Same chair or rotate?

Ryancoke

When dining with strangers do you keep the same chair each night? I'm a creature of habit and I think most people return to the same seats every time. Most tables have seats that are better than others. Last trip one couple arrived early only the first night and got the best view seats. Subsequently they were much later each night and sometimes never showed at all (and never mentioned they weren't coming either). In retrospect we should have taken them but would that have been rude? A discussion the first night would be in order on this subject to avoid hard feelings. What have you done?

On our crossing we rotated. The first couple there would take seats and we all filled in. We were at a 6 top and I'd never done that on a cruise before, but it was nice. Mom and I always sat together, but the couples rotated so I was always next to someone new.

There was no prior discussion, so I say first one down gets to choose. Of course we had a laid-back table so nothing was a big deal, but you might get a table of uptights and ruin the experience...:eek:

Hi

The only time I've been at a big table (on QM2) some suggested, and we all agreed, to rotate each night, at random. It worked fine for us, we got different views each night.

Once, on a table for two, we exchanged "ends" each night just for a change of view.

Unless someone REALLY objects I would shuffle the table each meal, some tables do have "bad" seats, those are tough on the person sitting there night after night...

Very best wishes

When dining with strangers do you keep the same chair each night? I'm a creature of habit and I think most people return to the same seats every time. Most tables have seats that are better than others. Last trip one couple arrived early only the first night and got the best view seats. Subsequently they were much later each night and sometimes never showed at all (and never mentioned they weren't coming either). In retrospect we should have taken them but would that have been rude? A discussion the first night would be in order on this subject to avoid hard feelings. What have you done?

I've always worked on the first-to-arrive-chooses principle, and so far have been fortunate enough to dine with others who seem to have the same principle (it has never been discussed so they either agreed with it or hid their chagrin well!).

I wonder if a rule could be brought in for 'best seat' hoggers - we often read of people who have asked for a change of table when they don't like their dining partners, but it seems fairer to me that the causes should be the ones to be removed. Perhaps upon arrival they could be informed by the maitre d' 'Im terribly sorry but your tablemates have voted you off the table' :D

... we often read of people who have asked for a change of table when they don't like their dining partners, but it seems fairer to me that the causes should be the ones to be removed. Perhaps upon arrival they could be informed by the maitre d' 'Im terribly sorry but your tablemates have voted you off the table' :D

I've seen it happen!

At an eight-top, three of the four couples asked to be moved. But the maitre d' wasn't stupid. The problem couple were put on an empty six-top where they sat at opposite ends and never said a word to each other all cruise.:eek:

We normally move around the table as well. Makes it interesting when the photographer tries to take photos of couples on formal night. We just let them take pics of who they think is a couple:D

Regards, Colin.

I think it is a good idea to swap seats. On our first TA this did not happen and I ended up looking at the waiters area every night. It was our first ever trip and we did not know any better. We were last to take our seats, next time we will be early.

I think if it happened this time I would suggest a change round.

Catherine

We always go by first come gets choice seats , others sit what's left. No discussion ever . That's they way the world works for us .

I should say that we now request a table for 2 . Having good table mates for every dinner can be like Russian Roulette for us.

I usually ask for a table for 6 or more and would rather rotate. I usually travel solo and find it easier to talk with tablemates this way. Also it's nice to get a different view each night. If the rest are against it, I won't push the issue. It is like Russian Roulette, but I'll play it every time. :) Beats eating alone IMO (do that at home).

This is one of my favorite subjects! I am strongly in favor of rotating seats and suggest that it be discussed with your tablemates at the first meal. Most will agree to rotate, IF it is discussed in advance. Otherwise, most of the time people tend to think of their seat as THEIR seat for the rest of the cruise.

And I do not favor those who say first to arrive get their choice. They are usually the type of people who do not want to rotate, so they line up at the dining room doors twenty minutes before opening to ensure they get the same seats.

This is one of my favorite subjects! I am strongly in favor of rotating seats and suggest that it be discussed with your tablemates at the first meal. Most will agree to rotate, IF it is discussed in advance. Otherwise, most of the time people tend to think of their seat as THEIR seat for the rest of the cruise.

