Great seafood place in FLL

Fighterone

You will get lots of opinions...

I ate at Bimini Boatyard on 17th next to the Renaissance (maybe 3 blocks from the ES...on the other side of 17th...) and really enjoyed it...i didn't have seafood, but they have lots of seafood choices....

http://www.biminiboatyard.com/

Some people here have had mixed opinions but even the seafood looked very good..and I loved my pork dinner...

Others like 15th steet fisheries...i sent back 2 items for being overcooked and left.

kellys landing is practically across the street from you....never tried it, but many CCers mention this...

http://www.kellyslandingseafood.com/

that's a start....good luck...and you can scroll around this board too for ideas..

hmmm kellys has a nice menu...probably should have gone there but my brain forgot about it when i was IN FLL...sheesh.

Can verify this - the food is delicious and the prices were reasonable. Very tight quarters, though - tables close together, small place overall, but good food. The Mahi sandwich was unbelievable!!!

well guess i blew it by not remembering when i was there...ah well, mental note for the future......

well guess i blew it by not remembering when i was there...ah well, mental note for the future......

Meg, your information is most valuable. Thank you. I checked out both websites and am leaning towards Bimini mainly because of the information on the chef. Thank you

Can verify this - the food is delicious and the prices were reasonable. Very tight quarters, though - tables close together, small place overall, but good food. The Mahi sandwich was unbelievable!!! ......

The lobster looks absolutely great. I appreciate the information about the tight quarters. Thank you

We like the Quarterdeck. Nothing fancy buy good food and great happy hour prices. It was about a block from the Embassy.

We also tried Chuck's for steak that is right across the street and thought it was overpriced and the food not very good.

Southport Raw Bar. Kind of divey but good.

FWIW, good seafood isn't cheap.

Great suggestion, I checked out their site and loved the ambiance and the menu. Thank you

We like the Quarterdeck. Nothing fancy buy good food and great happy hour prices. It was about a block from the Embassy.

We also tried Chuck's for steak that is right across the street and thought it was overpriced and the food not very good.

Wendy, funny you mention these 2 restaurants. Before posting this thread, I had already pretty much made up my mind that we should go to Quarterdeck after cheching their menu and even decided...and posted on my FB page that I would be eating baby back ribs and fried shrimp there. It had been a toss up wit Chuck's Steakhouse whose site I had also thoroughly checked and found the prices to be high and the menu less descriptive than I would have liked. So thank you for mentioning the Quarterdeck and giving your impression fo Chuck's; he is definitely out since we are primarily looking for a seafood spot.

BTW, I e-mailed Bimini and Kelly's Landing Seafood to see if we should make a reservation to eat at about 1830 on a Saturday night and was impressed with Matt's immediate response at Kelly's Landing saying that since we were from out of town, he would put us down to make sure we got in since they normally do not take reservations for just 2. The pictures of their Maine lobster looks like quite a feast.

Right now, Bimini is still a favorite because of Chef Bennett's seafood specialties with Caribbean accents, quite some intersting dishes on the menu.

my pleasure...wish i had more time.....but i will have some new places to try in the future...

just remember, if you sit outside at Bimini and order seafood....you will have lots of multi-legged, winged pals! :eek: had i not witnessed it with my own eyes, i would have never guessed that every fly in Broward county would show up...

My opinions: Both Bimini Boatyard and 15th Street Fisheries are pleasant with decent seafood and reasonable prices. 15th St has a narrow edge in food quality. Neither is a "Great Seafood Place in FLL."

My opinions: Both Bimini Boatyard and 15th Street Fisheries are pleasant with decent seafood and reasonable prices. 15th St has a narrow edge in food quality. Neither is a "Great Seafood Place in FLL."

Not sure I understand what a "narrow edge means"and the last sentence. Thank you for your input. English is not my mother tongue and I sometimes have to ask the DH for translation.

What about the Aruba Cafe, anyone?

Aruba is the BEST!

The place is right on the beach, so you can watch the ocean as you dine. The bar is outstanding, with lots of tropical cocktail choices. The food....oh so good.

Aruba has been in Ft. Lauderdale since I moved there in 1990, so it's an institution at this point. The tables are comfortable. There are sliding glass doors instead of walls. They are open with the sea-breeze wafting in, lots of overhead fans to keep everyone cool.

I have eaten most of the menu and every item is outstanding. I admit that my weakness is the Jerk Chicken sandwich, they have this remoulade sauce on it that is my own, private addiction.

