Why do you like Cunard? What could Cunard do better?

Classiccruiser777

I love everything about both ships, return often and we are booked for the QE's world cruise. My only negative is the many tacky trestle tables that are put out frequently with items on sale, especially in the corridor on the QM2 that leads to the dining room. To avoid them, I sometimes have to go through Sir Samuels and the Chart Room. They do nothing to enhance Cunard's dignified atmosphere.

True. Unfortunately they are used because they bring in quite a bit of revenue. Let's face it..these sidewalk sales are quite crowded. If they didn't sell, then perhaps they'd do away with them.

Pros: Elegant setting, quiet elegance, formal and refined, without being pretentious, lots of space and uncrowded, Chartroom.

Cons: Take away the table stalls along the hallway. :rolleyes:

Spot on, perfect, I fully agree

To take the opposite approach to Cunard. It is my favorite line because of the tradition and the formality. I would prefer all at sea evenings to be totally formal and port days to always require a jacket and tie for the gentlemen and dresses for the ladies. I would go so far as to love it if during the day the ladies would sport about in their daytime dresses and always wear hats for tea and I would have no problem with a blazer at all times during the day. Unless of course any of us were engaging in a bit of sport and then "whites" would be the call of the moment. Now that would be my idea of the perfect cruise line.

I actually prefer summer dresses over slacks and capri's anyway.... they are a lot more comfortable, and slacks tend to wrinkle way too easily when packed.

Sports gear however I prefer to avoid anything white as it tends to easily show how much I've sweat :o

Thank you so much for your correction Salacia. Everyone knows you are always right as usual. :)

Right, thanks. But I was thinking of those folks I met while working in a soup kitchen in mid-town Manhattan years ago. Long story, I won't bore you with it...but may I return the compliment: 'everyone' knows you are even more beautiful than your avatar.:)

'everyone' knows you are even more beautiful than your avatar.:)

And that's a true statement...I know her very well!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

:):)

And that's a true statement...I know her very well!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

sorry, electrical probs. reply unable.

I could be wrong, but I really believe that refinement is anyone or anything that is refined--or improved, like my dog when he gets a haircut. He looks far more refined and he becomes far more elegant and polite as most Standard Poodles act with beautiful new hair dos! cool:

American Heritage Dictionary definition

Refine:- to free from coarse characteristics

Refined:- free from coarseness or vulgarity

Refinement:- (1)an improvement (2) a subtle distinction.

Uh oh! I guess I fail on all three definitions then!

:eek:

J

American Heritage Dictionary definition

Refinement:- (1)an improvement (2) a subtle distinction.

hmmm... I certainly fail on the first two, but think I classify for the third - but I am starting from a VERY low base level :D

hmmm... I certainly fail on the first two, but think I classify for the third - but I am starting from a VERY low base level :D

Gee, I believe I am opposite of you MadScientist. Certainly, I qualify to fit within the first two definitions, but the third I don't believe I need. I mean, how can you improve, even subtly, what is already perfect!:D

[quote name='Jimsgirl']American Heritage Dictionary definition

Refinement:- (1)an improvement (2) a subtle distinction.[/quote]

Hi Jimsgirl. I'm a big fan of dictionaries too :)

Have you found that the what is considered coarse or vulgar, or even what might be considered an improvement, differ in various parts of the world? Concepts vary over time. For example what was considered vulgar on TV 50 years ago is now considered by some critics to be pretty tame. Anyway, for those reasons I think that by extension, the definition of "refinement" is subjective, varies from culture to culture and differ amongst generations, but that's only my opinion of course.

Regards,
Salacia

[quote name='Pennypocket']To take the opposite approach to Cunard. It is my favorite line because of the tradition and the formality. I would prefer all at sea evenings to be totally formal and port days to always require a jacket and tie for the gentlemen and dresses for the ladies. I would go so far as to love it if during the day the ladies would sport about in their daytime dresses and always wear hats for tea and I would have no problem with a blazer at all times during the day. Unless of course any of us were engaging in a bit of sport and then "whites" would be the call of the moment. Now that would be my idea of the perfect cruise line.[/QUOTE]

I agree Cunard is all about the tradition and formality, there are plenty of other cruise lines out there if you don't like the dressing up part of it, to me that is a big part of what going on a Cunard ship is all about.

I also think the tables in the isles - jumble sales- do nothing to enhance the Cunard experience, and we were very surprised when we first saw them :eek:

[quote name='MCC retired']As someone posted , get rid of those "Informal nights".:mad:

Make them either Formal or Smart Casual , that's it.;)[/quote]

I would like to point out that in Cunard we enjoy Elegant Casual nights, not Smart Casual. This means that gentlemen have to wear a jacket (but no tie).

So, frankly, why abolish Informal nights? You dress exactly like in an Elegant Casual night - you only have to put a tie. Which takes almost no place in the suitcase. That's all.

Actually many gentlemen find it enjoyable to wear a tie even in some Elegant Casual nights. It is arguably the ship's ambience that inspires them.

As to ladies, observation shows that they dress approximately the same in both Elegant Casual and Informal nights. Actually, it is one of Cunard surprising delights to see our ladies dressed elegantly in all nights, not only in Informal/Formal ones. Nothing would change for them if informal nights were abolished.

Moreover, experience from other companies has shown that all Informal nights became Casual. None became Formal. Abolition of Informal nights would be just a step to demolition of Cunard's distinct dress code, which adds so much to making a Cunard cruise unique. Let alone that jacket and tie has arguably come to evoke a sense of Britishness, one of Cunard's main characteristics.

So, it would be great if the dress code remains as it is. Informal nights add nicely to this delightful variety that characterizes a Cunard cruise.

[quote name='RobertGraves']I would like to point out that in Cunard we enjoy Elegant Casual nights, not Smart Casual. [/quote]

[rant] You know, I defer to none on this board in my love of Cunard, or at any rate in my love of sailing on their ships. But sometimes I just get this tiny little feeling squirming away, deep in the darkest recesses of the pit of my stomach, that if I ever read the word "elegant" in one more Cunard related statement, particularly if it emanates from their publicity machine, I will scream and scream and scream until I produce a projectile vomit all over my damn keyboard.

Seldom have I ever encountered a word from the English language that has been so systematically overused, misused, and downright absused, to the point where it has been rendered totally and utterly devoid of meaning. Is there any pressing reason why they can't describe the three elements of their damn dress code as Formal, Semi Formal and Informal? or would that really be asking too much? [/rant]

Peace and love

J

PS - Well, the OP [B]did[/B] ask, so this can be taken as a response to the second question.

[quote name='Cruachan'][rant] I just get this tiny little feeling squirming away, deep in the darkest recesses of the pit of my stomach, that if I ever read the word "elegant" in one more Cunard related statement.

...describe the three elements of their damn dress code as Formal, Semi Formal and Informal? or would that really be asking too much? [/rant]

Peace and love

J

PS - Well, the OP [B]did[/B] ask, so this can be taken as a response to the second question.[/quote]

Great point: describe the elements of Cunard dress code as Formal, Semi Formal and Informal. Please add me to those who would like this change to take place.

Informal would be much nicer to describe what Elegant Casual is referring to today. Actually, I was looking at the website of an other cruise company some days ago, and their 'formal' nights required no more than a jacket without tie.:D

As to the use and misuse of the word 'elegant', I think getting stomach pains because of this is one of our little privileges, of those of us who love Cunard. ;) But I can live with that.

Archived