Review- Veendam to Bermuda June 27, 2010

Elavie

Day 1-June 27, 2010 New York, New York

I was traveling with a group of nine for my grandparents 55th wedding anniversary. We arrived and moved very quickly through customs and security. When we arrived on board the ship we were told that the staterooms weren’t ready yet and that it was recommended we go to the Lido for lunch. My only complaint about the service that afternoon is that it was a bit disorganized. However this was mostly because you could not get any of your own food yet due to health precautions. Around 1:00 an announcement came on that the rooms were ready. So we trooped down to our rooms and found small, but well appointed interior cabins. Exactly what we expected. I was in one cabin with my parents, while my aunt and cousins were in another and my grandparents had a third. Our luggage had not yet arrived so we left our carry ons and went upstairs to sit in the sun until the 4:15 briefing on emergency procedures. Immediately following this we returned to the Retreat where we sat and watched as we sailed away from New York. Around 6:30 my entire family decided to have dinner up in the Lido. The food was good and the music, while not to my taste, was well played. Afterward we hung out in the Retreat for several hours enjoying the view. While we did not attend the show, my grandparents did and they enjoyed it. We returned to the cabin and settled in for our first night at sea.

Day 2- June 28. 2010 At Sea

We awoke late to the knocking of room service at our door. We ordered for around 8:30-9:00 and it came somewhere in that timeframe. We all took our time getting ready and then split up for the day. My brother went upstairs to the kid’s activites and absolutely loved them. He was never not busy and found a large group of friends. My parents and I decided to wander around and acquaint ourselves with the ship. My grandmother and I went to several of the talks that took place during the morning, and then headed off to lunch up in the Lido. The service had improved slightly and the food was once again excellent. I then took several hours to lounge by the pool and enjoy the hot tub. Around 3:30 I returned to the cabin to get ready for formal night. I wore a long halter dress and felt right at home during formal night. We had 5:45 reserved Upper seating and loved our table. Our dining stewards were incredible and answered any and all requests we made quickly. The food was excellent and while yes, dinner did drag out, it was not because of the stewards, merely that fact that you are eating 5 courses. They also immediately accommodated a request we had for my grandparents wedding anniversary. Afterward the entire family, minus my brother, attended the Broadway show. It was excellent. The quality of the singers was incredible and the music they choose to sing was perfect. The show centered around the costumes, which were all designed by Bob Mackey. The costumes were incredible. Just gorgeous. For anyone going on this cruise I would highly recommend the shows. Afterward we returned to our rooms for an early night. Especially since my mother and I had to catch the 8:30 tender to St. Georges. In the room we found a octopus waiting for us.

Day 3-June 29, 2010 St. George Bermuda

My mother and I woke up at 6:30 to our room service. We quickly ate in our room and prepared for our long day on land. We took the 5 hour Tour of Bermuda. Neither of us had ever been to Bermuda so this was a great way to get to know the island. The tenders were very crowded and only ran every other hour. Odd from the ship, even to the ship. Our tours was wonderful. We had an excellent tour guide, who had been born and raised on the island. She knew every nook and cranny, and every story and rumor. She gave us bathroom breaks, and even got us to Dockyard with enough time for us to take over an hour for lunch. When we returned to St. George, my mother and I visited the unfinished Church, and St. Peter’s Church. We then slowly made our way to the tender for the 4:30. We made it there with plenty of time, and made it back to the boat with enough time to change for dinner. Dinner was again excellent. We skipped the show tonight as none of us like comedians. Instead we attended Karaoke up in the Crow’s nest. My family, and my cousins all sang. We sang Sugar, Sugar, and Sweet Home Alabama. Afterward we returned to our cabins for another good nights sleep, finding another animal waiting for us.

Day 4- June 30, 2010- Hamilton.

Relaxation. That is what we spent the morning enjoying onboard the ship. I attended the 1:00 Cake decorating class and then lazed about some more before heading to dinner. Excellent as usual, with the entire family present this time. Afterward we attended Harbor nights, which was fun, but very crowded. We did some shopping and got some of our gifts taken care of. Afterward I believe this was the night the Filipino waiters put on their show. It was so cute and interesting. Their culture is so different and unique it was a pleasure to watch. Afterward it was bed time.

