4 year old twins, 2.5 year old..would you cruise?

ginger123snaps

For those of you that have travelled with young kids..is it an enjoyable experience? Would you do it again or recommend it. We are thinking about doing the Carnival Magic in Feb 2012...our twins will be 4 and our youngest will be 2.5? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you think we are crazy to cruise..please share your thoughts. Thanks

As a fellow twin mom, personally I think it's crazy to vacation any other way. My twins have been cruising since 13 months because it's the only vacation I can take where all I have to do is pretty much bathe and dress the kids - it's so nice to have all meals and the cleaning taken care of - and we get a break from each other here and there by using the kids club. I would just absolutely choose a line that accepts two year olds in the kids club - I think Carnival and NCL are the choices.

Best,

Mia

I agree - cruising is great with kids! We just took our first cruise this February with my 2 kids (then 5 yo and 2yo) - we had not done a cruise since pre-children days. It was planned by my in-laws for their 50th wedding anniversary, and let me tell you, I complained for weeks beforehand about how much work it was going to be, what would I do with the kids all day, etc. But I ate my words! It was fantastic! The kids had a wonderful time as did we. And we have planned another, longer cruise coming up. I think the key for us is going on a cruise line that has a kid's club (and you want one that takes the 2 yo - the only ones are Carnival and NCL). My kids loved the club and wanted to spend a lot of time there. So we had a great mix of time all together doing family stuff and then time apart where the kids were busy and entertained and my husband and I could enjoy some adult/alone time (spa, reading a novel on deck, checking out the disco, etc). It was truly wonderful. We were on Carnival and the best thing was that my kids were together in the same group which made it that much easier for them to transition and that much more fun. Cruising was really one of the best and most relaxing trips I have had with my kids - I say go for it!!

Heck ya! :D:D:D

You have come to the right place my friend. ;) We have all cruised with kids and lived to talk about it....lol.

And Mia is exactly right. If you are going to vacation with kids, then cruising is the way to go! Everything is right there for ya! You have the kids clubs. You have the pools. The food. And you have an entire staff ready and willing to wait on YOU hand and foot. It's the best way to travel.

You can see as much or as little as you like. And when the kids get tired, then you simply get back on the ship.

Stick around and look at the threads. Carnival and NCL take kids as young as 2 into their kids clubs -- but don't have pools for unpotty trained kids.

Royal Caribbean and Disney have nurseries for kids that young AND have ships with pools that allow kids in diapers. You just have to know which ones. It just depends on the stage that your kids are in.

Just ask away. We'll help you.

I too agree with Mia and Michelle. Cruising is the easiest of all family vacations as you can spend as much or as little time together as you want. Also, they are the perfect age right now to start. My youngest started @ 2.5 and just finished his 5th cruise in June.

I am a Carnival girl, so if you went with them, I can tell you that they would all be in Camp together as they fall into the 2-5 age group. On sea days, camp is 9-12, 2-5 and 6 (dinner on the Lido) or 7 (starting in the room ) to 10. Babysitting after 10 - usually until 3 am (like I could hang that long!:eek:)

If you can swing it, have two rooms. I would not hesitate to do connecting balconies. Most ships you can open the partition and have a nice big balcony. You don't have to worry about the kids escaping their room as the lock is 5' off the ground and has a fair amount of tension to it. And on the balcony itself, it is clear plexiglass - solid up to my chest. Also, with 2 rooms, you get the benefit of the kids having their own bath, so you dont have to worry about tripping over their mess when trying to get ready. Lastly, I really, really recommend the balcony. When the kids need a nap/down time in the afternoon, you can put them down in a nice quiet room and step outside to your private piece of heaven.

What I love most? Breakfast in the dining room. HEAVEN! Mornings seem to be so, so crazy at our house, it is so nice to get up, sit at a table and be served. No getting up for more juice, the forgotten spoon etc. No standing at the island shoving down a piece of toast while tossing dishes in the sink, and wiping counters and faces. I can actually enjoy a cup of tea, without having to wait to get to my desk! LOVE IT! The kids love it too - they can have hot chocolate and an pastry while they wait for whatever else they have ordered from cereal to pancakes to eggs. And when we are done it is off to camp - they are begging to go. And mom and dad get 3 glorious hours to spend however they wish!

We love Disney and those amusement park vacations, but try to take a cruise at least once a year because it is the most relaxing way to travel.

