uncovered balconies on Princess ships, they need to put on website!

JokerABC

just booked a cabin today on the dolphin deck on a grand class ship, and just found out that the balcony is totally uncovered. are you kidding me? why didn't they put that on the website? i read through descriptions so many times of rooms.

i couldn't stand a 100% uncovered balcony. even with privacy issues, imagine the weather issues in Alaska.

you would think Princess can put something this important on the room descriptions. for others still booking, dolphin deck = 100% uncovered, carib deck= half covered, half uncovered, all other decks=totally covered

time to change rooms!

just booked a cabin today on the dolphin deck on a grand class ship, and just found out that the balcony is totally uncovered. are you kidding me? why didn't they put that on the website? i read through descriptions so many times of rooms.

i couldn't stand a 100% uncovered balcony. even with privacy issues, imagine the weather issues in Alaska.

you would think Princess can put something this important on the room descriptions. for others still booking, dolphin deck = 100% uncovered, carib deck= half covered, half uncovered, all other decks=totally covered

time to change rooms!

If you booked a mini suite, the only covered minis (and they are totally covered) are those towards the aft on the port and starboard side of the Emerald Deck. There are not many of them and they usually book up pretty quick. If you are planning to change to an Emerald Deck mini, I would not delay any longer than necessary. Enjoy!

That information is pretty widely available and is no secret. Did you book with a travel agent? They should have made you aware of all the options.

A lot of folks prefer open balconies.

Mike:)

One person's nightmare cabin is another person's dream cabin. We always book a minisuite on the Dolphin deck, instead of the Emerald deck because we want the sun. Privacy is a bit more of an issue, but no balcony is really private, as the people next door can see around the divider every time that they lean on the balcony to look at the water. It would be a good idea for Princess to post the description in their brochures and on the web site.

This information is never mentioned even on websites for other lines, not just Princess. I agree it should be published. Just do your homework and explore the boards for whatever line or ship you want.

There are numerous threads on this subject here on CC, complete with pictures. The search function is your friend.

I expect things like that to be on Princess' website. I come here to search for details and other "fun" and insider info on cruises.

Mike, didn't book with an agent. Did it on my own.

While it would be a good idea to post this info on the Princess site, there are a countless number of threads on this issue here on CC. As a previous poster stated, the search fucnction is definetely your friend.....Whichever cabin you decided to book, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.....:):):)

Bob

I expect things like that to be on Princess' website. I come here to search for details and other "fun" and insider info on cruises.

Which cruise and ship are you on?

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask as that is what we are here for.

Mike:)

There are lots of "problem" cabins and I know of no cruise line that actually discloses these in their brochures; and, as has been said, not everyone considers these to be cruise stopping problems.

This is why I use Cruise Critic to provide me with the info. before I book, and it contains lots of useful titbits.

Of course the other point is why not use a TA, I have never yet found a cruise cheaper on a cruise line website than I could obtain via a TA, on-line or high street, and they should have this sort of info at their finger tips.

We had a dolphin mini-suit on our Alaska cruise and had no problems with it at all. However, we sailed in May and had no issues with rain or "bad" weather.

That said, it would be nice if Princess added that to their description. If your not happy, call Princess and change rooms - but you will price will probably change when you change rooms

There are lots of "problem" cabins and I know of no cruise line that actually discloses these in their brochures; and, as has been said, not everyone considers these to be cruise stopping problems.

This is why I use Cruise Critic to provide me with the info. before I book, and it contains lots of useful titbits.

This may not be a "problem" cabin to many ppl who actually prefer an open balcony. It is a simple description that can be put on the website.

you must have figured that most people who go on cruises don't check cruisecritic.com every chance they get. you can't expect everyone to come here and search. the majority of the public won't be found here, this is a niche community.

I do think it would be helpful to have the balcony descriptions on the website. A large number of people do not utilize CC like we do and all TAs are not aware either. I had to C&P the descriptions from here and send them to my TA!! She had no idea there was a "plan". (Please don't suggest I find another TA---she is the only game in this tiny town)

I agree with you 100%. I am not even sure if you were to book over the phone if the Princess Rep would know which deck was covered or not.

To the OP: I understand your concerns completely and agree that information should be in the cabin descriptions on the website. Easy for them to do.

Some people cannot be exposed to the sun. It's that simple. Just ask your dermatologist and if you don't have one, you probably will.

I agree that having a covered balcony is preferable in Alaska; you are more protected from the elements which are likely no matter what time of year you sail. Skagway has one of the highest number of rainy days in the US, if I remember correctly.

Using a good TA is always a good idea. Not only can the assist you in cabin select but they will give you a better price, sometimes a much better price, than booking directly. As Toto says, check into the mini-suites on Emerald deck ASAP. They almost always sell out first.

We had a dolphin mini-suit on our Alaska cruise and had no problems with it at all. However, we sailed in May and had no issues with rain or "bad" weather.

That said, it would be nice if Princess added that to their description. If your not happy, call Princess and change rooms - but you will price will probably change when you change rooms

I booked an AC mini (with a totally uncovered balcony) for our T/A next year. Just couldn't pass up the deal that our T/A offered us. The thought of an uncoovered balcony bothered me at first, but now I'm looking at it as kinda cool. To be standing out on the balcony during some inclimate weather, at least to me, sounds like it might be fun. Sorta like what's his name in the movie Titanic.....:):):)

Bob

time to change rooms!

I agree with you, make sure to tell them that when you do your post cruise survey.

I believe that all of the balconies are fully covered, except for the dolphin mini suites and the Caribe deck, which has extra large balconies that are half covered. We booked a balcony guarantee on Princess last year and were pleasantly surprised when we saw our Caribe cabin balcony!

I agree that it should be noted on their website. They make a notation about obstructed view cabins. Why not have a similar one that states whether a balcony is covered, uncovered, or partly covered.

I'm on the Baja deck...does that mean my balcony is totally covered? I'm the opposite as I would rather have an uncovered balcony!
Yes. Your balcony is totally covered although there will be some sun during the day, depending on the time of day and the ship's sailing direction. The balcony is relatively small so it won't make a whole lot of difference whether it's covered or not. A mini-suite is a bit different because the balcony is a lot larger.

Archived