Day 5- July 1, 2010 –Hamilton

My father woke up early and left to attended the golf tournament. He and my grandfather were gone all day. My mother and I took our time getting ready and then the two of us, plus my grandmother went ashore to do some more shopping. We returned to the ship around 11 am and had an early lunch. After lunch my brother and I prepared to go on our Snorkel Expedition. We went with our cousins and enjoyed the experience. My only complaint here is the length of the boat ride compared to the length on actual snorkel time. However it was enjoyable and with some power walking I even made it back to the ship in time for my dinner seating. After dinner I attended the Duwop show. It featured the four male stars. Again I highly recommend the show. They made it entertaining and made it into more than just group of songs. It was a really entertaining experience.

Day 6- July 2- Hamilton and at Sea

We had to be back on the ship by 1:00 pm at the latest and show we got up fairly early and went into town to do a little shopping. It wasn’t raining when we left, and then it started to pour. We finished shopping quite early and headed back to the boat to hang out by the pool. We grabbed loungers and just relaxed for several hours. We caught a little of the World cup match, which the Netherlands won so it was good for us. At 1:00 the horn blew to round up any late passengers, and then at about 1:15 we headed back out to sea. At 2:00 my mother and I attended the $10 sale in the shops. I picked up a nice evening bag, and a shawl, we got some ties for my brother and father and a belt for my dad. This all came with a free winter item. My mother got a watch and bag. We then headed over to the cupcake tea. It was good, although tea is not my favorite beverage. This was the second formal night and so it was another night of early showers for everyone. We met up for 5:45 dinner and then took some family photos. At dinner they sang to me for my birthday and then we all had birthday cake. Then 5 of us headed to the showroom to see the classical music show. I must say when they tell you this is the best show, they are not exaggerating. It is absolutely breathtaking. The best part is the end when both singers sing Ode to Joy. It was simply beautiful. So people might complain that it is geared towards the elderly, but it was truly geared towards the more cultured on board. Afterward we attended the country line dancing which was another fun filled activity. Embarrassing, but fun. Then we went to Dessert Extravaganza. It was so incredible to see all of the cake, and chocolate, and ice sculptures. It all tasted so good, and we took home two marzipan animals, which joined the towel monkey in the room.

Day 7- At Sea

This was another late morning, although my father did get up in time to attend the 10:00 disembarkation debriefing. Afterward my mother and I attended the mini show in the Showroom. This was another incredible performance by the singers, and I am still in awe of their voices. We then ate lunch and headed up to the Lido for some final time around the pool. It was cold though so I didn’t stay too long. I went back to the room to start packing and shower for tonight. We went to one final dinner at the MDR, and thanked our stewards profusely for the wonderful meals we had had. The entire staff sang a farewell song and then we had the special dessert. Baked Alaska. There were nine of us and so we had several pieces of it on the table, and then right in front of my father an entire Baked Alaska was set down. And amazingly he ate over half. That was a Kodak moment. Afterward we attended the final show, “Live from the Stardust Lounge.” This involved all but one of the singers and again it was a wonderful show. They sang Dorothy Day, and Dean Martin, Judy Garland, and more. Then it was down to see “Extraordinary Measures.” A good movie. Not the best, but certainly worth seeing. Then I finished packing and went to bed on the ship on last time, where I found an elephant sitting next to the pink one that is my safety blanket. It was so adorable on top of the earlier animals all week.

Disembarkation-We got into port a little late, and so all the disembarkations were a little late, and a little rushed. However it was amazingly organized and well done. There was no hassle, and the worst part was finding your luggage since they didn’t put it all together.

Fashion- I had no run ins with the fashion police. Although that might be because I dress up not down. I dressed for the the formal nights, and even on “SMART casual” I dressed up in clothing such as I would wear to church or out to a fancy restaurant. Not jeans, not casual clothing. My family is not the type to dress down for anything. So for me the fashion police were not a worry. We dressed how we liked and had a great time. It worked perfectly that out way of dressing is HAL's way of dressing.

