Mango Mojito $5.75

Mimosa $7.75

Malibu $5.50

Pina Colada $6.25

Peach Daquiri 6.75

Frozen Mojito $7.00

Mocha Berry Coffee $6.00

Bottle Pelligrino $6.75

Just went through my receipts for you. Just back from Explorer yesterday.

Do most folks think these are expensive drink prices?

I am not keen on cocktails, I drink the wine and think thats expensive for average wine.

I just came off Brilliance and paid $10 at the pool bar for a glass of Pinot -- I believe it was a 3 oz glass. (Only made this mistake once!) We did purchase a wine pkg and although you're overpaying for the actual quality of wine you're getting, it's still a better deal than paying by the glass. If you like your wine with dinner, probably best to get a pkg. If you don't finish a full bottle at dinner, it can be saved for you the next night or you can take it with you to your room and have it the next afternoon if you like!

I just came off Brilliance and paid $10 at the pool bar for a glass of Pinot -- I believe it was a 3 oz glass. (Only made this mistake once!) We did purchase a wine pkg and although you're overpaying for the actual quality of wine you're getting, it's still a better deal than paying by the glass. If you like your wine with dinner, probably best to get a pkg. If you don't finish a full bottle at dinner, it can be saved for you the next night or you can take it with you to your room and have it the next afternoon if you like!

I would have said something to the waiter. It might just be the luck of who is pouring your drink. I can't say that any of our glasses of wine were 3 oz pours on our last cruise. More like 4-5 oz which is probably average.

Drummond. I travelled on IoS Western Med in July 2009.

In Spring 2009 RCCL bar prices were higher (in $$s) ex UK than on other cruises. That plus the bad exchange rate caused a near riot. I understand that the bar staff complained because they were losing tips on the ex UK cruises. As a result RCCL re-designated the bar tariff as inclusive of tip. In effect this was a 13% price drop for the Med cruises. But in the bar bill we were invited to add a discretionary tip if we wanted to reward exceptional service. This caused a bit of confusion.

So

1. don’t assume that these prices are universal

2. check whether the bar bill includes service

3. Simple mixed drinks like Gin n tonics, rum n cokes, mojitos were reasonable value for us Brits because they were trebles. Wine was expensive but buying a package reduced prices by about 15% ish (stick to the cheapest one). Beer was expensive but as it was catspi$$ lager who cared!

There probably should be a complete new category added to CC for C.A.B Cruisers - Cheap A** Bast**** who will only be happy if the cruise industry pays them to cruise on their ships. Of course, as my Grandma used to say, "you get what you pay for":rolleyes:

BTW, I'll be on a different cruiseline the day that happens:p

Ouch , i personaly expect to pay more for drinks when on holiday as most hotel bars are more expensive than buying in a local bar , i really dont mind that at all as i am not a C.A.B , what i dont like is being ripped off ,especially when you hear that the prices are lowered for different itenaries , seeing is believing so i wont know till my next cruise in september , I loved cruising with RCI , the Navigator was a lovely ship and the crew were so friendly , will this put me off future cruises with them , no of course not , i will just drink less :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I was in a hotel in Minneapolis (MN,USA) last weekend and for a tap beer and a captain morgan and coke it was $11.00, so I don't think the prices on the ship are horribly out of line. If you buy drinks at TGI Fridays you pay 6 or so for a mixed drink. So...about the same.

I'm not a Bud drinker, but I am a good beer drinker ;) and I only drink a fraction of what I would if I thought beer was reasonably priced. Seriously, $5 - $6 per beer is ridiculous because, as you pointed out, three to four beers at RC prices would buy me a case back home. I just won't pay it for more than a few.

My bar tab for a 7 day cruise is usually between $50 - $75. I have no problem spending money on a cruise; I expect to. But I don't like spending money when I feel like I'm getting ripped off and I definitely feel that way when ordering drinks. I'd easily spend 3 - 4 times the "normal" amount if there was just a moderate upcharge over what I'd pay in a bar or restaurant.

I agree 100%. When you don't feel like you're getting ripped off, it somehow makes it more reasonable to buy more drinks...even if you end up spending more in the end!

Seriously, $5 - $6 per beer is ridiculous because, as you pointed out, three to four beers at RC prices would buy me a case back home. I just won't pay it for more than a few.

Last cruise, domestic bottle of 12 oz beer was $4.25. You will pay more in a nice hotel or good restaurant. If I go to a baseball or hockey game, same beer is $7.

My bar tab for a 7 day cruise is usually between $50 - $75.

And that would be my bar tab two hours into the cruise.

What's the "Naughty Room"?

The "naughty room" is where your luggage is held if it is found to contain alcohol.

Just off Indy and the cheapest glass of wine in Chops was $13, still seems expensive to me from the UK.

