Same chair or rotate?

Ryancoke

We have been on 9 cruises, and except for one, everyone just naturally traded seats nightly, but sitting with their spouse. When we arrive at the table first, my husband always makes sure we don't sit where we sat the previous evening to give everyone an even chance at sitting with best view or whatever. With one exception, we've always enjoyed everyone we met and we enjoy tables of 8 on 2 week cruises, and everyone was interesting. Only on one cruise, this January, did we sit with 3 couples that always arrived early and always sat in the same places. Unfortunately, that left us sitting next to a bombastic obnoxious man. I was sick of the man, and even my husband said he'd rather eat room service than listen to the man again. We found that the better alternative restaurants were fully booked but discovered the casual dining and finished off the 5 day cruise dining in peace.

So this thread has been very interesting, as I just assumed everyone switched seats to be considerate of their tablemates.

What an interesting topic. It's funny we were only deciding today whether we should go for a larger table again for the Aussie trip. On our last trip we had a great table of 8 and enjoyed it very much.

We were wondering whether to go for a table of 2 this time, but we like to have fun and chat and meet people also. This trip is for 3 weeks and am wondering whether or not to go for a table of 8?

I guess we will go for it and enjoy it, besides I'm sure everyone will be in high spirits and hopefully we will get to meet some great Aussies :)

Thanks for the thread, as newbies my OH and I hadn't even thought about rotating. I think I'll just make the effort to try and rotate, it seems the fairest way to me. I'm terrified of offending someone and getting an :rolleyes: as we're only 27 & 30.

On my last few crossings in the Grills, we rotated. I tend to be a creature of habit, so the rotating was not my idea. However, I didn't mind it in the least. I tend to eat as late as possible, so there was always someone in a seat I'd already sat in, when I arrived.

Thanks for the thread, as newbies my OH and I hadn't even thought about rotating. I think I'll just make the effort to try and rotate, it seems the fairest way to me. I'm terrified of offending someone and getting an :rolleyes: as we're only 27 & 30.

I felt exactly like that before I went on my first cruise - but I pretty soon discovered that the trick was to ignore just about everything that you read on here, apart from things about train timings and the funny stuff (which is good entertainment value).

Never lose sight of the fact that you are going on holiday. And what's more, It's your holiday - just get in there and enjoy youself, and if anybody gets offended because you're enjoying yourself then they can go straight to hell in a handcart of their own choosing! The one group that I cannot abide on any damn cruise are the tut-tutters! Fortunately they are few in number and easily avoided.

And as far as rotating seats go - just take an office chair with you and you can rotate till you're dizzy. :D:D

J

One thing I am concerned about is on all my previous cruises my DH and I have always had a table for 2. On this particular cruise I am going with my Mom to celebrate her 81st birthday. My Father recently passed away a few months ago and I am hoping to cheer my Mom up a bit (and myself as well)! I think it would be good for her if we sit at a larger table so she has others to converse with but if everyone is "coupled up" it might be sad for her. We are in the Britannia Club. Any thoughts?

One thing I am concerned about is on all my previous cruises my DH and I have always had a table for 2. On this particular cruise I am going with my Mom to celebrate her 81st birthday. My Father recently passed away a few months ago and I am hoping to cheer my Mom up a bit (and myself as well)! I think it would be good for her if we sit at a larger table so she has others to converse with but if everyone is "coupled up" it might be sad for her. We are in the Britannia Club. Any thoughts?

Hi Saylor Girl. My condolences to your family.

On two QM2 voyages, my husband and I were seated at a table for six with a single older women accompanied by her adult child and another couple. On both occasions, everyone at the table was actively engaged in the conversation. The first nights are usually a bit quiet, but after that we all seemed to enjoy ourselves immensely. (My belated apologies to those nearby if we all laughed too loudly.)

An anecdote about being "coupled up": A woman told me as we were chatting at the pool area, "They gave us a table for two! I don't want to talk only to him (her husband) for the whole cruise. I do that every night at home!" So, I would venture to say that those who ask to be seated at a large table do so because they want to talk to different folks.

Again, my deepest sympathy on your loss. I hope happy memories and a wonderful voyage help somewhat to ease your mother's pain.

Regards,

Salacia

We also do a table for 2. Being a gay couple(though we've never had issues)we notice some folks are not "comfortable" being seated with a gay couple. We are not flamboyant in the least, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure same sex couples.

Yeah well the rocket scientsts can't work out who are gay or not anyway. I did a TA with a great friend of mine (both straight female) and we had a woman at the table who made our life very uncomforable as she assumed we were gay. All I want at dinner are people who are fun, friendly, polite (thanks Norm, Toby, Teddy & Carole - you made our cruise x)

Hi Saylor Girl. My condolences to your family.

On two QM2 voyages, my husband and I were seated at a table for six with a single older women accompanied by her adult child and another couple. On both occasions, everyone at the table was actively engaged in the conversation. The first nights are usually a bit quiet, but after that we all seemed to enjoy ourselves immensely. (My belated apologies to those nearby if we all laughed too loudly.)

An anecdote about being "coupled up": A woman told me as we were chatting at the pool area, "They gave us a table for two! I don't want to talk only to him (her husband) for the whole cruise. I do that every night at home!" So, I would venture to say that those who ask to be seated at a large table do so because they want to talk to different folks.

Again, my deepest sympathy on your loss. I hope happy memories and a wonderful voyage help somewhat to ease your mother's pain.

Regards,

Salacia

Salacia, thank you for your kind words. I am sure we will have a wonderful voyage just a few years ago my sisters and I all went with my Parents on a Princess cruise and it was incredible being with them. We have such good memories of our Dad from that trip and I know my Mom and I will share something special.

As far as a table for 2 my DH and I both have such hectic work lives that when we cruise or travel we are very selfish to just be with each other! They always are live a continuing honeymoon!! So sitting at a group table is something I have not done on a cruise in many years. I think it will be very interesting and hoping for good tablemates. And we will be sure and rotate!!!

Archived