People- Almost everyone was incredibly nice, and kind, and helpful. I met only two nasty people, and they were within quick succession. One afternoon at lunch we were waiting in line at the Lido. Now the line came from both directions and there was little order. I had my brother hold my spot while I dropped our plates off at the table and then came back. A woman next to me proceeded to lecture me on the act that the line came from the left not the right. Well unfortunately for her the bread and appetizers were on the right so logically the line should go from the right. She then proceeded to tell me I was rude and needed to “know my place.” I couldn’t even think of a reply before she walked off. When I reached the front the server looked at me and asked, “Madam what would you like,” so I of course replied and gave him my order. Well this just set the gentleman(I use that term loosely) next to me off. He began to yell about my rudeness, and how I had cut the line. He yelled that he had been waiting 8 minutes and should have been next. He called me several nasty names, and insulted me multiple times. Well two times in five minutes was too much. I proceeded to give him a lecture on being rude to young women, and that it was server’s choice who to serve and when. Beyond that lunch line, everyone was incredibly pleasant.

Overall- It was a really incredible trip. The ship was gorgeous, and everyone was so nice, and kind. I enjoyed all of my activities, and had few complaints. The shows every night were incredible, and although some people claim they cater to a much older crowd I saw many people my age(college) and younger loving every show. The shows required some cultured knowledge, or at least love of music. The talent in them was amazing and worth seeing every night. There were many activities for teenagers and younger kids. There were things to do all day and all night, and so you were never bored. I found this cruise to be a quality experience and would most certainly take another cruise on a DAM ship. I would recommend HAL, and this cruise for everyone and anyone.

Suggestions- Go to all the shows, especially Day 2, 4, 5, 6, 7. Dress as the dress code states. Enjoy yourself. Relax, don't make scenes, and make some friends.

Have Fun.

I was traveling with a group of nine for my grandparents 55th wedding anniversary. We arrived and moved very quickly through customs and security. When we arrived on board the ship we were told that the staterooms weren’t ready yet and that it was recommended we go to the Lido for lunch. My only complaint about the service that afternoon is that it was a bit disorganized. However this was mostly because you could not get any of your own food yet due to health precautions. Around 1:00 an announcement came on that the rooms were ready. So we trooped down to our rooms and found small, but well appointed interior cabins. Exactly what we expected. I was in one cabin with my parents, while my aunt and cousins were in another and my grandparents had a third. Our luggage had not yet arrived so we left our carry ons and went upstairs to sit in the sun until the 4:15 briefing on emergency procedures. Immediately following this we returned to the Retreat where we sat and watched as we sailed away from New York. Around 6:30 my entire family decided to have dinner up in the Lido. The food was good and the music, while not to my taste, was well played. Afterward we hung out in the Retreat for several hours enjoying the view. While we did not attend the show, my grandparents did and they enjoyed it. We returned to the cabin and settled in for our first night at sea.

We awoke late to the knocking of room service at our door. We ordered for around 8:30-9:00 and it came somewhere in that timeframe. We all took our time getting ready and then split up for the day. My brother went upstairs to the kid’s activites and absolutely loved them. He was never not busy and found a large group of friends. My parents and I decided to wander around and acquaint ourselves with the ship. My grandmother and I went to several of the talks that took place during the morning, and then headed off to lunch up in the Lido. The service had improved slightly and the food was once again excellent. I then took several hours to lounge by the pool and enjoy the hot tub. Around 3:30 I returned to the cabin to get ready for formal night. I wore a long halter dress and felt right at home during formal night. We had 5:45 reserved Upper seating and loved our table. Our dining stewards were incredible and answered any and all requests we made quickly. The food was excellent and while yes, dinner did drag out, it was not because of the stewards, merely that fact that you are eating 5 courses. They also immediately accommodated a request we had for my grandparents wedding anniversary. Afterward the entire family, minus my brother, attended the Broadway show. It was excellent. The quality of the singers was incredible and the music they choose to sing was perfect. The show centered around the costumes, which were all designed by Bob Mackey. The costumes were incredible. Just gorgeous. For anyone going on this cruise I would highly recommend the shows. Afterward we returned to our rooms for an early night. Especially since my mother and I had to catch the 8:30 tender to St. Georges. In the room we found a octopus waiting for us.

