rough seas out of southampton

That's abit like asking how long is a piece of string. It can be glass flat to force 12 with the ship bouncing round all over the place much like any sea. I've experienced both extremes of the scale, I'd say force 4-5 is about average.

All,

can anyone comment on how rough the seas are out of southampton going towards the strait of gibralter.

Thanks

B

Yesterday in the English Channel, glorious weather, force 1 to 3. But can occasionally play a bit rough, esp in winter.

Same goes for the Bay of Biscay, which has a reputation for bad temper, again more noticeable in winter.

But most cruises out of Southampton are summertime, prospects are that the seas will be ok.

Now watch them prove me wrong. :rolleyes:

John Bull

I agree with everyone else.

2 years ago we had an incredibly smooth cruise through the Bay of Biscay at the beginning of July.

2 weeks later, my sister and family had such a rough crossing my nephew didn't move from the cabin for 2 days.

April '10, July and October '09 all flat calm. I'm expecting my next to be really rough (Oct '10). We have been lucky in the Bay of Biscay as well, weather wasnt great last October but the ship didnt move too much.

The worst I have experienced was a ferry from Brittany to Plymouth one August.

On our recent W Med cruise on Ventura, the passage across the Bay of Biscay was very smooth in both directions. We did find some force 8 winds in the Med, however: on the run from Civitavecchia to Gibraltar, after passing through the Strait of Bonifacio between Corsica and Sardinia. So you can never know where or when it will be rough, or smooth.

Just like most seas around the world this will vary from very calm to semi to rough. If in dought just come prepared with something just in case you get sea sick. Hopefully, you won't but always best to be on the safe side.

Keith

Archived