Why do you like Cunard? What could Cunard do better?

Classiccruiser777

Which is where I took one of my favourite photographs of QE2 anchored in the bay.

J

003qe2_ag_nik.jpg

J, Thanks. Beautiful photo! How did you manage to take it from angle? -What was your vantage point?

Salacia

J, Thanks. Beautiful photo! How did you manage to take it from angle? -What was your vantage point?

Salacia

It was taken from the tender that was taking us ashore. QE2 had a couple of "double decker" tenders that had an open top deck that was ideal for photography (apart from the fact that they tended to bob around a bit). Here's another shot taken on the same tender trip but from a slightly different angle.

J

002QE2AgNik.jpg

Great pics James.

Once thing Cunard could definitely improve on is the tea, coffee station set up. The most inefficient arrangement I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see if they have retained the same system on the Q.E.

Gari

Great pics James.

Once thing Cunard could definitely improve on is the tea, coffee station set up. The most inefficient arrangement I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see if they have retained the same system on the Q.E.

Gari

Are you talking about the QM2? I thought the arrangement was absolutely outrageous. You had to fight people because you are always going the opposite way from everyone else. Or was that just me going the wrong way again?:)

Are you talking about the QM2? I thought the arrangement was absolutely outrageous. You had to fight people because you are always going the opposite way from everyone else. Or was that just me going the wrong way again?:)

P.M. everyone goes the wrong way 'cos there IS no right way. It's a mess.

Gari

The main suggestion I would make for improvement would be for Cunard to ensure that everyone who works for them shoreside actually gets to go on the ships and experience them when they start their employment, particularly those involved in customer service - it almost feels at times as if the shoreside representatives see the actual ships as abstract concepts rather than the integral part of their business.

The main suggestion I would make for improvement would be for Cunard to ensure that everyone who works for them shoreside actually gets to go on the ships and experience them when they start their employment, particularly those involved in customer service - it almost feels at times as if the shoreside representatives see the actual ships as abstract concepts rather than the integral part of their business.

MadScientist, yes, it seems to me that there is a disconnect between shoreside representatives and the reality experienced on board. And I agree with you that it would be a great learning experience for shoreside representatives to have experience of being on the ships. But wouldn't that be a very costly and time consuming effort?

May I suggest the problem lies higher up with management. (Thinking about Mission Control for the Space Program: how many of those guiding the mission have actually been in outer space? Yet, the seem to do their jobs well.)

Shoreside representatives can only relay the information they are given by upper management. It seems to me that too often upper management has their heads below the water mark. IMHO, improvement needs to be made at upper management levels in order to rectify the disconnect between answers given by shoreside representatives as contrasted with the actual on-board experience.

Regards,

Salacia

What I wanted to say, though, was that my husband truly loves the QM2 library. It offers an enormous (for him) selection of books and other reading material, and with its large, sloping windows fronting the ocean and its plush, comfortable reading chairs, it made for an enormously enjoyable interlude each day. I do not know which other lines offer ships with such well-appointed libraries, but this would be one aspect of the Cunard ships--or at least the QM2, since I have not sailed on the other Cunard ships--that we would want to highlight.

--Sona

Hi Sona. Cunard offers a more cerebral cruise experience than most other cruise lines and this reflects on their libraries. As you may have already read in Cunard brochures, QM2 has the largest library at sea. More than 9,000 books. For all of us booklovers this is a sailing oasis for its great variety of subjects - and its nice setting.

But speaking of settings, the library on QV (or QE) is arguably even nicer than QM2's, even if it has somewhat fewer books (nearly 7,000 I think, which is again one of the largest libraries afloat). A wonderful, intimate space spanning on two decks, with a nice round stair to connect them, it's one of the vessel's strong points and not to be found on any other cruise company.

Which is where I took one of my favourite photographs of QE2 anchored in the bay.

J

003qe2_ag_nik.jpg

I visited Saint Nicholas when I was a teenager. The Dorians lived there then - nice fellows but their appetite to quarreling was somewhat out of measure. :confused: Then some snob guys came, called Romans, and suddenly all quarrels stopped. They made a Devastation and they called it a Peace.:D:D

Alas, no. :( I visited Saint Nicholas only once, 30 years ago. And sadly not on the QE2. Beautiful place, though - and beautiful photos, J!

Is it possible that orange soda problem was not a Cunard policy, but the misinterpretation of a confused crew member? Given the large variety of fruit beverages in Europe, and many of them not being soda, I can see the potential for mistakes.

Ginny, we found it strange and asked the waiter about it. He was very kind (service is always great at Commodore Club) and explained that Fanta had been discontinued. He took pains to go back to the station and write us a full list of what we could order using the Soda Card. So, I assume it was Cunard policy and not his misinterpretation.

Something similar happened at the Lido, where no orange juice was offered by the machine. Only lemonade. I asked a crew member about it and had a similar answer. But I have to say that in true Cunard fashion, he offered and brought us our orange juices at our table, even if it was a self-service venue. :cool: :)

QM2 has the largest library at sea. More than 9,000 books. For all of us booklovers this is a sailing oasis for its great variety of subjects - and its nice setting.

But speaking of settings, the library on QV (or QE) is arguably even nicer than QM2's, even if it has somewhat fewer books (nearly 7,000 I think, which is again one of the largest libraries afloat). A wonderful, intimate space spanning on two decks, with a nice round stair to connect them, it's one of the vessel's strong points and not to be found on any other cruise company.

Hi Robert

Can I second your comments?

Both QM2's Library (I love its position, great views from the starboard wing) and the two deck one (and spiral stairs) on QV are superb. I also liked the small study/desk area on the lower level of QV's with the wonderful view of the ocean rushing past.

I've read that the new 150,000gt Epic has NO library at all and I've heard that many Princess ships have a cupboard of old paperbacks as a "library".

There are many photographs of both QM2 and QV library via the link below.

I also liked the small study/desk area on the lower level of QV's with the wonderful view of the ocean rushing past.

Hi Pepper. Yes, this little area is fascinating. 'A masterpiece is in the details'.:)

I've read that the new 150,000gt Epic has NO library at all and I've heard that many Princess ships have a cupboard of old paperbacks as a "library".

Oh, the standards are really dropping. First hairy leg contests, now this...:D

I've read elsewhere that this is the golden age of middle-class cruising. Nothing bad with this. But even so, it seems that a strong trend downwards exists, at least at places. :confused:

When one sees such things, one is happier that companies like Cunard continue to exist. ;)

Then some snob guys came, called Romans, and suddenly all quarrels stopped.

ROFLMAO,

Yes, the Romans caused us the odd problem here in York as well. Basically, it's impossible to build anything new because every time you try to dig the foundations, you find yet more Roman remains which means that the archaeologists descend on the place in swarms and everything is delayed for two years :D:D

J

ROFLMAO,

Yes, the Romans caused us the odd problem here in York as well. Basically, it's impossible to build anything new because every time you try to dig the foundations, you find yet more Roman remains which means that the archaeologists descend on the place in swarms and everything is delayed for two years :D:D

J

This is called 'Classical inheritance'. :D

Archaeologists are a dreaded lot. :eek::eek:

Sure, but whatever his simplistic views may be, being barbarian does not enable one to act at will. ;)

True, but while it might not enable him to act act at will it permits him so to do, as surely the whole ethos of barbarism is precisely that.

Gari

Aprapos libraries. Here is the library on Jewel of the Seas.

OK - just for the sake of comparison, here are two of the library on QV (both taken on the lower level). A few more books than Jewel I think.

J

038_library.jpg

039_library.jpg

Archived