My mother and I woke up at 6:30 to our room service. We quickly ate in our room and prepared for our long day on land. We took the 5 hour Tour of Bermuda. Neither of us had ever been to Bermuda so this was a great way to get to know the island. The tenders were very crowded and only ran every other hour. Odd from the ship, even to the ship. Our tours was wonderful. We had an excellent tour guide, who had been born and raised on the island. She knew every nook and cranny, and every story and rumor. She gave us bathroom breaks, and even got us to Dockyard with enough time for us to take over an hour for lunch. When we returned to St. George, my mother and I visited the unfinished Church, and St. Peter’s Church. We then slowly made our way to the tender for the 4:30. We made it there with plenty of time, and made it back to the boat with enough time to change for dinner. Dinner was again excellent. We skipped the show tonight as none of us like comedians. Instead we attended Karaoke up in the Crow’s nest. My family, and my cousins all sang. We sang Sugar, Sugar, and Sweet Home Alabama. Afterward we returned to our cabins for another good nights sleep, finding another animal waiting for us.

Relaxation. That is what we spent the morning enjoying onboard the ship. I attended the 1:00 Cake decorating class and then lazed about some more before heading to dinner. Excellent as usual, with the entire family present this time. Afterward we attended Harbor nights, which was fun, but very crowded. We did some shopping and got some of our gifts taken care of. Afterward I believe this was the night the Filipino waiters put on their show. It was so cute and interesting. Their culture is so different and unique it was a pleasure to watch. Afterward it was bed time.

My father woke up early and left to attended the golf tournament. He and my grandfather were gone all day. My mother and I took our time getting ready and then the two of us, plus my grandmother went ashore to do some more shopping. We returned to the ship around 11 am and had an early lunch. After lunch my brother and I prepared to go on our Snorkel Expedition. We went with our cousins and enjoyed the experience. My only complaint here is the length of the boat ride compared to the length on actual snorkel time. However it was enjoyable and with some power walking I even made it back to the ship in time for my dinner seating. After dinner I attended the Duwop show. It featured the four male stars. Again I highly recommend the show. They made it entertaining and made it into more than just group of songs. It was a really entertaining experience.

We had to be back on the ship by 1:00 pm at the latest and show we got up fairly early and went into town to do a little shopping. It wasn’t raining when we left, and then it started to pour. We finished shopping quite early and headed back to the boat to hang out by the pool. We grabbed loungers and just relaxed for several hours. We caught a little of the World cup match, which the Netherlands won so it was good for us. At 1:00 the horn blew to round up any late passengers, and then at about 1:15 we headed back out to sea. At 2:00 my mother and I attended the $10 sale in the shops. I picked up a nice evening bag, and a shawl, we got some ties for my brother and father and a belt for my dad. This all came with a free winter item. My mother got a watch and bag. We then headed over to the cupcake tea. It was good, although tea is not my favorite beverage. This was the second formal night and so it was another night of early showers for everyone. We met up for 5:45 dinner and then took some family photos. At dinner they sang to me for my birthday and then we all had birthday cake. Then 5 of us headed to the showroom to see the classical music show. I must say when they tell you this is the best show, they are not exaggerating. It is absolutely breathtaking. The best part is the end when both singers sing Ode to Joy. It was simply beautiful. So people might complain that it is geared towards the elderly, but it was truly geared towards the more cultured on board. Afterward we attended the country line dancing which was another fun filled activity. Embarrassing, but fun. Then we went to Dessert Extravaganza. It was so incredible to see all of the cake, and chocolate, and ice sculptures. It all tasted so good, and we took home two marzipan animals, which joined the towel monkey in the room.

Day 7- At Sea

This was another late morning, although my father did get up in time to attend the 10:00 disembarkation debriefing. Afterward my mother and I attended the mini show in the Showroom. This was another incredible performance by the singers, and I am still in awe of their voices. We then ate lunch and headed up to the Lido for some final time around the pool. It was cold though so I didn’t stay too long. I went back to the room to start packing and shower for tonight. We went to one final dinner at the MDR, and thanked our stewards profusely for the wonderful meals we had had. The entire staff sang a farewell song and then we had the special dessert. Baked Alaska. There were nine of us and so we had several pieces of it on the table, and then right in front of my father an entire Baked Alaska was set down. And amazingly he ate over half. That was a Kodak moment. Afterward we attended the final show, “Live from the Stardust Lounge.” This involved all but one of the singers and again it was a wonderful show. They sang Dorothy Day, and Dean Martin, Judy Garland, and more. Then it was down to see “Extraordinary Measures.” A good movie. Not the best, but certainly worth seeing. Then I finished packing and went to bed on the ship on last time, where I found an elephant sitting next to the pink one that is my safety blanket. It was so adorable on top of the earlier animals all week.

