uncovered balconies on Princess ships, they need to put on website!

JokerABC

My God, would look at that. I would rather go in debt for a year for a full suite or an AD mini.

Watch what you say as the PH suites are just like the balcony where the guy is with no shirt on, except twice as wide, no deeper.

Mike:)

We were in a Baja cabin on the Caribbean Princess. Our balcony was small, just enough room for 2 chairs and a small table, but we had a roof over us. However we looked down on the next two decks who had bigger balconies. I think some of theirs were partly covered but what we saw was not.

My God, would look at that. I would rather go in debt for a year for a full suite or an AD mini.

An AD mini on the Emerald Deck costs less than the ones of the Dolphin deck, so you will spend less for that than for the exposed cabin featured in the picture. I, for one, rather get my sun lying out on a balcony like the exposed one pictured, than have to prowl around for a deck chair and watch everybody else up on deck. Our own lounge chairs, an airconditioned cabin just inside with Diet Cokes and our own bathroom and not have to watch the speedo brigade - heaven.

just booked a cabin today on the dolphin deck on a grand class ship, and just found out that the balcony is totally uncovered. are you kidding me? why didn't they put that on the website? i read through descriptions so many times of rooms.

i couldn't stand a 100% uncovered balcony. even with privacy issues, imagine the weather issues in Alaska.

you would think Princess can put something this important on the room descriptions. for others still booking, dolphin deck = 100% uncovered, carib deck= half covered, half uncovered, all other decks=totally covered

time to change rooms!

We took the Alaska cruise on the Island Princess, and were in a minisuite in the midship bulge, where we could look out and forward with no obstruction. Frankly, I never noticed whether the balcony was covered or uncovered . . . because typically it was 50 degrees with the equivalent of a 20-30 mph wind. No one hanging out sunbathing on their balconies, and really no problem with the rain. The only time anyone really used their balconies was when the ship was cruising slowly in Glacier Bay and College Fjord, when everybody was out on their balconies. And I know this because I could easily see into several dozen balconies on the Caribe, Dolphin and Emerald decks. Nothing covered. At least on the Island Princess and her sister ship, you'd need to be on the Aloha deck to be assured of a covered balcony, but then you may have to deal with the noise from the pool deck immediately above.

We have a Caribe deck balcony on the Sapphire heading to Alaska in mid September. Will I have ppl above me looking down into the open area of our balcony? I am assuming that if I am sitting under the covered part that I shouldn't see anyone at all.

We had a Caribe deck BA one cruise. You will have privacy in the covered area, but none in the uncovered half. We hated feeling like a zoo animal (and really hated looking down into other people's balcony); that's why we booked the AD on the next cruise.

Our thoughts at looking down into the balconies were the same; our solution was different.

It is a matter of personal preference. I wish Princess newer ships were designed differently as an AD just isn't always an option for us. At least we all can make our own choices.

An AD mini on the Emerald Deck costs less than the ones of the Dolphin deck, so you will spend less for that than for the exposed cabin featured in the picture. I, for one, rather get my sun lying out on a balcony like the exposed one pictured, than have to prowl around for a deck chair and watch everybody else up on deck. Our own lounge chairs, an airconditioned cabin just inside with Diet Cokes and our own bathroom and not have to watch the speedo brigade - heaven.

my understanding is that the price of the ad mini on the emerald deck is no longer cheaper. princess has finally figured out that these cabins are favored by many. i love the balconies on the the caribe deck but want a mini. so the options are the uncovered minis on the dophin deck or the few covered minis on the emerald. my decision would depend on the itinerary. :)

I think most of the passengers on any cruise will not have heard of Cruise Critic.

I have booked with several good cruise TAs but none have brought up the subject of covered or uncovered balconies.

There are numerous threads on this subject here on CC, complete with pictures. The search function is your friend.

In defense of the OP, the ships are sold and filled by Princess, not CruiseCritic, so in the interest of honesty and PR, it WOULD be advisable if Princess did make mention of the type of cover on the various balconies.

I was initially unaware of just how 'open' the open balconies were on the Sapphire during our cruise to Alaska. However, what we lost in privacy, we more than made up for in enjoyable deck space on the few sunny days....so much so that we booked on the same deck for our Greek/Med Cruise next year. Like Benita said, it will be a great way to enjoy the sun without having to fight for a deck chair.

my understanding is that the price of the ad mini on the emerald deck is no longer cheaper. princess has finally figured out that these cabins are favored by many. i love the balconies on the the caribe deck but want a mini. so the options are the uncovered minis on the dophin deck or the few covered minis on the emerald. my decision would depend on the itinerary. :)

AD minis are still less; looks like about $50pp less than AC on a 7 day cruise and $100pp less on some longer ones I checked. Some people like covered and some like open. Nice that we have such choices! Realy, the uncovered never bothered me. However, we did book an AD mini for our January cruise, since I heard so many good things about them (and it was cheaper). So if we don't get an upgrade, I'll be able to judge for myself which I prefer. It should be interesting.

Archived