Booking an accessible room

Oceanwench

That is BS when people who don't use chairs book those rooms, especially as they are limited. That is why I kind of like the way RC does their booking. They require that a physician fill out a form and confirm that they utilize a chair and would need extra accessibility. They told me that they do this now because they were getting a lot of people booking these rooms who did not need them.

to have the handicap room.....and I don't mean the **sniffles**.

So....let's ponder this.....if the cruise line has all the handicap rooms booked and then a HC person attempts to book... Will they upgrade them to a **suite** with wide doors???? Seems only fair.

If I recall, someone early on in this thread stated that a cruise line was allowing AB people to book HC with the understanding that they must **give it up** if needed. And....more than likely, the displaced AB person would probably get an upgrade!

Hmmmm....

Flyfisher, I don't think that is ever going to happen. As they say, first come, first served. If a certain catagory is full, one has to pay more (or less as the case may be) and pick a different catagory. If the cruise line moves somebody out of the cabin that they booked (as they should if a handicapped person needs it), there is nothing wrong with giving a perk to make up for it. If a cabin that somebody wants is not available, they should not expect a much better cabin without paying for it. That is why we book so far in advance- why should a handicapped person get the handicapped cabin and somebody who did not plan as carefully be given a much bigger and better cabin without paying for it?

Benita,

I think the point is that ABs should not be allowed to book a H/C cabin, unless it remains unsold at the last minute. What is happening is that ABs ARE booking handicapped cabins because they are bigger, with the idea that they MIGHT be moved, and if they ARE moved, they are probably bumped up to a higher category..........it's a win/win for the ABs, and a real loser for those that need the HC cabins, as they are NEVER bumped up because there are no suites or mini suites (on Princess, anyway) that are HC.

Perhaps EVERY cruiser should fill out a short medical form so that ship's doctors can be somewhat prepared for likely problems, thereby sorting out those that are entitled to book HC cabins from the AB cruisers that dont really NEED those cabins.

I agree. Handicapped cabins should not be given to the nonhandicapped until the last minute (unless the ship is sold out- no reason for the cruise line to keep cabins empty if they are the last ones left). Royal Caribbean, on our last cruise, used the two handicapped junior suites as perks for able bodied Diamond Plus members. We had booked a non-handicapped veranda stateroom six months earlier and then I had an accident and was wheelchair dependent during the time of the cruise. When I called to try to switch to a handicapped cabin they said they were all full and could not help me. Only after making a pest on myself and calling regularly (and reminding them that I was a Diamond member) did the manager admit that there was a balcony cabin that had been given to an able bodied passenger. He arranged to switch our cabins.

There are so few handicapped cabins available, they really should be kept empty until 1) booked by handicapped, 2)last cabins available before ship is sold out or 3) sailing day. They can always upgrade somebody into it at the port.

Where I differ with the earlier poster is if all the handicapped cabins are booked by the handicapped, the cruise lines should not be obligated to give up a suite at no extra charge to accomodate a latecomer.

Thanks for the link to the Princess thread. I just posted on it.

I haven't been reading this thread here in a while. I just want to say that the biggest problem seems to be the AB passengers who look at booking an HC cabin as a "win-win" situation.

They figure that they get an extra big room if they stay, or they get a free upgrade if they are bumped by a person who needs the HC room.

This attitude has to stop, and it is up to the cruise lines to do it.

Right now there is a person on the HAL thread talking about an HC room, how big it was, and how wonderful ... and she notes that no one in her party was HC.

I posted to ask her how long in advance she booked it. I'm interested in reading her reply.

I agree with those who think cruise lines should require a doctor's note.

Make it just like an HC parking permit. There will always be cheaters, but at least try to curb the booking of HC rooms by AB pax.

Right now there is a person on the HAL thread talking about an HC room, how big it was, and how wonderful ... and she notes that no one in her party was HC.

I posted to ask her how long in advance she booked it. I'm interested in reading her reply.