Disembarkation-We got into port a little late, and so all the disembarkations were a little late, and a little rushed. However it was amazingly organized and well done. There was no hassle, and the worst part was finding your luggage since they didn’t put it all together.

Fashion- I had no run ins with the fashion police. Although that might be because I dress up not down. I dressed for the the formal nights, and even on “SMART casual” I dressed up in clothing such as I would wear to church or out to a fancy restaurant. Not jeans, not casual clothing. My family is not the type to dress down for anything. So for me the fashion police were not a worry. We dressed how we liked and had a great time. It worked perfectly that out way of dressing is HAL's way of dressing.

People- Almost everyone was incredibly nice, and kind, and helpful. I met only two nasty people, and they were within quick succession. One afternoon at lunch we were waiting in line at the Lido. Now the line came from both directions and there was little order. I had my brother hold my spot while I dropped our plates off at the table and then came back. A woman next to me proceeded to lecture me on the act that the line came from the left not the right. Well unfortunately for her the bread and appetizers were on the right so logically the line should go from the right. She then proceeded to tell me I was rude and needed to “know my place.” I couldn’t even think of a reply before she walked off. When I reached the front the server looked at me and asked, “Madam what would you like,” so I of course replied and gave him my order. Well this just set the gentleman(I use that term loosely) next to me off. He began to yell about my rudeness, and how I had cut the line. He yelled that he had been waiting 8 minutes and should have been next. He called me several nasty names, and insulted me multiple times. Well two times in five minutes was too much. I proceeded to give him a lecture on being rude to young women, and that it was server’s choice who to serve and when. Beyond that lunch line, everyone was incredibly pleasant.

Overall- It was a really incredible trip. The ship was gorgeous, and everyone was so nice, and kind. I enjoyed all of my activities, and had few complaints. The shows every night were incredible, and although some people claim they cater to a much older crowd I saw many people my age(college) and younger loving every show. The shows required some cultured knowledge, or at least love of music. The talent in them was amazing and worth seeing every night. There were many activities for teenagers and younger kids. There were things to do all day and all night, and so you were never bored. I found this cruise to be a quality experience and would most certainly take another cruise on a DAM ship. I would recommend HAL, and this cruise for everyone and anyone.

Suggestions- Go to all the shows, especially Day 2, 4, 5, 6, 7. Dress as the dress code states. Enjoy yourself. Relax, don't make scenes, and make some friends.

Have Fun.

I appreciate all the information that you took the time out to write about. It's going to make my trip on the Veendam to Bermuda this August that much better. This will be my first time on HAL but I do have 35 + cruises under my belt. However, I'd like to tell you that the next cruise you go on, think about going on Royal Caribbean cruisline. They are also a wonderful cruiseline that I'm sure you and your family will enjoy.

P.S. You're a wonderful writer. I hope you're taking journalism up as one of your subjects in college. Good luck and thanks again for this great report!

Janet;)

<snip>

Have Fun.

Excellent advice! Thanks for taking the time to write the review.

I'm glad your family enjoyed the cruise. Sorry about the two nasty people. The Lido doesn't always bring out the best in people.

I appreciate all the information that you took the time out to write about. It's going to make my trip on the Veendam to Bermuda this August that much better. This will be my first time on HAL but I do have 35 + cruises under my belt. However, I'd like to tell you that the next cruise you go on, think about going on Royal Caribbean cruisline. They are also a wonderful cruiseline that I'm sure you and your family will enjoy.

Janet;)

Hi Janet.

DW and are also Royal Caribbean veterans but they only offer a 5 night trip to Bermuda which docks at the Dockyards and actually costs more

than the 7 night cruise on the Veendam in a similar category which we just returned from.

If we were to compare the lines going to Bermuda in just 4 areas:

1. The RCI Explorer of the Seas at 138,000 tons is bigger and offers more stuff like an ice skating ring and a Promenade down the middle of the ship. It also holds 3000+ people which to me is a disadvantage. The Veendam has a wrap around walking promenade, is a mid-size ship and has a more classic feel to it. There is plenty of room for the 1300 guests on board.

2. The singing shows on the Veendam were much better than any we had seen on RCI. The production numbers on RCI were better because they

had more stage to work with.

