Best Beach in Corfu That Has the Feel of Greece

gemz

Heard that Corfu has the nicest beaches in Greece. Which beach would give us the best "Greek" feeling as opposed to the Caribbean beaches that we have experienced? I would like a beach that I could sit and say "The Greek Islands are so unbelievably gorgeous!"

• 8 months later...
Heard that Corfu has the nicest beaches in Greece. Which beach would give us the best "Greek" feeling as opposed to the Caribbean beaches that we have experienced? I would like a beach that I could sit and say "The Greek Islands are so unbelievably gorgeous!"

Did you ever get an answer to this? I want the same thing!

Not sure what you mean by the "Greek" feeling. Corfu has some excellent sandy beaches and they are typical of decent beaches found anywhere. If you want a beach with facilities you will find the usual chair rentals, snack bars, water toys, etc. This is what brings most European tourists to Corfu year after year (the sun and sand). We think the best bet for most cruise passengers would be Glyfada Beach which has decent sand and good facilities. You can get there by using the local bus from Corfu Town (just ask anyone when you get off the ship), you could take a taxi, or you could rent a car. If you rent a car you might want to beach hop and hit a 2 or 3 different places in one day.

Hank

I wonder what a "Greek" feel is to a beach?

Corfu is a lot different than most of Greece. Most of the Med areas of Greece are fairly dry, what is commonly referred to as Mediterrean in climate and vegetation.

Corfu, on the other hand is lusher, greener, like it receives more rain than most of southern Greece. This mentioned by some tour guides. There are some pretty beaches.

Not sure what you mean by the "Greek" feeling. Corfu has some excellent sandy beaches and they are typical of decent beaches found anywhere. If you want a beach with facilities you will find the usual chair rentals, snack bars, water toys, etc. This is what brings most European tourists to Corfu year after year (the sun and sand). We think the best bet for most cruise passengers would be Glyfada Beach which has decent sand and good facilities. You can get there by using the local bus from Corfu Town (just ask anyone when you get off the ship), you could take a taxi, or you could rent a car. If you rent a car you might want to beach hop and hit a 2 or 3 different places in one day.

Hank

Hi Hank,

I am thinking of renting a car. My concern is that all the street signs will be in Greek and that I won't be able to tell where I am. I have never rented a car in Europe, so I am nervous anyway. Can you give me any insight into what it's like in Corfu? Also, since there are 7 of us, we are thinking of renting a mini-van. Are the roads super narrow?

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi there,

I went to Corfu years ago (not on a cruise) and really enjoyed Pelekas Beach. We also rented mopeds and drove around the island some and visited other more secluded beaches - it's one of my fondest memories ever as that day was gorgeous and so fun to be zipping around on a moped. It didn't feel dangerous at all and we had no problem finding our way with the Greek street signs, etc. I would highly recommend it!

Hope this helps!

Stacey

My opinion is that Skiathos island has the best beaches in Greece (all Sporades area has beautiful beaches) but there isn't any cruise port:(

Corfu has a very nice area with small sandy beaches... Paleokastritsa.

Paleokastritsa, placed 25 Km North West from Corfu.. a local website writes:

"PALEOKASTRITSA

Placed 25 Km North West from Corfu town, Paleokastritsa is one of the most picturesque and stunning places of the island.

Paleokastritsa is constituted by two small peninsulas which permit the tourists to choose between six different bays where they can relax and swim.

Here the water of the sea assumes amazing colours from blue to green; for this reason Paleokastritsa is one of the best places in Corfu for snorkeling.

We suggest you not to miss

a swim near Skialoudi small islet, just in front of Paleokastritsa which is

also a great diving point.

It’s possible also to visit Nafsica caves and St. Nicholas caves, or just ask someone to take you by boat in a lonely beach where you can find privacy and relax.

Moreover there is the possibility to drive along an amazing panoramic road and to admire from the top all

Paleokastritsa area.

From this road you can see all together the six different bays, the two peninsulas and the Mediterranean nature that together with olive and lemon trees goes down into the Greek sea.

In Paleokastritsa you can also visit a beautiful and old monastery placed on the top of a little promontory."

Hi Hank,

I am thinking of renting a car. My concern is that all the street signs will be in Greek and that I won't be able to tell where I am. I have never rented a car in Europe, so I am nervous anyway. Can you give me any insight into what it's like in Corfu? Also, since there are 7 of us, we are thinking of renting a mini-van. Are the roads super narrow?

Thanks,

Amanda

Well, you need to start somewhere and driving in Greece is actually pretty easy. There is not a lot of traffic on Corfu once you get away from Corfu Town. Roads are generally 2 lanes, well marked, and most signs are written with the English alphabet. Keep in mind that most rental cars in Greece (and Europe) have manual transmissions. If you want an automatic you will usually pay a pretty big premium. If you do want to rent a mini van it is probably wise to reserve in advance before you leave home. You might want to also consider that gas costs over $8 a gallon just about anywhere in Europe. You also need to consider rental car insurance issues (just like at home). Many major credit cards will cover you for CDW...but you should check with your credit card company(s) if you are planning in using this option. As to Corfu's roads. they are normal 2 lane roads (there are some 4 lane roads in Corfu Town) and will not be a problem. Getting a GPS with your rental can be helpful although its not too hard to navigate on Corfu with a map (the rental car dealers will give you a map). About the only place on Corfu we would not drive is in Corfu Town where it makes more sense to find a parking spot and then explore on foot.

Hank

Archived