Cruise Cost

Woobstr112G

I was toying with the idea of suprising my DW with a cruise for a Christmas present this year. I am looking at a Mexican Rivera cruise r/t from LA so I can save on airfare. There is a Dec 4th sailing on the Sapphire (7days). I see a 10 day r/t in Jan 2011 that is twice as much for a mini suite. Twice as much for only three more days:confused: Any experienced cruiser out there that could shed some light on this.....

Thanks

Bob

Is the Jan 2011 Cruise during Christmas vacation? You will find any of the cruises during Spring and Christmas/Winter vacation breaks will be always be higher. I would suggest avoiding cruising during these periods if possible unless you don't mind having a large population of kids on board.

I was toying with the idea of suprising my DW with a cruise for a Christmas present this year. I am looking at a Mexican Rivera cruise r/t from LA so I can save on airfare. There is a Dec 4th sailing on the Sapphire (7days). I see a 10 day r/t in Jan 2011 that is twice as much for a mini suite. Twice as much for only three more days:confused: Any experienced cruiser out there that could shed some light on this.....

Early December is considered one of the cheapest times of the year to cruise as it's after Thanksgiving and not into the holiday time period. Early January is still sort of holiday. Find a good TA who will give you better pricing. We're on the January 5th 10-day cruise and I have an "AD" mini-suite for somewhat less than what's posted on the Princess website.

Is the Jan 2011 Cruise during Christmas vacation? You will find any of the cruises during Spring and Christmas/Winter vacation breaks will be always be higher. I would suggest avoiding cruising during these periods if possible unless you don't mind having a large population of kids on board.

The January cruise departs on the 5th.....

Bob

Generally, the cruises just before the holiday's (when kids are out of school) are cheaper since the demand is lower. Supposedly the early December cruises are cheapest.

At least that is what a lot of threads determined last year around the holidays.

Early December is considered one of the cheapest times of the year to cruise as it's after Thanksgiving and not into the holiday time period. Early January is still sort of holiday. Find a good TA who will give you better pricing. We're on the January 5th 10-day cruise and I have an "AD" mini-suite for somewhat less than what's posted on the Princess website.

Thanks Pam. I'm waiting to hear back from my T/A I was just curious about tje differences on the Princess site. Your insight clears it up.....:):):)

Bob

Since the January 5th cruise is 10 days, it's not within most vacation breaks unless people take their kids out of school or the school is on a trimester. There will be few kids onboard as we get back the 15th. Also, something to consider is supply and demand. This itinerary is not your normal Mexican Riviera which makes it very popular; many of the cabin categories are already sold out and waitlisted. When that happens, pricing goes UP, not down.

It may not be relevant to this specific cruise, but I also noticed the port selection can have an effect on pricing. Obviously some ports charge more than others, and this can probably add a few hundred dollars to the cost of a cruise over another.

Thanks

Bob

I have nothing of substance to add, as Pam and others have covered it. I just want to say that you're a wonderful husband, and do you have a younger, single brother??

It may not be relevant to this specific cruise, but I also noticed the port selection can have an effect on pricing. Obviously some ports charge more than others, and this can probably add a few hundred dollars to the cost of a cruise over another.
For the 10-day 1/5/10 cruise, the total amount of port fees is less than $75. You are right in that port and government fees can affect the price but I don't think that's the case with this cruise. :)

The January cruise departs on the 5th.....

Bob

That would still be Winter/Christmas vacation and the fares are higher. I would look into the end of Jan or Feb for a better fare. What a beautiful gift.

Archived