And I do not favor those who say first to arrive get their choice. They are usually the type of people who do not want to rotate, so they line up at the dining room doors twenty minutes before opening to ensure they get the same seats.

As one of those who goes by first choice, I can state categorically that I have never done this and have never seen it done on QM2 - life is far too short! It is certainly too short to get into an argument with someone who doesn't want to rotate - if that comes up on the first night what do you do?

If anyone asked me to rotate on the first night, they would be firmly slapped:eek:.

Sir Martin

One of the best bits of advice my old Scottish granny ever gave me was "never rotate on a very first date". I never knew what she meant but I have followed that advice for the last ?5 years and I don't think it has done me any harm.

J

One of the best bits of advice my old Scottish granny ever gave me was "never rotate on a very first date". I never knew what she meant but I have followed that advice for the last ?5 years and I don't think it has done me any harm.

J

My Norfolk granny gave me exactly the same advice. It did me no good whatsoever:(.

Sir Martin

J

Ah, but consider what you may have missed.

A Flexible Gari

We were lucky to be seated at a table for 8 on Celebrity. Six of the people were friends. No one ever rotated and we were seated on the bench "for two" for the entire cruise because no matter how early we arrived, all others were always seated. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. On the bright side, the 3 men talked baseball evey single evening and we weren't interested. :D

Hi

The only time I've been at a big table (on QM2) some suggested, and we all agreed, to rotate each night, at random. It worked fine for us, we got different views each night.

Once, on a table for two, we exchanged "ends" each night just for a change of view.

Unless someone REALLY objects I would shuffle the table each meal, some tables do have "bad" seats, those are tough on the person sitting there night after night...

Very best wishes

Oh dear I've never heard of this before. On the last cruise where we had a table for six we took the last two seats left and never thought about it! We had lovely conversations every night with no need to shuffle and kept in touch after the cruise. I wouldn't mind taking a turn on the 'bad seat' if there was one, but I've booked my cruise to spend time with my husband and I don't want to shuffle seats - especially if it was a large table! I also don't want to upset anyone though - maybe I better ask for a table for two!:)

Oh dear I've never heard of this before. On the last cruise where we had a table for six we took the last two seats left and never thought about it! We had lovely conversations every night with no need to shuffle and kept in touch after the cruise. I wouldn't mind taking a turn on the 'bad seat' if there was one, but I've booked my cruise to spend time with my husband and I don't want to shuffle seats - especially if it was a large table! I also don't want to upset anyone though - maybe I better ask for a table for two!:)

When I end up on their table everybody rotates. Usually to other tables as fast as it can be arranged :eek:

J

No doubt because they feel inferior in the presence of such brillance :D

Vanishingly unlikely I think. A more plausible explanation would be that they are so nauseated by my table manners that they think they've got Norovirus. Either that or they have dropped into a narcoleptic coma brought on by my scintilating converstation. Hee hee.

J

We do a table for two as well, doing small talk gets old quickly night after night.

We also do a table for 2. Being a gay couple(though we've never had issues)we notice some folks are not "comfortable" being seated with a gay couple. We are not flamboyant in the least, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure same sex couples.

On 2 crossing it never came up. Both were tables of 6. Most of the time the entire table was part of nightly discussion. For b'fast & lunch we usually went to the dining room and asked for a large table. It was a good way to meet people. The only time we had a table for 2 was in Todd English's.

As to Keithm's comment: Next time sit with us. We had a gay guy at our table last year and he's the only one that we still keep in touch with.

We also do a table for 2. Being a gay couple(though we've never had issues)we notice some folks are not "comfortable" being seated with a gay couple. We are not flamboyant in the least, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure same sex couples.

Well, I'm sorry to hear this. Personally, I think you should get a large table if that is what you prefer and let those who are uncomfortable move. The more gay couples mingle with others as a matter of course, the sooner (hopefully) it will not be seen as much of an issue by anyone.

I think I would be more worried by your tendency to retributive violence.

I would be tempted to turn up wearing a nose guard, just in case.

An Aprehensive Gari

Archived