The fish dishes are great, fresh and delicious. They specialize in native species, grouper, snapper, but they also have other fish as well.

Conch fritters and fish dip are great appetizers.

Everyone on the board knows that I'll always recommend Aruba. If I win the lottery, I'll take everyone there! I love it that much!!!

Aruba is the BEST!

The place is right on the beach, so you can watch the ocean as you dine. The bar is outstanding, with lots of tropical cocktail choices. The food....oh so good.

Aruba has been in Ft. Lauderdale since I moved there in 1990, so it's an institution at this point. The tables are comfortable. There are sliding glass doors instead of walls. They are open with the sea-breeze wafting in, lots of overhead fans to keep everyone cool.

I have eaten most of the menu and every item is outstanding. I admit that my weakness is the Jerk Chicken sandwich, they have this remoulade sauce on it that is my own, private addiction.

The fish dishes are great, fresh and delicious. They specialize in native species, grouper, snapper, but they also have other fish as well.

Conch fritters and fish dip are great appetizers.

Everyone on the board knows that I'll always recommend Aruba. If I win the lottery, I'll take everyone there! I love it that much!!!

Aruba is great!

How far is Aruba Cafe from Hyatt Place North on 17th St? How would I get there? taxi? :confused:

It is 9 miles. It would cost about $30 each way by taxi. Although it's great and the little town that it's in is charming, I'm not sure it's worth it. You could walk to the water taxi and go to Charley's Crab, which is excellent and on the water.

It is 9 miles. It would cost about $30 each way by taxi. Although it's great and the little town that it's in is charming, I'm not sure it's worth it. You could walk to the water taxi and go to Charley's Crab, which is excellent and on the water.

Wow, if it costs $30 from the Hyatt on 17th, it will be the same from the Embassy Suites, they are just one block apart. You are right, that is a lot of $$$. How far ni $$$ is the Bimini Restaurant or Kelly's Landing?

Thank you for posting this Royalcruz

Wow, if it costs $30 from the Hyatt on 17th, it will be the same from the Embassy Suites, they are just one block apart. You are right, that is a lot of $$$. How far ni $$$ is the Bimini Restaurant or Kelly's Landing?

Thank you for posting this Royalcruz

Kellys is across the street from ES, on Cordova Rd in the west end of the Southport shopping center, and Bimini is about 3 blocks east, in the Quay.

Kellys is across the street from ES, on Cordova Rd in the west end of the Southport shopping center, and Bimini is about 3 blocks east, in the Quay.

Can we walk from the Embassy suites to Kelly's? It looks like there are sidewalks and pedestrian lanes to cross the street and would this area be safe?

Can we walk from the Embassy suites to Kelly's? It looks like there are sidewalks and pedestrian lanes to cross the street and would this area be safe?

Very easy to walk to Kelly's. We have done it from the Renaissance and Hyatt many times. Good food, casual, great service. We will dine there when we return in October.

Which place serves more like "Old Florida Style" seafood. By that I'm meaning the large fried shrimp and awesome hushpuppies I remember when traveling to florida growing up. I know, fried is bad but it is our fav. No frozen or everything fried in on pot of oil, if you know what I mean. We go to Murrells Inlet in Myrtle Beach and they have the best seafood by far...except from what I remember getting in Dayton when I was young. Any suggestions?

If you want to get to Aruba via City Bus from 17th St. Catch the 44 East towards A1A, get off at Las Olas and transfer (remember to ask for transfers) to the 11 north. Get off at Commercial Blvd and walk to Aruba (go towards the ocean). You'll get a nice little tour of Ft. Lauderdale and it's absolutely better than ANYTHING on 17th St.

http://www.broward.org/bct/Pages/Default.aspx

Which place serves more like "Old Florida Style" seafood. By that I'm meaning the large fried shrimp and awesome hushpuppies I remember when traveling to florida growing up. I know, fried is bad but it is our fav. No frozen or everything fried in on pot of oil, if you know what I mean. We go to Murrells Inlet in Myrtle Beach and they have the best seafood by far...except from what I remember getting in Dayton when I was young. Any suggestions?

If you look at the menu of the downstairs bar/casual restaurant at 15th St Fisheries, it might be closest to what you want. The only place where I've seen hush puppies on the menu is north of Fort Lauderdale in Deerfield Beach at Muddy Waters, and they were yummy!

Archived