3. The MDR food on the Veendam is much better than RCI. The RCI Windjammer food beats the Veendam Lido for quality and service; they just have more space for more offerings and larger presentation areas.

4. The Explorer due to its size must dock at the Dockyards which is a ride to everything. The Veendam due to its midsize is able to anchor off of St.George and at Front Street in Hamilton - a big transportation saver.

Which is why we were very happy with our trip on the Veendam to Bermuda. Its the right ship for Bermuda.

IMHO.

Enjoy all your future cruises.

Day 7- At Sea

Have Fun.

Absolutely great to read that you all had such a great time!!

Any photos that I can use for the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Pages??

Joanie

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. It's refreshing to hear positive comments for a change instead of hearing grumpy people moaning and criticising everything. I'm on the Veendam August 29th and I'm so excited.

Elavie, I needed to add a couple of comments to my last reply to your awesome review.

1. It is so refreshing to read a review from a 'young-in' with such a great sense of decorum, pride in herself and her family and just an over all sense of what is good in their life.

2. I think you handled the 2 rude people in the Lido quite nicely! Sorry that yiu had to deal with them at all, but you handled it better than many adults would have.

3. I am going to add a couple of your statements in your review to a reply I post when someone asks about the average of people on HAL cruises. The statement will now read as follows (IF you agree, If not I will not!!):

POST TITLE: What is the average age of passengers by cruise line?

This is one of those questions that come up at the beginning of each new season.

Answers from another web site that cannot be mentioned here is:

Passenger ages vary somewhat by sailing, but usually they are as follows:

Carnival Cruise Line: 0 - 45 years of age

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line: 25 - 55 years of age

Crystal Cruise Line: 55+ years of age

Celebrity Cruise Line: 35 - 64 years of age

Norwegian Cruise Line: 27 - 56 years of age

Holland America Cruises: 30 - 60 years of age

Princess Cruise Line: 35 to 65 years of age

As one younger passenger recently posted after a Bermuda cruise in Jukly 2010 stated in a Cruise Critic Review, "So people might complain that it is geared towards the elderly, but it was truly geared towards the more cultured on board." She further stated, "Overall- It was a really incredible trip. The ship was gorgeous, and everyone was so nice, and kind. I enjoyed all of my activities, and had few complaints. The shows every night were incredible, and although some people claim they cater to a much older crowd I saw many people my age(college) and younger loving every show. The shows required some cultured knowledge, or at least love of music. The talent in them was amazing and worth seeing every night. There were many activities for teenagers and younger kids. There were things to do all day and all night, and so you were never bored. I found this cruise to be a quality experience and would most certainly take another cruise on a DAM ship. I would recommend HAL, and this cruise for everyone and anyone."

Thank you for such an in depth and awesome review!!

Joanie

Wow, I let it slide before but since we are now quoting it like it is the wisdom of solomon, i just have to say that the OP's comment that people who didn't appreciate the Veendam's shows lack cultural knowledge is really uncalled for. Particularly since the OP makes two gaffes when referring to two cultural icons featured in the shows. I knew all of the songs featured and could tell you the name of the artists and probably a little tidbit about the artists background. I still didn't like the shows, although the singers were by far the most talented I have ever seen on a cruise ship. To each his own, I think.

So what is it: are things subjective? or is is that, if you don't like something that HAL offers, there must be something wrong with you, like you lack the basic human ability to appreciate music or lack cultural knowledge (mind you, let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard - where talking pop culture here, even the operatic selections were opera-lite.)

Overall, the OPs review was interesting to read (very detailed and overall positive) but I thought this statement was a heck of a lot more negative and mean spirited than even some of the statements you'd read on a review of someone bashing HAL.

Hi Janet.

DW and are also Royal Caribbean veterans but they only offer a 5 night trip to Bermuda which docks at the Dockyards and actually costs more

than the 7 night cruise on the Veendam in a similar category which we just returned from.

If we were to compare the lines going to Bermuda in just 4 areas:

1. The RCI Explorer of the Seas at 138,000 tons is bigger and offers more stuff like an ice skating ring and a Promenade down the middle of the ship. It also holds 3000+ people which to me is a disadvantage. The Veendam has a wrap around walking promenade, is a mid-size ship and has a more classic feel to it. There is plenty of room for the 1300 guests on board.

2. The singing shows on the Veendam were much better than any we had seen on RCI. The production numbers on RCI were better because they

had more stage to work with.

