Maui snorkel excursion Golden Princess

Monty'sMomandDad

I would be interested in hearing about the Maui snorkel excursion on Golden Princess too. We will be cruising here in Dec. If anyone has taken this excustion I would like to know what you thought.

I would be interested in hearing about the Maui snorkel excursion on Golden Princess too. We will be cruising here in Dec. If anyone has taken this excustion I would like to know what you thought.

You indicated you are traveling on the Dec 8 cruise to Hawaii. Please contact me so I can update the member list.

I took this excursion in April. Was my first snorkelling experience and I really enjoyed it. They provided prescription goggles if you need them. The weather was very windy and the seas rough for the first stop off. Even the experienced were having a tough time. The next stop was much smoother. Saw plenty of fish, green sea turtles and dolphins. Food was so-so, but due to the winds they were having a hard time keeping the grill lit. Only suggestion I would have is that they only give you a brief lesson for the first timers and I could have used some extra help. In fact some of us didn't hear the announcement about the lesson and they had to repeat it again. Instructor was a little upset and maybe she gave more info the first time. . Also it is quite a ride out to the first site, so you do spend quite a bit of time on the boat. Would I do it again - yes.

I took this excursion in April. Was my first snorkelling experience and I really enjoyed it. They provided prescription goggles if you need them. The weather was very windy and the seas rough for the first stop off. Even the experienced were having a tough time. The next stop was much smoother. Saw plenty of fish, green sea turtles and dolphins. Food was so-so, but due to the winds they were having a hard time keeping the grill lit. Only suggestion I would have is that they only give you a brief lesson for the first timers and I could have used some extra help. In fact some of us didn't hear the announcement about the lesson and they had to repeat it again. Instructor was a little upset and maybe she gave more info the first time. . Also it is quite a ride out to the first site, so you do spend quite a bit of time on the boat. Would I do it again - yes.

Wonder why the OP give this a thumbs down, when the OP was asking for an opinion?

Have snorkeled dozens of times on Maui, some with Pacific Whale. They are great. The snorkeling varies by location, but is generally pretty good. Yes, weather and some rough seas can hinder things.

The biggest problem will be if Maui is having a wet spell, with lots of runoff. Then some areas will be totally unusable due to the very noticable red soil run off turning the water very cloudy red at the coastal areas.

For the poster going Dec 8, I would also consider the Pacific Whale whale watch trip. You might be able to do both snorkel and whale watch, possibly on the same trip.

Thanks Diane and Bruce for you review. We have snorkeled in Bonaire and St. Thomas and loved it. We will be in Maui in Dec. so I'm hoping the weather is good and clear. Thanks again I'm really hoping that we see dolphins while there too.

Does anyone know if the Maui snorkel excursion on Golden Princess in October is run by the Pacific Whale Foundation? :confused: We were on one a couple of years ago with RCCL and the PWF was the provider. Thanks:)

I did this excursion last year in early October and enjoyed it so much that I have booked it again this year. I saw alot of fish and some turtles, but no dolphins. You still have time to go to the ship, change clothes, and do some shopping in Lahaina after the excursion if you want.:p

2 years ago we took this excursion off the Golden Princess... it was windy, and we lost a lot of time trying to get to Molokini and then giving up and going to the other location (sea turtles) where it was delightful. I think if you want any chance of getting to Molokini, take the early morning tour... definately too windy (most days) in the afternoon. This time (October) we will book the afternoon excursion and hopefully waste less time......

Archived