Great seafood place in FLL

Fighterone

Which place serves more like "Old Florida Style" seafood. By that I'm meaning the large fried shrimp and awesome hushpuppies I remember when traveling to florida growing up. I know, fried is bad but it is our fav. No frozen or everything fried in on pot of oil, if you know what I mean. We go to Murrells Inlet in Myrtle Beach and they have the best seafood by far...except from what I remember getting in Dayton when I was young. Any suggestions?

Southport and 15th Street Fisheries are the closest thing you'll find to either Murrells Inlet or old Florida style (I put myself through college at one of those in Myrtle Beach).

If you want to get to Aruba via City Bus from 17th St. Catch the 44 East towards A1A, get off at Las Olas and transfer (remember to ask for transfers) to the 11 north. Get off at Commercial Blvd and walk to Aruba (go towards the ocean). You'll get a nice little tour of Ft. Lauderdale and it's absolutely better than ANYTHING on 17th St.

http://www.broward.org/bct/Pages/Default.aspx

I have some questions about using the city bus. From the Hyatt Place North, where is the bus stop to catch the 44 East? Where do we buy our passes? Who do we ask for transfers? Is there a bus stop on Las Olas or do you have to tell the driver you want off. Are the buses safe to use after dark? How far is it from Commercial Blvd to Aruba? I assume you do the same route in reverse to get back to the hotel?

Sorry about all the questions but I live in a town in Kansas that doesn't even have a stop light! Our main street is only 1 mile long.

I have some questions about using the city bus. From the Hyatt Place North, where is the bus stop to catch the 44 East? Where do we buy our passes? Who do we ask for transfers? Is there a bus stop on Las Olas or do you have to tell the driver you want off. Are the buses safe to use after dark? How far is it from Commercial Blvd to Aruba? I assume you do the same route in reverse to get back to the hotel?

Sorry about all the questions but I live in a town in Kansas that doesn't even have a stop light! Our main street is only 1 mile long.

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and had a car, so I'm not 100% hip to the buses there. But I've used public transportation in large US cities and all over the world (Japan!). I'll give you a quick tutorial.

It's $1.50 per trip. You should have exact change, a single and two quarters, and you feed them into the device that's right by the driver. You can get a bus pass for 7 days for $13 and there's a place on the website where you can do it on-line and have them send it to you. When you get on the bus, after you've fed in your fare, ask for the transfer from the driver. Don't be offended if he or she seems aloof. They have to drive, as well as explain things, etc. Take the transfer and thank them. They don't have time for long explanations, but if you need extra help, you can say, "Can you let me know when we're at Commercial?" Usually, they'll make a point of letting you know, especially if you sit close by.

The transfer is typically good for one transaction and it has to be used within a proscribed amount of time. Usually you start off on one route going east/west, then you transfer to a north/south route. You can't go north, get off at your destination, do your business and then use the transfer to return. You'll have to pay another $1.50.

You'll meet all kinds of interesting folks on the bus. Some may make you uncomfortable. There may be a homeless person, or someone who might be mentally impaired. Don't even worry about it. Usually, they're using the bus to get where they need to go and they're not looking for trouble. You'll also meet students, older folks who don't drive, folks who are saving the environment, or people who don't drive.

The section of Ft. Lauderdale you'll be in is safe, so you shouldn't have any trouble. It will be fairly obvious that you're tourists, but take typical precautions.

I've met really interesting folks on public transportation, so if someone seems friendly, strike up a conversation.

Here's the transit website:

http://www.broward.org/bct/Pages/Default.aspx

Enjoy your adventure!

From Hyatt Place north, walk to 17th St. Do not cross the street. Look for the nearest 40 bus stop, by which there will be a sign with the number 40 on it. The bus will go east on 17th St, then the road will curve north and will become A1A. About a mile or two from that point,you will see Las Olas Blvd, which has a traffic light. The bus will continue straight on A1A and you can get off anywhere between Las Olas Blvd and Sunrise Blvd. Get off the bus and do not cross the street. Wait by a bus stop sign that has the number 11 on it. Ride the 11 bus north up A1A for about 4 miles and get off at Commercial Blvd. Aruba is on Commercial Blvd at the beach, about a block east of A1A. Reverse to get back, on the opposite sides of the street. Aruba is in the cute little seaside town of Lauderdale by the Sea. Between A1A and the beach you will find a few bars, shops, and restaurants. Kilwins has ice cream, chocolates, and fudge for dessert.

The Broward Transit website has a phone number that you can call to ask any questions that haven't been answered by me or RuthlessBunny.

Archived