3. The MDR food on the Veendam is much better than RCI. The RCI Windjammer food beats the Veendam Lido for quality and service; they just have more space for more offerings and larger presentation areas.

4. The Explorer due to its size must dock at the Dockyards which is a ride to everything. The Veendam due to its midsize is able to anchor off of St.George and at Front Street in Hamilton - a big transportation saver.

Which is why we were very happy with our trip on the Veendam to Bermuda. Its the right ship for Bermuda.

IMHO.

Enjoy all your future cruises.

Thanks so much IMHO for your great comparrisons on HAL and RCCL. My family and I are Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus members but we have not been to Bermuda for awhile. When we did cruise there we always docked in St. George and never were tendered in with either Celebrity or RCCL Horizon and Zenith ships and also the Song of America. I'm just trying to figure out why they have tenders now for these mid size ships. Did something happen to their docks at St. George? Looking forward to a different cruiseline and Bermuda as we've been cruising to the Eastern and Western Caribbeans for too many years. ;)

sculptress wondered and asked: .....I'm just trying to figure out why they have tenders now for these mid size ships. Did something happen to their docks at St. George?.....

Nothing happened to the docks at SG. If you read this entire thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1206235 , you'll understand why the Veendam tenders at SG.

SBtS

Wow, I let it slide before but since we are now quoting it like it is the wisdom of solomon, i just have to say that the OP's comment that people who didn't appreciate the Veendam's shows lack cultural knowledge is really uncalled for. Particularly since the OP makes two gaffes when referring to two cultural icons featured in the shows. I knew all of the songs featured and could tell you the name of the artists and probably a little tidbit about the artists background. I still didn't like the shows, although the singers were by far the most talented I have ever seen on a cruise ship. To each his own, I think.

So what is it: are things subjective? or is is that, if you don't like something that HAL offers, there must be something wrong with you, like you lack the basic human ability to appreciate music or lack cultural knowledge (mind you, let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard - where talking pop culture here, even the operatic selections were opera-lite.)

Overall, the OPs review was interesting to read (very detailed and overall positive) but I thought this statement was a heck of a lot more negative and mean spirited than even some of the statements you'd read on a review of someone bashing HAL.

I did not like the shows either. I was on the Veendam a few weeks ago and the were geared toward an older generation. And they did not reflect the demographic of the passengers on the sailing. Not caring much for them has nothing to do with cultural knowledge or musical appreciation.

Thanks so much IMHO for your great comparrisons on HAL and RCCL. My family and I are Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus members but we have not been to Bermuda for awhile. When we did cruise there we always docked in St. George and never were tendered in with either Celebrity or RCCL Horizon and Zenith ships and also the Song of America. I'm just trying to figure out why they have tenders now for these mid size ships. Did something happen to their docks at St. George? Looking forward to a different cruiseline and Bermuda as we've been cruising to the Eastern and Western Caribbeans for too many years. ;)

The ships have gotten larger but the Town Cut that the ships have to go through to get to the docks remains the same size in width and depth. It has not been widened or dredged since it was enlarged years ago for the Zenith to pass through. Because of the current weight of the Veendam after the last retrofit it was deemed from simulations that there would be a risk of the ship hitting bottom going through the Town Cut so the decision was made that the Veendam would have to tender.

The ships have gotten larger but the Town Cut that the ships have to go through to get to the docks remains the same size in width and depth. It has not been widened or dredged since it was enlarged years ago for the Zenith to pass through. Because of the current weight of the Veendam after the last retrofit it was deemed from simulations that there would be a risk of the ship hitting bottom going through the Town Cut so the decision was made that the Veendam would have to tender.

Thanks for the info. After reading lots of the posts on the Veendam with the delays and long waits tendering in maybe it's best to be lucky enough to have them cancel St. George because of inclimant weather and dock the 4 days in just Hamilton and use the free ferry/bus voucher on your own to St. George.

Thanks for the info. After reading lots of the posts on the Veendam with the delays and long waits tendering in maybe it's best to be lucky enough to have them cancel St. George because of inclimant weather and dock the 4 days in just Hamilton and use the free ferry/bus voucher on your own to St. George.

