Kids in the Elevator - Got Tomato Juice?

Ashpalo

This is why me and the hubby travel in September.

Last July cruise we ever took, there was ketchup sprayed all over an entire elevator, they were running back and forth on the Lido deck above us at 2 in the morning, they were turning over the do not disturb signs on door knobs and in subsequent cruises Carnival security employees have told us that security cameras and the like are damaged every summer. She told us they dread working June, July and August. The comment was "we do not act like this in my country" We told the lady neither did we in this country 30 years ago.

Ditto on that.....It is obvious that the profession they aspire to is "elevator operator".....If they keep at it, years of practice, they might just meet their goal in life.;)

Ditto on that.....It is obvious that the profession they aspire to is "elevator operator".....If they keep at it, years of practice, they might just meet their goal in life.;)

maybe they want to aspire to be this guy ---- I call customer service for our gas grill, ask for technical department to determine why my side burner now has high flames on low setting. I couldn't find an adjustment so thought there might be one I was missing. Guy says to me "we'll send you an email with instructions." I say thanks. Don't get the email. Call the next day, get same guy. I spell my email address. I have clipped and pasted what he emailed me

disconnect regulator from tank

whipe down all fittings from regulator and tank

open up all valves to release preasure from unit

hook regulator back up

turn tank on quater turn very very slowly let it sit for about 30 sec and con't to open tank rest of way very very slow and light grill

if this doesnt work you need to replace

I waited on hold for 20 minutes each time to get something that could have been explained right over the phone

GOD help us all!

maybe they want to aspire to be this guy ---- I call customer service for our gas grill, ask for technical department to determine why my side burner now has high flames on low setting. I couldn't find an adjustment so thought there might be one I was missing. Guy says to me "we'll send you an email with instructions." I say thanks. Don't get the email. Call the next day, get same guy. I spell my email address. I have clipped and pasted what he emailed me

hook regulator back up

turn tank on quater turn very very slowly let it sit for about 30 sec and con't to open tank rest of way very very slow and light grill

GOD help us all!

At least it wasn't in textspeak. ;)

hook regulator back up

I waited on hold for 20 minutes each time to get something that could have been explained right over the phone

GOD help us all!

However had he explained it over the phone and you misinterpreted something he said which in turn caused a fire or explosion how would you have handled that?

Working around something such as that it is best to have the instructions in black in white so if something does go wrong the company can not be blamed.

Although his spelling is in question...... Are we allowed to point that out since he is not really posting on the boards? hmmmmm

Wow. You can get their achievement level from watching the video? You are good. Oh by the way THIS ARE THE UNDER ACHIEVERS IN SCHOOL??

Seriously I think some people cannot enjoy themselves no matter what. They just walk around and look for things they can complain about. Heck I would have gave the kids an interview if I was on the elevator with them. They were enjoying themselves and I did not see them hurt anyone, or vandalize anything. I am sure some of you would rather see them in the teen club out of sight vegging out on video games so you don't have to see such improper children.

Yes I did notice that I used the wrong word...

I also knew some bright Chap, would notice it and point it out.

Bravo for you. Ship on a stick for the prize maybe...

You might have noticed I gave them credit for becoming film makers.

They were acting badly, and because you and others think it is alright,

is the reason we have so many of them doing such.

Yes they too are on vacation, but that does not mean leave your manners at the door.

If they were goofing off and filming without being Stupid and Obnoxious,

I too would give them an interview, such was not the case with these up and coming film artists.

Two words:

Tubal.

Ligation.

I'll offer another two words:

Parental.

Supervision.

And you know it's the parents who brag about how "mature" and "well travelled" their kids are, that let them roam the ship at will. Another two words come to mind for those parents: Reality. Check.

