Need opinion on travelling with 3 1/2 year old twins and a 2 1/2 year old

ginger123snaps

We are thinking about cruising Carnival Magic. We used to cruise all the time pre-children....this will be our first vacation with the kids. Are the oceanviews for a family of five large enough? Would you recommend getting two balconys? We are really worried about having all the kids in a room at night..with access to a balcony. Should we worry about this? When we cruised, we never paid attention to child safety.

We cruised when my youngest was 2 1/2 in adjoining balconies. i really wasn't comfortable with this - not so much with the balcony, but it's possible for the child to exit the stateroom as there are no security locks on the door. I would go for everyone in an oceanview. An oceanview will generally have as much room as, and sometimes more room than, a balcony.

We are thinking about cruising Carnival Magic. We used to cruise all the time pre-children....this will be our first vacation with the kids. Are the oceanviews for a family of five large enough? Would you recommend getting two balconys? We are really worried about having all the kids in a room at night..with access to a balcony. Should we worry about this? When we cruised, we never paid attention to child safety.

Ginger123snaps

we have soon to be 3yr old twins & 7yr old. We have only cruised w/ kids & ~9 times in the past 6 yrs. DOn;t know the Disney ships super well, but on the Wonder we can only get a verandah cat 4 for a family of five-- everything else in lower categories you have to get 2 cabins-- so yes plenty of room in OV w/ 2 connecting cabins. If you are allowed to have 5 in an OV-- it will pretty squishy in a ~185sf cabin. My friend also has twins & refuses to get a balcony-- she doesn't want to have to worry about the kids. We have had balconies the last 3 cruises w/ the kids & hasn't bothered us- they don't open the balcony door on their own- we don't leave it propped open (you aren't supposed to anyways). 2 OV would be fine for your family & if it makes you sleep better not having a balcony-- sounds like a great option. Some feel that it is nice to have the balcony so while the munchkins nap you can relax on the balcony-- for the mexican riviera I don't find it necessary to relax on the balcony on sea days staring at endless blue ocean (but we are on the water alot outside of cruiseships-- so this is personal). Depends what your itinerary is- we like to nap when they nap.

the last few cruises there havent been upper door locks-- so if a child is strong enough they can open the door-- last cruise the little ones were in cribs-- we are all in a suite next cruise vs 2 cabins-- they will likely not be sleeping in cribs

I think your problem with the family OV is that two of the beds are drop-down bunks. One is over the sofabed, the other is over the twins that they won't out together into a queen if the bunk is used. EM

I truly doubt that children that young could even open the balcony door....and if you have connecting cabins, you'll keep the connecting door open....you'll hear any activity in their room. No worries.

If you are all in 1 room, get a balcony...you really need a space to be "away" from the kids when they're in bed...

Personally, I'd do 2 connecting cabins for the space alone. 2 adults and 3 kids is just too many bodies in that one space....not the ideal "vacation" feeling!

A quick glance at the Magic deck plans confirms what I thought I remembered from booking our cruise on the Dream. There are cove balcony rooms that have connector doors. Some sleep 3 and some sleep 2- example: Main deck 2272 sleeps 3 and 2268 sleeps 2. With the connector door open you and DH could put the kids to bed in one room and enjoy the balcony from the other room (without having to go in & out the balcony door where the little ones are sleeping.

There are interior connected cabins and connected OVs too. You just have book early to get them because they always seem to be the first booked.

The balcony doors have sliding locks on them that are about 5' off the floor - no way your little ones are reaching it. I would go with 2 connecting rooms, or even consider a suite - don't know if they let 5 in a room on those.

While I have not been on the Dream, I have done a Cat 12 suite on the Fascination. That room is almost twice the size of a reguar room, with a bigger balcony. The sofa unfolded to a queen? bed, which would be more than enough room for 3 of your little ones - if CCL will allow it.

Archived