I would also be interested in knowing this. Please reply to this thread when you find out. Thanks Oceanwench :D

Linda

:mad: I am going on a cruise on Princess in May. I am on a roll call. AB people on the roll call are calling princess and getting switched to handicapped cabins because they release them at 70 days out apparently. I am appalled. What is worse, they are telling other people on the roll call (thru private e-mail))to do the same. I am now not looking forward to meeting these people. I am travelling in a normal cabin................I would give my eye teeth just to have grab bars in my bathroom so I can get up from the toilet without throwing my back out. (MY MD make my legs and arms very weak and my back tries to make up for it.) I will not book a handicapped cabin until I am unable to walk. How can you tell I am stubborn. :rolleyes: I thought these people were so nice but now I dont know. Wish I didnt know now. They thought they were giving me a tip on how to get a bigger cabin. Boy, did they send the e-mail to the wrong person. How am I going to be able to look at these people.

So sorry just had to vent as I am hotter than heck. You could see the steam coming out of my ears if you could see me.

When will AB people realize that handicapped cabins are for handicapped people. Gheez!

Linda

:mad: I am going on a cruise on Princess in May. I am on a roll call. AB people on the roll call are calling princess and getting switched to handicapped cabins because they release them at 70 days out apparently. I am appalled. What is worse, they are telling other people on the roll call (thru private e-mail))to do the same. I am now not looking forward to meeting these people. I am travelling in a normal cabin................I would give my eye teeth just to have grab bars in my bathroom so I can get up from the toilet without throwing my back out. (MY MD make my legs and arms very weak and my back tries to make up for it.) I will not book a handicapped cabin until I am unable to walk. How can you tell I am stubborn. :rolleyes: I thought these people were so nice but now I dont know. Wish I didnt know now. They thought they were giving me a tip on how to get a bigger cabin. Boy, did they send the e-mail to the wrong person. How am I going to be able to look at these people.

So sorry just had to vent as I am hotter than heck. You could see the steam coming out of my ears if you could see me.

When will AB people realize that handicapped cabins are for handicapped people. Gheez!

Linda

That is just awful. I wish people would realize what they are doing, but some people are so selfish that they only care about benefiting themself. If I were you, I'd speak up about it.

Have you had a handicap cabin on the Coral?

My parents and I will be sharing one on the Plaza deck.

We had one on the NCL Star last year and it was really

roomy and had plenty of storage space for the 4 of us.

(my grandson came along on that cruise) this time it

will just be the 3 of us. What I liked about the Star

was that 3 of single beds were on the floor. I understand

on the Coral I will be sleeping in a berth. Just wondering about

the size and storage of the Coral.

thanks,

Sharon

Hi Umbarger, Do you know how much space is there between the bed and the corner cabinet in a mini suite ? Can the beds be moved over to allow for 24 inches space???

If so I do not have to book a handicapped cabin. My daughter can be lifted over the bed but for a fourteen day cruise that will get tiring for us. I do not want a handicapped cabin if I can avoid having one. I am like you,save those cabins for the people that cannot cruise any other way..Connie

Yes this subject gets me steaming.

I must travel with a scooter because of CHF and the sloppy way that cruise lines and TA's deal with this issue steams me.

When AB people book a HDC room that room is taken off of the available inventory so it cannot even be considered for use by anyone. So then the cruise line offers to put you on a wait list. Problem is that the wait list is room spicfic not for type of room. So a HDC room can come open but if you were not in line for that room you would not get it.

TA's in my mind are cash whores and will do anything to get a booking in and paid for including breaking moral rules to provide HDC rooms simply to provide a larger space. I cannot fault someone who because of a lack of experience or knowledge accepts these rooms. After all the people they are dealing with are supposed to be experts and understand the rules.

The low life pond scum that request our needed rooms unnecessarliy are the ones I would run over with my scooter if I knew who they were.

I have only had 5 cruises and it has taken me that long to beging to understand the in's and out's of scooter travel. So there is no need for me to flame anyone who is the victim of the cruise industries greed.

Celebrity will give lip service that a doctors letter is required but never require it. They waitlist you for a room not a class. Their efforts are the best for tendering and excursions.

