18 Day Baltic Cruise - Greenland

nybabs

Greenland ports are tender only. Towns are very small, no infrastructure for tours, no buses...You might look in the reviews section to see if you can find a review of a cruise that went to Greenland. EM

We docked in Greenland in 2004. That was at Nuuk which I haven't seen on recent itineraries. Either HAL no longer stops there or the port has a different name.

How do you think items are shipped into and out of Greenland if there are no docks? Greenland is a possession of Denmark.

There were no tours at our Greenland stop. The choice was to either walk into town which wasn't far or to take a bus shuttle to and from town.

We enjoyed our port stop.

HAL's site suggests you DYI in Nanortalik:

Greenland's southernmost town, Nanortalik is surrounded by the steep mountain peaks of Tasermiut Fjord - whose rugged landscape and lush vegetation attracts serious climbers all year long. Inside the fjord are the ruins of an Augustinian monastery and the towering trees of the Qingua Valley. In this region, the northern lights dance across the sky in the evenings and polar bears have been known to drift by on ice floes.

Visit the old town around the colonial harbor where the museum includes exhibits of rare Norse clothing. This harbor is thought to be the last point of departure of the Norse voyagers when they sailed to or from Greenland. The importance of the site is evidenced in the ruins of boathouses. Take a chilly trip to the ice cap by boat, or warm up in the natural hot springs at Uunartoq.

For Qaqortoq it says "visit town":

The name "Qaqortoq" means "the White Place," and indeed, 85% of the area is under ice. Explore the small town of 3,400 and learn how people survive on this immense, remote island administered by the Danes but desperate for individual recognition of its distinctive culture.

qaqortog is a ver nice, untouristy, stop. just want around the town. there was a singing performance. they are known for sculpting the rocks around town. my photos are here.

Enjoyed your photos. I noticed that the children and some adults were mostly wearing hats, the woolen type. What time of year were you there? We will be there later in July and I would like to know what to wear now. I will be bringing a hooded jacked and I guess I will get wear out of it, after looking at your pictures.

I noticed that the children and some adults were mostly wearing hats, the woolen type. What time of year were you there? We will be there later in July and I would like to know what to wear now. I will be bringing a hooded jacked and I guess I will get wear out of it, after looking at your pictures.

I've been to Qaqortoq many times, July, August, early September. There's been at least one large iceburg in the harbor every time.

You should bring a sweatshirt, windbreaker, and gloves. Some combination of those will be in order.

There's a good museum in town; walk to the left after you come off the tender dock. There's a great sod hut out back. Gives you an excellent idea what living conditions used to be.

While down that direction, check out the Old Kirk.

In Nanortalik it seems as though the ship (Europdam) is bigger than the town. It is a very tiny place and there did not seem to be any roads out of it----so no place to take a tour. Prior to our visit I went on the town's website and found a listing of activities planned for cruise ship visitors on that day.

We anchored off the town with the nose of the ship just poking into the harbour. There were icebergs galore all around us----an amazing sight.

For us the highlight was cruising in Prince Christian Sound the day before---icebergs, glaciers, mountains, ----the full meal deal, and breathtaking.

Archived