I also am a teacher...34 years teaching high school and now 3 years working with a special program k-12 where I frequently work with middle school kids. This is normal behavior for 13 year olds who don't have anything better to do. Those of you with "perfect" children should realize that some kids are "perfect" only when they are with you or someone who will report their behavior to you. All kids are silly at times; that's just part of being a kid. These boys weren't being rude intentionally, in my opinion. They aren't losers, and they probably are very smart kids and are good students. Did you hear one correctly use the word "montage"? Did you notice that after saying he failed kindergarten 3 times, one did the math quickly enough to say he was 16 in 8th grade? These kids were having fun and thought they were doing something creative to entertain themselves and others. The 13-year-old mind doesn't work like that of an adult. Were these kids annoying? They definitely were! Not all 13-year-old kids behave this way in public, because some have the maturity to realize this kind of behavior annoys most adults. If you go into a middle school, you will notice that kids constantly are supervised at that age. Some have learned how to behave without constant supervison, but the majority need to know someone is aware of what they are doing and will stop them if they get too silly. We are the adults, and even though we are on vacation, we usually can stop annoying behavior without spraying kids with tomato juice or calling security. If one person nicely had told the kids they were too loud, they were being rude, etc., these kids probably would have toned down their behavior. They weren't out of control kids hell bent on horrifying adults. They were bored kids who thought they were being funny. The majority of teenagers really aren't horrible people who plan ways to terrorize adults and ruin other people's vacations. Yes, there are a few kids who try to be obnoxious, and there are a few who will not respond well to a request to stop their bad behavior, but they usually are in larger groups, not 2 kids on their own. The adage, "It takes a village to raise a child" is true even on cruise ships. Children who behave nicely when they are with their parents often can't handle the freedom of being on their own. A gentle reminder from an adult can take care of the situation and let the child know that he is overstepping the boundaries of good behavior. Contrary to what many adults believe, most kids actually do want to behave and to have people like them. Their purpose in life isn't to make adults angry, but they don't yet have fully developed social skills. As I think we all can agree, some adults don't ever develop the skills to behave well in public, but we can help kids learn what is appropriate and what isn't because they expect adults to help them set guidelines.

How SAD is it that some can be so relieved that a kid isn't doing something really horrendous, dangerous or illegal so doing what these kids were doing is OK because it is 'less an evil'??

I also am a teacher...34 years teaching high school and now 3 years working with a special program k-12 where I frequently work with middle school kids. This is normal behavior for 13 year olds who don't have anything better to do. Those of you with "perfect" children should realize that some kids are "perfect" only when they are with you or someone who will report their behavior to you. All kids are silly at times; that's just part of being a kid. These boys weren't being rude intentionally, in my opinion. They aren't losers, and they probably are very smart kids and are good students. Did you hear one correctly use the word "montage"? Did you notice that after saying he failed kindergarten 3 times, one did the math quickly enough to say he was 16 in 8th grade? These kids were having fun and thought they were doing something creative to entertain themselves and others. The 13-year-old mind doesn't work like that of an adult. Were these kids annoying? They definitely were! Not all 13-year-old kids behave this way in public, because some have the maturity to realize this kind of behavior annoys most adults. If you go into a middle school, you will notice that kids constantly are supervised at that age. Some have learned how to behave without constant supervison, but the majority need to know someone is aware of what they are doing and will stop them if they get too silly. We are the adults, and even though we are on vacation, we usually can stop annoying behavior without spraying kids with tomato juice or calling security. If one person nicely had told the kids they were too loud, they were being rude, etc., these kids probably would have toned down their behavior. They weren't out of control kids hell bent on horrifying adults. They were bored kids who thought they were being funny. The majority of teenagers really aren't horrible people who plan ways to terrorize adults and ruin other people's vacations. Yes, there are a few kids who try to be obnoxious, and there are a few who will not respond well to a request to stop their bad behavior, but they usually are in larger groups, not 2 kids on their own. The adage, "It takes a village to raise a child" is true even on cruise ships. Children who behave nicely when they are with their parents often can't handle the freedom of being on their own. A gentle reminder from an adult can take care of the situation and let the child know that he is overstepping the boundaries of good behavior. Contrary to what many adults believe, most kids actually do want to behave and to have people like them. Their purpose in life isn't to make adults angry, but they don't yet have fully developed social skills. As I think we all can agree, some adults don't ever develop the skills to behave well in public, but we can help kids learn what is appropriate and what isn't because they expect adults to help them set guidelines.

Batton down the hatches! Sound the alarm! The Greatest Mom on the Board Contest is about to start on the Lido Deck.