RCI sucks in all areas

HAL did require me to fill out a form for the HDC room but that I believe was because I used one of their sales rep direct. It was never required booking through a TA. Their tendering policy sucks and they show no compassion to provide you access to tender ports.

To get around the main problems I do book as much as a year in advance. I also call the cruise lines special needs department and get full details of availabilty of rooms and services. You need to do this to protect yourself from greedy and unskilled TA's. So even if you get answers you don't like check with special needs and don't be afraid to ask for a supervisor to make sure you get the best information. Always get names of who you talk to and what they say and if your still unsatisified write a letter to the CEO and make it special delivery return recite requested.

I feel better and I hope this helps someone sometime in the future.

Can a handicapped person wanting to find out if there is a handicapped cabin occupied by an AB person on a cruise they wish to take, so that the cruise line can reassign the AB to another cabin? I am wondering what Princess policy is for this, lets say they give the cabin 70 days out to an AB person, does Princess then make a note on this cabin, saying that the AB has to be reassigned if there is a handicapped person needing the cabin??

Thanks

When AB people book a HDC room that room is taken off of the available inventory so it cannot even be considered for use by anyone.

Jukeboxy answered your question before you asked it.

I have called cruise lines trying to find space in a handicapped cabin but they refuse to check if passengers booked in it were AB or not. Its a matter of privacy they said. Even if you put in the booking you are AB. The cabin is out of the inventory.......booked.......sold........period........end of story.

So, when AB people book a handicapped cabin even 70 days out they are taking the cabin from a handicapped person. Hope this answered your question.

Linda

I do not know if they will still do so, but twice in the past, Carnival called passengers booked in the HC cabins to see if they really needed one. Both times they were able to locate a cabin for us.

There is no "notation" in the res system to indicate if the passenger ocupying the accessible cabin is AB or dis. Del's post above about Carnival is the first instance I've heard of a cruise line inquiring *before* embarkation about dis status (or lack thereof).

I do know (first hand experience -- witnessed it) that on two occaisions RCI and NCL asked passsengers upon embarkation (if it was not apparent they had a mobility disability) if they had a disabilty that required the use of an accessible room. In both cases the passengers were found to be AB and assigned to another cabin, so that a wc-user could have the accessible cabin. Of course the ABs didn't check into their cabin until later in the day, so the wc-user just had to kind of "hang out" until they determined the outcome, so it wasn't exactly convienent, however in the end he did get an accesssible cabin.

Candy

There is no "notation"/flag in the res system to indicate if the passenger ocupying the accessible cabin is AB. Del's post above about Carnival is the first instance I've heard of a cruise line inquiring *before* embarkation about dis status (or lack thereof).

I do know (first hand experience -- witnessed it) that on two occaisions RCI and NCL asked passsengers upon embarkation (if it was not apparent they had a mobility disability) if they had a disabilty that required the use of an accessible room. In both cases the passengers were found to be AB and assigned to another cabin, so that a wc-user could have the accessible cabin. Of course the ABs didn't check into their cabin until later in the day, so the wc-user just had to kind of "hang out" until they determined the outcome, so it wasn't exactly convienent, however in the end he did get an accesssible cabin.

Candy

Hint: The handicap-accessible staterooms on Magic are enormous, and the aft balcony accessible staterooms have huge verandahs (some are 30-ft. long) as well. If you don't mind a white-wall balcony, consider one of these, although wheelchair-bound guests have priority.

The quote above came from the official cruise critic review of the Disney Magic, so look for more problems booking a HC room because they are larger.

Sherry

I posted to Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America and Royal Caribbean boards about the problem of non handicapped people booking HC cabins in advance. I also posted to Laura requesting her to review the Disney Magic review which was encouraging people to think about booking a HC cabin. She and the reviewer agreed that this was inappropriate and have revised the review.

By just discussing this problem on the Disabled board where people are already aware of the problems within the cruise industry doesn't help to educate those who would never think twice about this issue and allow those who are abusing the system to continue to do so.

If you read the responses to this thread you will realize that it did what I wanted...to open the topic up for discussion and enlighten those not disabled to the needs of the handicapped in regards to the need of HC cabins. There will always be people who will see this as another way to beat the system, but the majority of cruisers will understand and be wiser.

