Porthole room on Triumph was rough!!

car7brg

We just got off Triumph, had 2217 in the front. OK, Alex was coming out to play quite a bit, but still. When the waves hit the front, it sounded like a truck hit the side of the boat, both sides. We heard it all. I expected a little noise, but with the rough seas we barely slept. The Triumph was great, I will write a review later this weekend, but the front Main deck was so loud and rocky. We could tell a difference from walking down the hallway. You never know what you are going to get weather wise, so be ready if you book up front!

I was in the same room on the Splendor and it was GREAT! Of course, no rough waters...Unluck of the draw I guess:)

Pulling into and leaving port were noisey for about 15-20 minutes tho.

We have thrown in a few of those cabins just to go again. The noise getting into port is our wake up call.....we know to get up and around and we got places to go! :) Sounds/rocking of the ocean we love!

Will do it again!

Kat

Yep, I agree. We've had a couple of those forward cabins on Conquest class ships, and it can get REALLY NOISY! Glad you had a great cruise other than that. I'd guess you had a really good rest on the loungers around the aft pool during the afternoon! :D

"SKY"

I've got main deck cabin 14 on the Fascination, will I feel the rocking of the ship? Didn't mean to interupt, but you brought up a good subject.

Yes you will feel motion, but how much depends on how the waves are hitting and from which direction. There is no place onboard that you won't feel motion, but sea conditions determine how much you will feel and whether you will be affected by it. Now, what you won't hear is the boom of the waves hitting the hull the way those on lower decks do because you are so far above the water line.

We just got off Triumph, had 2217 in the front. OK, Alex was coming out to play quite a bit, but still. When the waves hit the front, it sounded like a truck hit the side of the boat, both sides. We heard it all. I expected a little noise, but with the rough seas we barely slept. The Triumph was great, I will write a review later this weekend, but the front Main deck was so loud and rocky. We could tell a difference from walking down the hallway. You never know what you are going to get weather wise, so be ready if you book up front!

You are exactly right. Those low forward cabins are too noisy to sleep in if the seas are even slightly rough. The water pounding on the hull is like hammers banging on a metal plate all night long.

This reminds me of my experience with the porthole windows. NEVER AGAIN! We didn't even have any tropical storms or NOTHING and that's all we heard were the waves pounding the side of the boat. It was so rocky, I was sure I was going to fall out of bed at any minute. And it was the first time I got sick being on the ship, too.

I saw where the Triumph was reporting 22 foot seas at one point last week. I bet that was fun! :p I've never been down that low, but on one cruise was forward up on the Panorama deck when we hit some rocky seas and could still hear the waves crashing below us. I knew it was getting crazy when all the stuff on the bathroom shelves fell off and I felt like I was on a roller coaster. I love it, though.

I will certainly believe the 22 foot waves, we saw them! It was crazy. There was a woman on Panorama who was completely sick the first night and she cruises all the time. I am actually still feeling the movement, and we got off Thursday! It is a cheaper cabin, but I would do inside middle before I would ever do a porthole again. You never know what you will get in weather and we just didn't like it. To each his own, some can handle it better than me!

Don't think the weater was the cause. I was in a 1A Porthole cabin on my September 9, 2009 Freedom cruise and felt like I was in a war zone. I even called to ask why the noise was so loud . . . first time ever experienced that noise. It was more so in the evening when even a small wave would hit the ship. Never got an answer but hope my 4K cabin on the Pride isn't like that. Last time I was on the Pride, my son got his military discount and had a fantastic balcony cabin.

Yeehaww! Ride-em cowboy..

Worst day cruising better than the best day working.....

Glad you enjoyed the rest.

We've always had aft cabins, usually on the higher levels. The next two cruises we're booked in forward cabins, both in porthole rooms. We're interested in seeing what the difference is and how we'll like them compared to what we normally get.

Was in 1211 on my recent Valor cruise - I think the 'noise' is weather dependent! On the 1st night out there was some slight 'banging' due to the waves - but certainly not like hammers pounding? Once we were in calmer/caribbean waters the noise was not that obvious. I would recommend however getting a cabin on the odd/port side as the anchor is on the starboard bow side and if you are at a tender port you will most definitely hear it being dropped early in the morning and wonder if a freight train is going thru your cabin! :D:d

I'm sure it depends on the weather. The noise and vibrations on the starboard side during docking shook the cabin, but that was expected and no problem. The waves were just constant and large since we were skirting a huricane. It was not too loud one night. I just want people who are not used to these cabins, as we have only sailed one other time in a middle lower ocean view cabin, to know what they might expect. It was more like trucks for us, not hammers! They shook the cabin too.

So those of you that have booked those low, forward cabins......does it sound like hammers hitting the outside of the ship or is it just waves hitting? :confused:

It's about like someone playing a HUGH Bass Drum all night....BOOOOOMMMM,,,,,,,BOOOOOOMMMM!

"SKY"

My family and I had a forward ....way forward, porthole cabin on the now extinct SS Norway. Absolutly loved it. Even on calm seas you could hear the sound of the sea against the hull as the ship sliced through the water. With a little wave action the sound was louder but never could have been confused with a hammer on steel plate... just a ship at sea.

The "noise", (I prefer to call it sound) was very soothing and would lul you to sleep. Even when louder and loud is a relative term, it was enjoyable even a little romantic (wished those kids weren't around sometimes).lol

If you want to experience the feeling of truley being at sea book a forward porthole cabin. If you need complete silence and want to feel like you're in a hotel room steer clear.

As for me, give me a littel atmoshere, bring on the sounds of the sea!!!

Archived