Nearest, quietest beach to pier?

Chooz2Cruz

We will be in Barbados in November for a day on a cruise. We have been there several times before, and have been to Crane Beach, done a taxi tour to the caves, turtle farm, nature center (monkeys and tortoises), and boat trip to turtles. We would like to find a beach nearby that is nice, quiet, but would have chairs, etc. Does anyone have a suggestion? Also, we once went to a hotel beach that had watersports, etc. but I don't know which beach it was................It was 20 years ago and I thought it might have been a Hilton, but not sure..................had the best Mai Tai ever! wouldn't mind going back there, but not sure how far that was. Does anyone know?

Hi Chooze2Cruz - DH and I were in Barbados in 2008. We took public transportation (Bus) to Blue Monkey Beach - I think it is also called Paynes Bay. It was really nice - it was quiet the day we were there - we were able to get a chair and umbrella - I think then it was $10 for the both of us. They have drink and food options as well and you can use the bathroom and a place to wash your feet off. Snorkeling was nice but you will have to swim out a way if you want to see the sea turtles - DH is a pretty strong swimmer. This is where most of the tour cats stop to see the turtles. Hope this helps.

Happy Sails!

Hello!

Yes you are probably correct about the Hilton. We have cruise buddies that have gone there and were very pleased. Crane Beach is our very favorite, but it is just too far to get to....so....we've been going to Accra lately.....but the best thing to do there is to have the taxi driver take you to the far end of Accra to a place called Bar Ke'nai. The taxi driver will probably know it better as Sugar Hill (or Mill) I can't remember. Aplmac will know. Anyway.....very quiet there and relaxing.....you can rent two chairs and an umbrella for $15 and if you use the bar and restaurant....the first $15 is "free". Here are some pictures. We were just there two weeks ago.

045.jpg

037.jpg

041.jpg

043.jpg

028.jpg

Love this beach!!

Max'smom, Accra is our faverite beach on Barbados. We try to get to Barbados for two weeks at least every other year. We are doing a B2B cruise on Serenade Oct 2011 for our 20th anniversity, so thank you for that wonderful review you did!!

Max'smom, Accra is our faverite beach on Barbados. We try to get to Barbados for two weeks at least every other year. We are doing a B2B cruise on Serenade Oct 2011 for our 20th anniversity, so thank you for that wonderful review you did!!

Thanks so much. You will love doing the B2B. It is so neat. Saturday night and Sunday are just the best!!!

Accra is really nice. It will probably be just a llittle more crowded in October as the high season is gearing up.

Thanks so much. That sounds very nice, and your pics look just great! We also love Crane Beach and have done that a couple of times, but I agree, it is far and expensive to get there and back. Plus, if I remember correctly, they charged like $25 just to get in with no chairs, etc.

Accra is really nice.

It will probably be just a little more crowded in October as the high season is gearing up.

Nah!

Too early for any real tourism uptick' date='just yet [i']-not in October.[/i]

Tourism numbers start to go up from around mid-November.

Hi Season starts fer real Dec. 15th. (-until April 15th.)

The clever ones get down here anytime from Nov. on

and are gone by Dec. 14th.! ;)

Tell you one thing about October though

the seas are (usually!) very calm all around the island, North South East and West

so wave action at Accra is normally reduced to the point where I can easily and safely(for my Nikon)

wade out into chest-deep water to take pics like these...

Accra-945.jpg

Accra-922.jpg

I wouldn't dare try such a stunt, under normal semi-surfy conditions!

-too much splashing!

Thanks to APLMAC we went there last week. The place is great. The great thing about it is that we didn't see any cruisers there. It was all locals and their kids and everyone was having a good time.

With I were there now with a drink in hand and a smile on my face:)

aplmac......Do you know if the Bar Ke'nai's old name was Sugar Hill or Sugar Mill. I know the cab drivers didn't know Bar Ke'nai at all, but they did know the Sugar name. I saw it on the side of the building but I can't remember if it was Hill or Mill. That might be helpful in telling the cab driver where to go next time....and they won't look at me like I am crazy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the 411, guys. Think I'll give Accra a shot next month. We had gone to Payne's last time we were there and didn't get a moments peace. Every 3-5 minutes there was another fella trying to sell us something. I don't begrudge a guy trying to make a living but this was insane. In addition Payne's was crowded and the place was crawling with catamaran's for the tours. It was kind of like being in NYC only prettier LOL.

aplmac......Do you know if the Bar Ke'nai's old name was Sugar Hill or Sugar Mill.

I know the cab drivers didn't know Bar Ke'nai at all' date=' but they did know the Sugar name.

I saw it on the side of the building but I can't remember if it was Hill or Mill.

That might be helpful in telling the cab driver where to go next time....and they won't look at me like I am crazy!![/size']

Sugar REEF..I'm pretty sure?

We had gone to Payne's last time we were there and didn't get a moments peace.

Every 3-5 minutes there was another fella trying to sell us something.

I don't begrudge a guy trying to make a living but this was insane.

In addition Payne's was crowded and the place was crawling with catamaran's for the tours.

It was kind of like being in NYC -only prettier LOL.

Hey, don't knock NYC like dat.

We had a great time in Manhattan for 5 days.

DSCN0546.jpg

Beautiful Bryant Park!