Carol

I have seen it openly discussed on other CC boards how wonderful it is to book an HC room.

I have posted to these threads about the fact that the number of HC rooms is very limited and these rooms should not be booked by AB people.

I may get one or two sympathetic replies, but more often than not I get flamed.

There are many, many people who look at a deck plan and think, "Whoa, look at that, there are 2 verandah cabins bigger than all the others! I want that one!"

And they ignore the HC logo ...

And they rationalize it.

"Why shouldn't I book it? If an HC person hasn't booked it, then I should be able to."

OR

"Hey, if an HC comes along and wants it, then I'll get a free upgrade!"

It's hard to educate some people who have not experienced first-hand how difficult life can be for a person with handicaps.

The attitude of some selfish cruisers just sickens me.

We had requested for a member of our group to get switched from an AB cabin to an HC cabin because he had an unexpected health problem and is now an amputee (our cruise isn't until August) -- and I'm please to say that I finally heard today (after a month of waiting) that HAL has freed up a handicapped room for my friends. It is one category up so they will have to pay $69 per person more than they were paying, but I think they will be fine with that. It is right next to the elevators and looks twice the size of the regular staterooms. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix, obviously someone was "bumped" or asked to switch to make it available.

• 3 weeks later...
Do these wc-users have the parking placards?

If so, how did they obtain them?

It's my understanding that one has to have a doctor's recommendation/signature before one can get a placard.

[information provided by DH, who knows such things!]

We have never been asked for documentation to book an accessible room on HAL ships.

If we were to be asked, however, we would be happy to provide all kinds of doctors' letters.

I agree with Arlene ... I think those who would do the most squawking would be the people who have no disability -- but are looking for a bigger room for their $$$.

And Carol is right: Were some of these people to experience what it's like to be in a wheelchair, their attitude might change.

As all truly disabled know this is all to true.......

Anyone can get a placard, larger hotel or cruise room, bulkhead seating on airlines, etc., etc., etc. It is even to the point that it is a prestigious thing to not be disabled and have the so called perks that they think go with it. It is the most abused thing I have ever seen and the abusers think it is funny that they can get away with it.

The hotel industry is starting to make W/C rooms in what they call "parlor suites", the disabled have to pay extra for these because they are considered suites. The other trick is only putting a double bed in an accessible room so you have to get 2 rooms, the other being for the spouse or caregiver.... I am starting to believe the industry does not want the disabled business.

We wrote to our senator about this issue here in California and just got blowen off with him sending us a 100+ page legislation on it to just boggle our minds and drown us in written babble.

The people that are abusing the WHOLE disabled thing should "rot in hell". They are the ones that get so defensive and laugh in your face that they are getting away with it, it's like a private club to them and yes it is going on in increasing numbers.

We just booked a RCCL cruise 2 weeks ago for January 2006 and all outer accessible rooms where booked except for one way down on the 6th deck. I would be real surprised to learn the disabled are booking that far in advance.

The whole industry needs to address this issue from placards to travel, the pressure needs to be applied by the disabled.

As you can see It is a touchy subject for me and it's my wife who is confined to the chair. The truly disabled don't get to use these aids! With her disability we have a large number of friends, good people and good friends that have disabilities and it erks me endlessly to see what they go through everyday......

Well I'm done blowing off my steam and hope it gets better for all of you and your families. I doubt the rude, self-centered individuals abusing these things will ever change, especially since they have proved that they have bragging rights.......

Johnny:

Although I agree with much of what you said, I don't with the following statement you made (sorry I'm having trouble using the quote thingy).

We just booked a RCCL cruise 2 weeks ago for January 2006 and all outer accessible rooms where booked except for one way down on the 6th deck. I would be real surprised to learn the disabled are booking that far in advance.

Actually a large percentage of PWDs book as far as a year in advance (I know some folks looking at 2007 now). With such a small selection of accessible cabins you pretty much have to book a year out to get the accessible cabin you really want (or sometimes any accessible cabin at all).

Candy

Archived