Pride 11/7 and 11/14 cruises cancelled - ship going to dry dock

nats311

so somehow I'd be better off if I had originally booked for $200 more per person than what I booked for. I guess I'm missing something in your logic.

I understand ES has restrictions that make it not appealing for some...just not sure how I'd be better off having not booked ES for this one.

No I said basically that ES is a one way street.......If you cancel and reschedule......you have to pay more........if they cancel and you reschedule you have to pay more;)

No I said basically that ES is a one way street.......If you cancel and reschedule......you have to pay more........if they cancel and you reschedule you have to pay more;)

Okay, I understand now...thanks for the clarification!

Okay, I understand now...thanks for the clarification!

You would think they would at least set you up with another comparable cruise at the same price.......or give you a refund.....

Afterall they have had some of this money over a year making investments on it and now they give you a whole $50 obc:rolleyes: That's not very good customer service.....I surely would not be happy with that.......

This is a LOT different than having your vacation altered by any of the above things that would be out of anyone's control, Carnival included.

I wouldn't expect anything from Carnival if I got sick or a hurricane blew through. But I sure would expect them to do a lot more than $50/pp if they voluntarily cancelled my trip.

So what would you expect?

So what would you expect?

I expect what I paid for, even on a different date. To get the same cruise at a different date but at a higher price even after the credit is ridiculous. Please try and argue that with me and not sound like you work for Carnival PR.

I expect what I paid for, even on a different date. To get the same cruise at a different date but at a higher price even after the credit is ridiculous. Please try and argue that with me and not sound like you work for Carnival PR.

Chill pill...I was asking what you expected. Your definition of what is ridiculous and mine are not all that far apart. I expect depending on how you ask you may just receive it.;)

So, the update is this - apparently the Pride has been having issues with the flight engine, that is why they had to move the drydock up.

My suspicion is that the sailings in July/Aug/Sept/Oct are all fairly well booked, wheareas the 11/7 and 11/14 sailings aren't as booked (which would explain the really low rates we got on those).

Carnival was not willing to offer me anything other than the currently advertised rates on any other sailings. I'm not surprised, but I don't feel any worse for asking.

Here's the kicker - my PVP told me that you have to call and reschedule within 5 days to be eligible for the $50pp OBC. After that, the initial deposit will be refunded and you won't be able to get the OBC.

So in actuality, it isn't an OBC to appease us...it is an OBC to entice us to book another sailing NOW (letting them keep the deposit money) rather than get the money back and book another one down the road.

You would be surprised.

I don't get it? You seem to be a stong supporter of Carnival and yet you are suggesting they would cancel not one but two cruises for no good reason and alienate a whole bunch of loyal customers? I don't get it

Carnival was not willing to offer me anything other than the currently advertised rates on any other sailings. I'm not surprised, but I don't feel any worse for asking.

Bummer. Guess we're gonna be out $30, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. We're pretty lucky compared to most on here.

Here's the kicker - my PVP told me that you have to call and reschedule within 5 days to be eligible for the $50pp OBC. After that, the initial deposit will be refunded and you won't be able to get the OBC.

So in actuality, it isn't an OBC to appease us...it is an OBC to entice us to book another sailing NOW (letting them keep the deposit money) rather than get the money back and book another one down the road.

Pretty bogus if correct.

So, the update is this - apparently the Pride has been having issues with the flight engine, that is why they had to move the drydock up.

My suspicion is that the sailings in July/Aug/Sept/Oct are all fairly well booked, wheareas the 11/7 and 11/14 sailings aren't as booked (which would explain the really low rates we got on those).

What is really "funny" about this is my Pride cruise for jan/11 has come down in price three times without me even asking -in total more then $300 and here they are only offering 100 per cabin but only if the customer books NOW NOW NOW!Very odd customer relations policy>

Bummer. Guess we're gonna be out $30, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. We're pretty lucky compared to most on here.