That is what happened on the Veendam sailing that I was on. Being docked in Hamilton the whole time was the best Bermuda cruise itinerary I have been on and this was my ninth to Bermuda. What they gave us for the voucher was a one day transportation pass which I did use to go to St. George the first day..... but which you could choose to use any day and to go anywhere.

Thank you for all of the comments of the review. For the person who mistook my statement about enjoying the shows. In no way did I mean that anyone who disliked the shows was uncultured, but to truly get the shows some knowledge of some of the music was required, and a enjoyment of many types of music was required. Are you uncultured if you hated the shows? No. But to say they were aimed at older people is wrong as well. There were many teenagers and twenty year olds who enjoyed the shows every night. so no I do not agree the shows were aimed at an older demographic. And if I made a mistake on one of the names of the singers, forgive me I was typing this at 11:30 at night.

Again thank you for the comments, especially the positive, and yes it maybe be quoted from if any one so chooses.

One person wrote how one woman made one remark about their attire, and the remark may have been just a little joke, so please lighten up about the whole "fashion police" thing, please. There are no fashion police roaming about the HAL ships.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to report if there any T-shirts and baseball caps on backwards at formal night!

Regards,

igraf

...Fashion- I had no run ins with the fashion police. Although that might be because I dress up not down. I dressed for the the formal nights, and even on “SMART casual” I dressed up in clothing such as I would wear to church or out to a fancy restaurant. Not jeans, not casual clothing. My family is not the type to dress down for anything. So for me the fashion police were not a worry. We dressed how we liked and had a great time. It worked perfectly that out way of dressing is HAL's way of dressing. ...

Elavie,

I never used the word "uncultured". I used the words you used in your post. You said that the shows were geared towards the more cultured (see you paragraph on Day 6) and that the shows required some cultural knowledge or a love of music (see your second to last paragraph). I don't think I mistook what you wrote. I just happen to disagree with it for the reasons noted in my post.

I usually don't point out the errors of others, because one, it's obnoxious to do so, and two, I make many mistakes in my posts. I just couldn't help pointing out that you referred to Doris Day as Dorothy Day in the same post in which you talk about requisite cultural knowledge. I thought it helped to make my point.

Also, just because people outside of a targeted demographic enjoy a show does not mean that a show was not designed with a targeted demographic in mind. The fact the the shows draw heavily from music from the fifties and sixties speaks volumes. Have you cruised on other lines? You'll see a wider variety of shows, and more contemporary songs.

As I said in my post, I though your review was overall positive and detailed. I just disagree with one point you made twice in your post.

And I never said you had to know every song that had ever existed to like the shows. However I wanted to clarify my position because it is obvious you did misunderstand what I meant. And as I said before I was typing that paragraph at 11:30 at night so forgive me if I write the wrong first name down.

As for cruising other lines, no I have not. However I(being college age) would rather not hear more contemporary stuff. I can hear that on my radio at home, and to be honest much of it isn't worth listening to. So I disagree with you saying that the shows are geared towards an older crowd since at least on my cruise, plenty of younger people(teens and twenties) were enjoying the shows each night.

As for day 6, yes the show was geared to the more cultured considering few people I know who are not cultured listen to classical music. Merely listening to it increases you knowledge of the world. That is something that has come from observing people. The crowd at the show was for the most part a well behaved, cultured crowd. It was obvious from observing them. And yes I do believe that the shows required either A. culture, or B. a love of music, I never said knowledge. Please reread the post.

As for my fashion police comment, it was in part meant to be a joke. So many people worry over their clothing, and over what other will think obsessively that using the term seemed to make perfect sense.

I am sorry if y'all have been offended by my opinions, but that is what a review is, an opinion. It can be snarky, mean, funny, or just point blank. But I don't have to agree with any of y'all and so there are my two cents.

You indeed said knowledge. I quote "The shows required some cultured knowledge, or at least love of music", which is excerpted from your second-to-last paragraph of your original post. And I never said that you said that you had to know every song that ever existed to like the shows. Again, I did not mischaracterize what you wrote so please stop mischaracterizing what I wrote. I disagreed with a specific statement you made in your original posts. In both of your replies, you are responding to arguments I did not make.

I think we have both articulated our view points and aren't going to change each others minds. So I'll stop now.

Also, I wasn't offended by what you wrote (I think it is not true so why would i be offended) and wasn't going to comment on it when I first read it, but wanted to say something before it got reposted and reposted by someone else.

Archived