Cruisediva, no those prices don't really seem outrageous IMHO. Still, I think I ought to be allowed to bring a bottle of scotch aboard for a nightcap on my balcony if it is my custom. That is where I disagree with RCCL on this.

EXACTLY! I drink two brands of scotch: Lagavulin and Laphroaig. If they aren't going to carry a good, peaty single malt, they should at least let me bring a bottle of my own. I'll be attempting the Rum Runner route this coming weekend as we board. I'd rather take a shot. If they confiscate the liquor, oh well.

Totally agree, we sailed on the Princess last month, we were allowed to bring wine and champagne on board for consumption on our balcony, we bought 2 bottles of liquor back from port and ran it thru the machine, they handed it to us! Amazing since I keep hearing other threads on different cruise lines sneaking stuff in. I am considering a cruise on RCCL but getting a little concerned about not being allowed to even bring a bottle of wine.

Cruisediva, no those prices don't really seem outrageous IMHO. Still, I think I ought to be allowed to bring a bottle of scotch aboard for a nightcap on my balcony if it is my custom. That is where I disagree with RCCL on this.

For the people advocating that RCI lower prices to increase unit purchases (and thus overall revenue) I think there may be a counteracting goal at work. For some time now there have been threads about people being cut-off for over consumption and there has been a policy by RCL to avoid having people getting too affected. Perhaps the high markup is a way to balance that goal with the goal of maintaining profit level. Price putting the braks on consumption a bit without tanking the total revenues level too much.

I find the prices to be a lot higher than places I go to very often. Did run in to the situation about top shelf liqour being used in a drink at a resort we stayed at last month. Found out the $9 Manhattans were made with Maker's Mark instead of a Well or House Bourbon.

Price does not induce me to smuggle though as much as convenience for having a drink in cabin. If room service was speedy (15 min instead of 45) it might make a big difference.

grey goose on the rocks $7.00

French martini $8.00

Mojito $6.00

Malibu Baybreeze $6.00

Mango Mai Tai $6.00

Bahama Mama $8.25

Mango Mojito $5.75

Mimosa $7.75

Malibu $5.50

Pina Colada $6.25

Peach Daquiri 6.75

Frozen Mojito $7.00

Mocha Berry Coffee $6.00

Bottle Pelligrino $6.75

Just went through my receipts for you. Just back from Explorer yesterday.

Do most folks think these are expensive drink prices?

The drink prices are slightly on the high side, and I agree that they compare to bar prices in some parts of the country I think they are high enough to cause people to limit the amount they drink. I agree with the poster above that the wine and beer prices are the most out of line, $14 for a glass of wine and $6 for a beer is a bit steep. Especially when you consider the cruise lines biggest competition is shore based resorts in the Caribbean many of which are all inclusive. I have personally cut way back on the amount I drink on board and instead have a couple of beers on shore where you can find them for $1-$2 per bottle.

For the people advocating that RCI lower prices to increase unit purchases (and thus overall revenue) I think there may be a counteracting goal at work. For some time now there have been threads about people being cut-off for over consumption and there has been a policy by RCL to avoid having people getting too affected. Perhaps the high markup is a way to balance that goal with the goal of maintaining profit level. Price putting the braks on consumption a bit without tanking the total revenues level too much.

I find the prices to be a lot higher than places I go to very often. Did run in to the situation about top shelf liqour being used in a drink at a resort we stayed at last month. Found out the $9 Manhattans were made with Maker's Mark instead of a Well or House Bourbon.

Price does not induce me to smuggle though as much as convenience for having a drink in cabin. If room service was speedy (15 min instead of 45) it might make a big difference.

I have to admit I didn't think of it this way. While I feel I'd drink more if the prices were lower, maybe that's part of the tactic. Maybe they don't want people to go overboard (along with wanting to make money of course) so they don't have to deal with cutting people off all the time - especially on spring break cruises!...hmm...

• 4 months later...

Actually the mark-ups are worse then many realize since the cruise lines buy their booze duty-free which means they are not only paying a wholesale price...but they are not paying taxes (in many states this can add over 20% to a bottle of booze). That $7.99 bottle of Ravenswood Zin probably costs them about $4 which means the mark-up is in excess of 1000%.

Hank

Actually the mark-ups are worse then many realize since the cruise lines buy their booze duty-free which means they are not only paying a wholesale price...but they are not paying taxes (in many states this can add over 20% to a bottle of booze). That $7.99 bottle of Ravenswood Zin probably costs them about $4 which means the mark-up is in excess of 1000%.

Hank

Hank, did you have a specific purpose in resurrecting this thread?

i agree far too expensive my first time with RC I am sailing from malaga to lisbon in oct cant wait to see what the spanish make of these price where a half decent wine is 5euros I fear mutiny ,but if they are all over crowding the naughty room i might be overlooked

Again- more reasons to people to lobby for the drink packages to be rolled out fleet wide.

Archived