I would call and ask anyway...tell them that is the route you are thinking about going and see if they can do something to make you not have to be out of pocket an extra $30. I didn't have anything finite to offer (i.e., take $x off my price), so it's harder for them to make just a blanket offer.

I doubt they would want to risk losing you over $30. For me, they didn't know what exactly the cost of keeping me was going to be (though she did offer another sailing and explain it as being "just a little bit more.").

So that mgg42 doesn't go nuts, I should clarify that they have no requirement to do anything for you. But good business practice would suggest they would help you out on the $30. Best of luck!!!!!

Thanks. It's not a huge deal if they don't, but it would appease me and be fair if they comped the $30. I mean, I already have to cruise a different date because of Carnival. I need to pay more on top of it? Like I said before, if I get the same price for the same room on the same cruise, that's what I consider "fair".

I don't get it? You seem to be a stong supporter of Carnival and yet you are suggesting they would cancel not one but two cruises for no good reason and alienate a whole bunch of loyal customers? I don't get it

Well I am a supporter as you put it, that much is true. I am just trying give potential answers that make everyone satisfied (notice I did not say happy) and are realistic. I can totally understand being disappointed, I know I would be as well. But let's examine what the facts are:

1. There DOES appear to be a mechanical issue (while not totally immediate in terms of need, it needs to be addressed. The engines on the Spirit class are Azipods, basically a pod that sits below the ship and can spin 180 degrees in either direction. Great for manuevering but somewhat are not the most reliable. If they have to take the Pride out of service and have to plan for it (need to have the drydock available) it all takes time to schedule. Not what these people on this cruise want to hear but someone has to suffer.

2. On board credit. Again I understand the frustration. Let's look at the numbers. For math's sake let's say that the Pride holds 2,500 people and that she was totally booked (doubt it). 2500X50=125K While not as much to an individual cruiser (the $50) it all adds up.

3. My guess that they looked at everything: how soft the bookings were for a specific week(s), where the least amount of impact is and chose that path. They can't wait for ever.

If I were on one f these dates, I would call my booking party (TA, PVP, Carnival) and lobby hard for matching the original deal with the same price and the $50 OBC.

Worth a try.

Well I am a supporter as you put it, that much is true. I am just trying give potential answers that make everyone satisfied (notice I did not say happy) and are realistic. I can totally understand being disappointed, I know I would be as well. But let's examine what the facts are:

1. There DOES appear to be a mechanical issue (while not totally immediate in terms of need, it needs to be addressed. The engines on the Spirit class are Azipods, basically a pod that sits below the ship and can spin 180 degrees in either direction. Great for manuevering but somewhat are not the most reliable. If they have to take the Pride out of service and have to plan for it (need to have the drydock available) it all takes time to schedule. Not what these people on this cruise want to hear but someone has to suffer.

2. On board credit. Again I understand the frustration. Let's look at the numbers. For math's sake let's say that the Pride holds 2,500 people and that she was totally booked (doubt it). 2500X50=125K While not as much to an individual cruiser (the $50) it all adds up.

3. My guess that they looked at everything: how soft the bookings were for a specific week(s), where the least amount of impact is and chose that path. They can't wait for ever.

If I were on one f these dates, I would call my booking party (TA, PVP, Carnival) and lobby hard for matching the original deal with the same price and the $50 OBC.

Worth a try.

I tried to lobby my case to no success.

That is not nor should it be the customers problem......and on that subject......was everyone offered the same obc?

That is the price of being in business......it sucks......but the business should take the hit...not the consumer.......

I do feel bad for those that were looking forward to these cruises; we are going on our first one in mid-September (Fascination out of Jacksonville).

If the issue is based on the type of engine that the Spirit has ... which other Carnival (or any other CL) ships have the same type of engine? In other words, is this a sign of things to come for other ships?

We just rebooked our 14 Nov Pride cruise for 5 Dec with the same cabin but for over $250 less plus our obc. I guess we'll just have to figure out how to spend the difference.:D

I'm still not happy with how this all happened.

Archived