Susan, gird your loins. You're about to get inundated with posts telling you how wrong you are and how awesome some of these folks' kids are. I hope you come out of the experience alive. If not, I shall mourn for you.

Very good post. Some people get it.

Batton down the hatches! Sound the alarm! The Greatest Mom on the Board Contest is about to start on the Lido Deck.

Susan, gird your loins. You're about to get inundated with posts telling you how wrong you are and how awesome some of these folks' kids are. I hope you come out of the experience alive. If not, I shall mourn for you.

Well - you can certainly exclude me from the winner's bracket!! I have made my fair share of mistakes. I, like my kids, am not perfect! BUT - I can tell you this.. I do not believe that my kids would act like the kids in that video!!!

Ashley :)

How SAD is it that some can be so relieved that a kid isn't doing something really horrendous, dangerous or illegal so doing what these kids were doing is OK because it is 'less an evil'??

How sad is it that a 13 year old kid with a video camera asking you if you are enjoying your cruise upsets you to the point that you need to degrade their education level their parents ability to raise them and point our how much better behaved your kids would be.

It does take a village. I agree with that 100%

I also know that for kids that age (mostly boys) what we saw is pretty normal behavior.

I can also tell you, for ME personally, normal or not...this behavior would not be accepted by me as a parent if these were my sons. A lot of what kids do is typical....it doesn't mean that I allow it to slide just because my kid is 13 and this is how 13 year-olds act.

Manners need to be taught. Somewhere along the line, that has been forgotten.

How sad is it that a 13 year old kid with a video camera asking you if you are enjoying your cruise upsets you to the point that you need to degrade their education level their parents ability to raise them and point our how much better behaved your kids would be.

HUH????????? Education level?? Degrade??? WTH are you talking about? Are you hallucinating??? Or did you quote the wrong person???

and FWIW, having a video recorder in my face and having the video plastered on You Tube would not thrill me....

Susan you are saying it is normal behavior for a 13yo yet then you say

"Some have learned how to behave without constant supervision" are they then not normal?

Im joking a little but to behave without constant supervision is the normal in my book.

To "fart" around with others of your age group and have fun is one thing. However to impose your actions around/on others is bad behavior (adult or not) and is not the norm.

I may burp at the table at home and it be perfectly acceptable however I know it is not around others. (no I dont it is just an example)

My 12yo knows there is a time and a place for everything. Goofing off in the elevator with your peers... fine.. once someone else is entered into the equation it is unacceptable.

Also just for a tip when posting you may want to use line breaks. Reading what is commonly known as a wall of text is difficult for some people.

Whether my kid is behaving well or behaving horribly in public, I shudder at the thought of her carrying around my expensive video camera without my immediate supervision!!! :eek:

Probably one of those relatively cheap Flip cameras or similar given to the kid in lieu of attention. The brats are obviously spoiled.

These kids were too young to be able to roam around the ship without their parents checking in on them. Yes, we should fault the parents. I realize that you are on vacation, but if this "normal behavior" bothers the rest of the folks on the ship, then it's your responsibility to make sure that your precious one is under supervision. Too bad that this will interrupt your fun.

I've been on 33 cruises with various lines. These kids are on every line. I'm the one who WILL say something to the obnoxious kids, and I'll also go to guest services and report them. I'm a teacher during the school year, and I'm sick to death of having to supervise other parents' children when I'm on vacation.

YOU are the parents--supervise your own kids.

Whether my kid is behaving well or behaving horribly in public, I shudder at the thought of her carrying around my expensive video camera without my immediate supervision!!! :eek:

LOL...you must be 'old' ;) :D

Kids these days have their 'own' stuff and don't need to borrow their parent's things....

:eek: wow those kids were totally obnoxious! When we were on the Freedom there were a lot of kids and we didnt encounter any unruly kids like that (thank goodness) Shame on those kids and if I were their parents I would be ashamed! No reason for them to be acting like that!

Hey, redneck kids need a vacation too! ;)

FWIW, having a video recorder in my face and having the video plastered on You Tube would not thrill me....

As an FYI, if you do find yourself with a camera in your face or do find unexpected video of yourself on YouTube, you can contact YouTube and have it removed. Just explain it was filmed and posted without your consent.

Archived