I agree with the above posters! Cruising w/ kids is fun!! We have 2 sets of twins, and it's the only way I want to vacation now. I definitely agree about eating breakfast (and lunch!) in the dining room; let others wait on you! We have only been on Carnival, and our kids have loved the kids club. I would definitely choose a line that takes your youngest. We did 4 to a room (my parents came w/ us), interior cabin, to save money. We had no problem fitting. Of course balcony would have been nice, but it gets pricey traveling with a large family. Have a great vacation!

Royal Caribbean and Disney have nurseries for kids that young AND have ships with pools that allow kids in diapers. You just have to know which ones.

Could you tell me which ships have this??? For RCCL is it just Oasis and Allure? How about the Disney ships? Looking for a ship with both a kids program for a 2.5 year old (even if I have to pay!) AND a pool for kids in diapers.

Thanks!

For RCCL, it is Oasis, Allure, Liberty after the drydock at the end of January, 2011, and Freedom after drydock in late March, 2011 that have the nursery. Independence also has the Baby Splash Zone, but no plans have been announced as of yet to add the nursery. RCCL has in-room sitting available, as well. As soon as you board, you can request times between 8am and 2 am, whether the ship is at sea or in port, so you're not just limited to evenings there.

Both Disney ships have nurseries and baby splash areas.

I say go for it. I don't have much more to add then the other folks have said. I too have twins and we cruised on RCCL's Voyager when they were 10 months and 20 months (twice in one year!). 10 months wasn't so bad because they were mobile. 20 months was a little rough because they had separation anxiety and wouldn't go to any of our relatives - so we had to cater to them.

Its so nice to have people making up your room, cleaning and helping with your room requests all through-out the day. We did the Windjammer for b-fast and lunch - the dining room would probably be easier. Plus, with all of your food included, if you have picky eaters, you can ditch what you were just eating and try something else. We also like the fact that its really easy just to go back to your room, or somewhere else if you (or your kids) are having a meltdown ;)

Your kids will be bigger, but our little ones slept in two pack-n-plays provided by RCCL. This December, we'll have to figure out what we are going to do for sleeping arrangements. RCCL has a separate kiddie pool for kids with diapers - but its far from the adult pool :( You also have to be 3 to do the Kids program (whatever that is called) - so we will still not be old enough for that ourselves.

You can also check on in-stateroom babysitting. RCCL was still offering it - but they were pulling back due to an issue they had - not sure if they still have it. I can't remember if other lines offer that or not.

You'll need to think about your ports too. Do you plan on just staying on the boat? Some excursions do not charge for little ones - you can ask.

Do you have other family members going to? That can help too.

But, RCCL does not have a kids program for the 2.5 year old......the age limit is 3 years old and fully potty trained and self sufficient in toileting.

RCI has the nurseries for the Under 3 crowd. :D So cbowler, yes you would have to pay for it. As jerin said, it is currently available on Oasis and will be on Allure (ship launches in Dec 2010).

Liberty of the Seas will have the nursery - late Jan 2011

Freedom of the Seas - late March 2011

Those RCI ships all have the Baby Splash Zone for unpotty trained tots.

Disney Magic and Disney Wonder have Flounders Nursery (another paid service for Under 3's and non-potty trained tots) -- and the Mickey Fantasia hat spray area for water splashing on those ships.

• 1 month later...

My husband & I cruised before we had our son & are about to go again once he turns two.

Someone else already said it, but having the cooking & cleaning covered = vacation! Also I like not having the hassle of finding a hotel, etc. as well. My only concern for you would be 5 members in your party...

At 2 my son will be able to go to Camp Carnival (He is a daycare baby so he will probably like it) if he wants - which will proved some me time or couple time for my husband & I as well.

You will not regret the decision to cruise with your kids! The great thing about it....you make your cruise exactly what you want it to be. There are so many options of things to do that you can decide what best suits your family. You set your pace!

When our youngest was younger he would get the biggest kick out of just playing in the room and watching the water go by and looking for other boats!

It will be just fine!! :) The great thing about cruising is that you always have a 'home base.' You always know where your food is coming from. There is no fight about what hotel to stay in or where to eat that night that seems to happen on road trips. (Thank goodness for the internet for finding hotels the night before!!) It's a great vacation. You hop on the boat, unpack and then party! Well as much as you can with little ones. In our household ordering room service is a big to do! :)

I would definately do early dinning with the kids. Make sure you get a cruise ship that provides child care for your children that is included in the cost. (Carnival and NCL have child care for 2 year olds) It's so wonderful to get a few minute break in the afternoon on a cruise. You drop the kids off to play and you get to sit on deck and relax!!!! It's my favorite way to travel!!

Archived