Order from MDR to eat in room?

Hi everyone,

We are sailing on the Serenade tomorrow (!), which will also be our first wedding anniversary. We were hoping to be able to eat on our balcony for the first night- is it possible to order dinner from the MDR and have it delivered? Or do they only serve off the room service menu? It would be the perfect anniversary dinner to eat on our balcony as we are sailing away... Thanks!

Unless you are in a GS or higher cabin you won't be able to order from the MDR menu and will have only the standard in room menu. It is kind of limited, but there are some gems on the in room menu. Also, tipping the runners is greatly appreciated, so have some dollar bills on hand. The general feel from what I read on CC is $2-$3. But I feel that one must take more into consideration. On my last cruise I had an aft cabin, and decided to have breakfast delivered every morning. Because of the distance I decided to tip $5. The runners were VERY grateful, which made giving the relatively higher tip a real joy for me (I tend to be a good tipper because I worked in a bar for several years and understand that life very well). The service was outstanding (if you want breakfast you have a card to put on your door the night before with a time for delivery), always on time and food perfect. :D

Tipping generously had an unexpected perk . . . :cool: On three separate occasions the room service staff sent complimentary chocolate covered strawberries to my cabin! That was awesome and really is still a sweet memory to this day. :D

Sorry, captain, you are not correct. The TV channel which displays the daily menus only lists the items from the MDR that CAN be ordered for your cabin. Not all items are available, but there will be several choices. I don't think eating on your balcony is a good idea as the table is very small and as another poster noted, the table in the cabin is small also...but it is a bit bigger than the balcony table.

Sorry, captain, you are not correct. The TV channel which displays the daily menus only lists the items from the MDR that CAN be ordered for your cabin. Not all items are available, but there will be several choices. I don't think eating on your balcony is a good idea as the table is very small and as another poster noted, the table in the cabin is small also...but it is a bit bigger than the balcony table.

Okay, if I am wrong it is happily so. :D I didn't see that on previous cruises, and thought that being able to order from the MDR was a perk reserved to GS and higher. At least that is what RCL seems to say on the web site.

Happy cruising to the OP! You will love the Serenade, great ship!

Unless you're in a suite with a real table, it's not going to be the "romantic" meal you envision....the patio table is about 18 inches (if that)...and all meal items come on multiple plates, condiments in little paper pouches....it's messy as all get out!

It might be nicer and more romantic to eat at one of the specialty restaurants on your anniversary!

This is correct. Full MDR menu for suite guests and reduced items from the MDR for non suite cabins JS and below. I also agree that if your cabin does not have a dining room table, eating a full meal will not be easy.

Hi everyone,

We are sailing on the Serenade tomorrow (!), which will also be our first wedding anniversary. We were hoping to be able to eat on our balcony for the first night- is it possible to order dinner from the MDR and have it delivered? Or do they only serve off the room service menu? It would be the perfect anniversary dinner to eat on our balcony as we are sailing away... Thanks!

Here is what you can do, go to your table in the MDR, order and tell your waiter its your anniversary and you would like to eat on your Balcony.

He will put covers on your food and you can take it to your room. Just remember him/her on tip day.

I don't think captain is incorrect. I am just off the Liberty in a GS. Each day the dinner menu from the MDR was delivered for us to order from if wanted. There was never a MDR dinner menu posted an the tv.( I know I have seen this in the past though.) There was a limited in-room menu posted on the tv with things like spinach dip and chips, pizza, open faced steak sandwich, ceasar salad, and some desserts. Most of the items looked different from what was on MDR menu. If you do this, plan on giving them time to deliver....took 45 minutes one day for lunch to come. Could be different on different ships. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Every cruise I have done in the past several years on RCI, you could order from several selections from the MDR, during dining times only, to be delivered to your cabin. If that has changed it is very recent as it was available in May on Mariner. Yes, GS and above can order anything from MDR menu.

Archived