Bushwacker

cruiseshark5

• 4 weeks later...
Just about any bar on the island can make a bushwacker. The ship's bartenders will make them also - but some of the bartenders make the drink with pineapple juice which takes away from the chocolaty wonderfulness.

We have bushwacker parties here at home twice a year; everyone is hooked on them.

It's true about the ship's bartenders making bushwhackers, but every one of them does it differently. I fell in love with the bushwhacker at Cane Garden Bay this past January and kept asking for one on the ship. They all came back differently - so if you don't want orange juice, say so. I have had a negative reaction to amaretto and one of them put amaretto in it, but he gladly re-made it for me without that. The one I had was a frozen blended drink of kahlua, dark rum, creme de cacao and cream of coconut. YUM!!

The one I had was a frozen blended drink of kahlua, dark rum, creme de cacao and cream of coconut. YUM!!

That's how I like it too. I also add a little milk to get the consistency just right. Bushwackers are like Painkillers; everyone makes them a little differently. (My favorite Painkiller is the one they make at Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke, they use vanilla rum. YUMM!)

• 1 month later...

Yes, you can get bushwackers at other places, but do THEY have the souvenir mug? http://paradisepointtramway.com/limin.html :D

If you click on the "bushwacker" link, it gives you the recipe. I did the $28 limin' package. Going through the cruise line would have been less $, but I squeezed this little excursion in at the last minute.

Yes, you can get bushwackers at other places, but do THEY have the souvenir mug? http://paradisepointtramway.com/limin.html :D

If you click on the "bushwacker" link, it gives you the recipe. I did the $28 limin' package. Going through the cruise line would have been less $, but I squeezed this little excursion in at the last minute.

What cruiseline offers a discount?? We are sailing on Princess and I do not see anything. Thanks1

The Bushwacker is a Virgin Islands creation. Yes, you can get it most everywhere in the VI. If anyone puts anything but liquor in in, it is a wannabe. There is no chocolate syrup, ice cream or other additives in the real deal. It should have a bunch of liquors, and those vary from bartender to bartender. Typically Kahlua, Bailey's, rum, vodka, creme de cacao, amaretto are the basis for one. Have fun tasting!;)

The RCCL tour price was only $19. Regular price is $21. Only a couple of dollars - not a big deal.

That's what NCL charged as well and they offered a money back guarantee that if you didn't find the time to go there and didn't use the tickets, you could get your money back.

The Bushwacker is a Virgin Islands creation. Yes, you can get it most everywhere in the VI. If anyone puts anything but liquor in in, it is a wannabe. There is no chocolate syrup, ice cream or other additives in the real deal. It should have a bunch of liquors, and those vary from bartender to bartender. Typically Kahlua, Bailey's, rum, vodka, creme de cacao, amaretto are the basis for one. Have fun tasting!;)

...and Coco Lopez (according to Paradise point)

mitsu: I hear what you are saying. I am saying that they are taking short cuts. Look for a bartender who uses all alcoholic ingredients. The whole concept of this drink is/was that alcohol is cheaper than the fillers. Many purveyors try to create a taste by changing ingredients. Paradise Point is not the standard for beverages in St Thomas. ;)

mitsu: I hear what you are saying. I am saying that they are taking short cuts. Look for a bartender who uses all alcoholic ingredients. The whole concept of this drink is/was that alcohol is cheaper than the fillers. Many purveyors try to create a taste by changing ingredients. Paradise Point is not the standard for beverages in St Thomas. ;)

Yea, I see what you are saying. I was just going by what I read for the ingredients on the site at Paradise and I've read several times on here that Paradise was one of the ones that started the Bushwacker. Whether that's true or not, I have no clue. Just what I read. So, I figured they were the "makers" of the drink. Either way, I LOVED it, whether it was the right way or not. It was YUMMY :D

Archived