But, getting back to Paynes Bay, that's always the same story, isn't it? LOL!

And people wonder why I recommend Accra/Rockley Beach?

Only the draw of the turtles gets people over to the West Coast

but truthfully, the South Coast is lighter,breezier, waaay cooler.

BarnesNobleatMurraySt-558.jpg

Somewhere on Murray Street -with Ground Zero just one block beyond.

Don't get me started on NYC! I've lived within an hours drive of Gotham my entire life and the only reason to get anywhere near it as far as I'm concerned is to cruise from the pier or to see a Yankee game. They can keep it otherwise LOL.

I really do appreciate the local beach info. I'm usually quite good at knowing where to go once we hit an island and it usually works out but boy did I miss my mark that day with Payne's! I'm ashamned to admit that I actually had Accra on the list last time and I let the cab driver talk me out of it. See what happens when you let your cynical New Jersey guard down???

Don't get me started on NYC!

I've lived within an hours drive of Gotham my entire life

and the only reason to get anywhere near it as far as I'm concerned..

DSC_1754.jpg

..is to cruise from the pier or to see a Yankee game. They can keep it otherwise LOL.

Oh this is funny! :D ^ ^ that's Carib.Princess at Brooklyn, by the way ^ ^

You should try living trapped-almost on one of these little islands, all this ruddy sea sand sun and fun :cool:

-gets awfully boring after a lifetime --just like your NYC is, to you..

OK not quite that bad, I admit..

We spent 3.5 days in Manhattan (LOVED it), an afternoon out in Brooklyn/Queens shopping in da burbs

and an all-day-Sunday trip out to an old friend near Danbury CT!

Going back again too, for more!

Mind you..I wouldn't want to be there in July/August (hotter than Barbados,fer sure)

nor do I want to be there Jan. to April (colder than Barbados fer sure!).

DSC_1797.jpg

Our two life-experiences are madly contrasting!

Sounds like we should briefly swap houses some time. :D

Oh this is funny! :D ^ ^ that's Carib.Princess at Brooklyn, by the way ^ ^

You should try living trapped-almost on one of these little islands, all this ruddy sea sand sun and fun :cool:

-gets awfully boring after a lifetime --just like your NYC is, to you..

OK not quite that bad, I admit..

We spent 3.5 days in Manhattan (LOVED it), an afternoon out in Brooklyn/Queens shopping in da burbs

and an all-day-Sunday trip out to an old friend near Danbury CT!

Going back again too, for more!

Mind you..I wouldn't want to be there in July/August (hotter than Barbados,fer sure)

nor do I want to be there Jan. to April (colder than Barbados fer sure!).

DSC_1797.jpg

Our two life-experiences are madly contrasting!

Sounds like we should briefly swap houses some time. :D

Uh-- Bklyn & Queens--the burbs?

We are much further out than that from manhattan (but it is nice to know it is there). Next time try some time out on Long Island in wine country or at our truly beautiful beaches--you will love it! Sorry I don;t have any nice photos to share!

Uh-- Bklyn & Queens--the burbs?

We are much further out than that from Manhattan (but it is nice to know it is there).

When you live in Barbados, and you're staying in a downtown Manhattan hotel

DSC_1791.jpg

all those short bldgs outside of Manhattan (4 floors or less) count for nuthin. :D

That's the burbs,for us..if only by comparison!

Frankly we loved Manhattan -Tribeca especially -so different from all this flat-island stuff..

DoverBch-266.jpg

Dover Beach,Barbados

Hey, we even went deeeep country - Connecticut!

where we were in da jungle! :eek:

CT photos attached below, at a friend's house somewhere near Danbury?

Jill-682.jpg.4dd7bafb8f2615556b08fd0c48dc355f.jpg

Jill-683.jpg.4130b4c34d6cb6b79101c7d9e7005732.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

Yes you are probably correct about the Hilton. We have cruise buddies that have gone there and were very pleased. Crane Beach is our very favorite' date=' but it is just too far to get to....so....we've been going to Accra lately.....but the best thing to do there is to have the taxi driver take you to the far end of Accra to a place called Bar Ke'nai. The taxi driver will probably know it better as Sugar Hill (or Mill) I can't remember. Aplmac will know. Anyway.....very quiet there and relaxing.....you can rent two chairs and an umbrella for $15 and if you use the bar and restaurant....the first $15 is "free". Here are some pictures. We were just there two weeks ago.[/size']

045.jpg

Getting back on topic:

Jane,

:confused:This beach looks great. So did you say that the taxi ride was around $25...was that for two people or per person?. Also...was there any place to rent snorkel equipment at this beach? What type of food did the resturant serve?

Thanks for sharing this info and photos.

Hey Mona!

I think the cab ride was something like $30 round trip for both of us. I don't believe you can rent snorkel equipment at Bar Ke'nai, but you might be able to just down the beach a ways. The food was good....hamburgers....hot dogs....flying fish sandwiches....lots of other stuff. Good beer, too.

Hey Mona!

I think the cab ride was something like $30 round trip for both of us. I don't believe you can rent snorkel equipment at Bar Ke'nai' date=' but you might be able to just down the beach a ways. The food was good....hamburgers....hot dogs....flying fish sandwiches....lots of other stuff. Good beer, too.[/size']

Thanks Jane,

for this additional info.

Archived