Crazy Question, But Gotta Ask

f1rstclass

I know from the start this may sound strange, but have to ask it just to satisfy my own curiousity.

Do airlines, allow you, much like hotels, to basically have tickets "held" on a credit card and not be charged until the day of?

I know, crazy huh? But, I was thinking that if I can find a great deal on airfare and the funds are a little tight, to see if that rate can be held in someway.

Thanks for the responses and again, I know it's crazy but just can't figure this one out.

Thanks again!

I know from the start this may sound strange, but have to ask it just to satisfy my own curiousity.

Do airlines, allow you, much like hotels, to basically have tickets "held" on a credit card and not be charged until the day of?

I know, crazy huh? But, I was thinking that if I can find a great deal on airfare and the funds are a little tight, to see if that rate can be held in someway.

Thanks for the responses and again, I know it's crazy but just can't figure this one out.

Thanks again!

Not really but if you book direct with the airline websites some of them have a buy now pay later option.

Go through the booking process and that will be an option on the payment page.

Yes they check your credit but you will get an instant decision.

Not really but if you book direct with the airline websites some of them have a buy now pay later option.

Go through the booking process and that will be an option on the booking page.

That may be the information I'm looking for.

Are you able to say which airlines those may be?

I know USAIR and AirTran use this.

Just do fake bookings on the airlines you are interested in and when you get to the payment page you cant miss the buy now pay later option. Its called "Bill me later" and you have six months to pay it off.

I know USAIR and AirTran use this.

Just do fake bookings on the airlines you are interested in and when you get to the payment page you cant miss the buy now pay later option. Its called "Bill me later" and you have six months to pay it off.

Nice, thanks for the information!! :-)

Well, tried it, was hoping that a credit check wouldn't be required, but it was so no go on that option. :(:(:(:(

OF course a credit check is required!!! The airlines (actually a bank) is extending you credit to buy the tickets.

Not crazy.

But just like hotel reservations that can be held like this, which are only available on flexible rates, you are likely only to be able to do this on a flexible air fare.

In contrast, cheap air fares almost always come with the condition that ticketing must be completed at the same time as the reservation is made. And the airline will not issue the ticket unless the fare has been paid.

As has already been explained, those airlines that have "buy now, pay later" schemes are finding someone to lend you the money that has just been taken by the airline to pay for the ticket that has been issued. So it's unsurprising that a credit check is required, just as CruisingBull said in the first reply to your post.

Anyway, if funds are tight and you can't get credit, maybe it's not the right time to be undertaking discretionary travel?

Thanks again!

Your screen name somehow doesn't quite match your question.

Your screen name somehow doesn't quite match your question.

I was thinking the very same :D

Anyway, if funds are tight and you can't get credit, maybe it's not the right time to be undertaking discretionary travel?

+1

Archived