Flights from Rio to US/Canada

tropicalkerry2002

Well Don,

We had a totally different time in Rio as we finished a HAL cruise from Valparaso. We too had an overnight before disembarkation. We had reserved a suite at the Copabana Palace on the beach thru American Express and planned to take a cab to the hotel. As we were proceeding to the cab line, there were several jewelry people and we stopped for H Stern, don't know why and he promised us a small tour of Rio that afternoon and then a trip to his factory under no obligation and the next day an all day tour as our plane wasn't until about 9 PM.

There was an H Stern at our hotel and they picked us up on time and gave us the tour they promised and then a tour of the factory and of course a sales pitch. We bought a few things which we cherished.

Next day we had a driver and guide who took us anywhere we wanted and even paid for the entries. Excellent service and I don't often use the word excellent.

Spent all day (we had late checkout at the hotel and a free limo to the airport) on the tour and saw all we wanted. Even stopped for a late lunch and forced the guide to eat with us on us. Checked out of the hotel and sat around the pool waiting for time to go to the airport. No lines and a quick trip thru security and we had a 2 hour wait for our flight.

Your story may vary but, we had a fantastic debarkation and 2 days in Rio and NO issues at the airport??

I agree with rallydave about the "jewelry people".

We were on a BA to Rio Carnaval cruise with representatives onboard from several large jewelry companies (including Sterns). They were very pleasant and low key.

We had been to Rio several times and this time we wanted to see some different places in addition to some of the usual sights (among them the Botanical garden). We arranged tours in Rio with 2 different companies (2 days). Each one was great with pleasant drivers and guides. We also treated our guide to lunch at Porcao in Botafogo (highly recommended) with great views of Sugar Loaf, where he served us well with his local expertise. Yes, we visited their stores - there was no pressure to buy anything (but of course my DW did buy several beautiful pieces of costume jewelry). They would take you anywhere you wanted to go. We also tipped the guide and driver.

All around a very nice experience, meeting nice young local people and the price was right.

BTW, the Sterns "factory" in Ipanema is a worthwhile place to visit - nice place to buy souvenirs (if not jewelry) and they have several Carnaval costumes on display for those who have not been to one. Afterwards we had a great seafood lunch nearby and then the driver took us back to the ship (saving us not only the expense of a cab but also the worry about our safety with an unknown cab driver).

Actually, Don, I had read of your experience already before I posted. I am thinking a full day tour with drop off at the airport would be the thing to do, but hadn't thought of a drop off at Sao Paulo. Sounds like a good idea, but when I researched, I found SP is 200 miles from Rio, so I don't know if any guide would take you there without charging a fortune. But it is a question worth asking!

Then again, we may stay for the one extra day, still plenty of time to decide.

Of course, I'm hoping for the great airport experience that RallyDave had!

As for the jewelry people, are their tours a bonus for shopping with them?!

The various jewelers in Rio, H.Stern for sure, are more than happy to ride you around hoping that you'll bite when you do the obligatory look see at their impressive facility. To my knowledge, they are quite legitimate, albeit they do not give away the house.

As for flight options, my experience is confined to flying from Miami to Rio. We chose TAM, a world class and rather large Brazilian airline, because they flew at 11 AM. We felt the daytime flight, with a connection in SP, was well worth the 3 or so hours extra as we avoided the overnight and the resulting jet lag. I suspect a similar flight could be available on the Rio to Miami route, with a connection to Toronto.

While we did not experience the airport chaos in either Sao Paulo or Rio, I would strongly recommend particular caution if you tour either on your own or merely walk around (particularly at night). No one would classify those cities as among the safest for tourists.

Actually, Don, I had read of your experience already before I posted. I am thinking a full day tour with drop off at the airport would be the thing to do, but hadn't thought of a drop off at Sao Paulo. Sounds like a good idea, but when I researched, I found SP is 200 miles from Rio, so I don't know if any guide would take you there without charging a fortune. But it is a question worth asking!

Then again, we may stay for the one extra day, still plenty of time to decide.

Of course, I'm hoping for the great airport experience that RallyDave had!

You're right. I was subject to some bad information. I just mapped it, and the distance from city center to city center is 444 kilometers, or about 270 miles, without regard to where the port or the airport is located. I guess I was just so unhappy with our Rio airport experience that I was using wishful thinking.

The rest of the day, the tour, was fine. I don't have any experience with the jewelry store folks, but I've heard nothing but good reports, like Dave's, even from my travel agent, who likes to use them. The touring is apparently free of any obligations. The play a numbers game, and there are enough folks who feel and obligation to make it pay. Heck, they even fly a couple of their PR people to Spain and buy them a full cruise fare back to Brazil, just so they can casually strike up conversations and instill confidence -- they make no attempt to sell anything and apply no pressure.

Based on what I've heard, I would not hesitate to use them.

One interesting suggestion saw in this thread was to fly domestic from Rio to Sao Paulo, and then go through international security for your international flight from there. It would eliminate the double trips through security that I made, as I don't think the domestic Brazilian security is that strenuous.

It would require some research, as I have no idea what would be involved in going from domestic to international in Sao Paulo -- it might even be another airport. -- and I have no idea what it would cost.

As others have pointed out, there is no obligation (or charge) for the tour. They hope you buy something but you do not have to; there is no strong sales pitch (like you would get with the time share people here). They do have some unique and very nice costume pieces that are well worth it; if you do not like anything just say "No, thank you" - no hard feelings.

When we were in Rio the airport was a nightmare. Our guide went to bat for us as one of our party had a heart problem and we got to the front of the line. Otherwise it would have been a very long wait in lines.

Only place I have been where 4 hours preflight just might not be enough.

Mo

Archived