Why do you like Cunard? What could Cunard do better?

Classiccruiser777

[quote name='RobertGraves']It seems some people will try mean things to diminish Cunard. I'm sure many of us have heard 'accusations' of such kind.[/quote]

Indeed! It appears that, in some quarters at least, the philosophy of Lucius Tarquinius Superbus is alive and well and still going strong.

J

[quote name='Cruachan']Indeed! It appears that, in some quarters at least, the philosophy of Lucius Tarquinius Superbus is alive and well and still going strong.

J[/quote]

Well, the best way to get rid of everyday mean 'tyrants' is to have a [I]Lucullian[/I] dinner at Britannia restaurant. ;)

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]These classicists really get on your nerves when they start.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Quousque tandem abutere patientia nostra?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Garius [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='garigoun']

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Quousque tandem abutere patientia nostra?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Garius [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[I]Quamdiu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia?[/I]

[I]J[/I]

[quote name='RobertGraves']Oh my! I always identify Poseidon's/Neptune's wife with her Greek name, Amphitrite.[/QUOTE]

As you should.....we Greeks were first in the whole God-naming business, so it makes sense that you would identify Amphitrite with her proper Greek name. ;)

Of course I do agree though that Salacia is still a great screen name :)

[quote name='garigoun'][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]These classicists really get on your nerves when they start.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Garius [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Why, Garius, do you attack classicists? It's unfair, especially on a cruise forum. So many of us spend our hard earned money on cruising.

So, [I]ma to Dia (by Zeus)[/I], I curse you solemny:

[I]Utinam barbari alum tuum invadant![/I]

(May the barbarians invade your armpits!):D

[quote name='vjmatty']As you should.....we Greeks were first in the whole God-naming business, so it makes sense that you would identify Amphitrite with her proper Greek name. ;)
[/quote]

So, it is true that you can find a Greek everywhere. Even in Adirondack Mountains, even in Cruise Critic, Cunard board (I guess there will be more in Louis board).

'The Greeks had the real inspiration. All the others are more of a technical nature'. (Vangelis Papathanasiou)

PS. When will you stop this infamous 'cabotage'? Why must we have roundtrips from Piraeus only on Holland America? :)

[quote name='RobertGraves']
'The Greeks had the real inspiration. All the others are more of a technical nature'. (Vangelis Papathanasiou)[/quote]

[I]It's all Greek to me[/I]. (Vinny the Pizza guy):)

[quote name='Salacia'][I]It's all Greek to me[/I]. (Vinny the Pizza guy):)[/quote]

A long time has passed since only Greeks participated in the Olympic Games...

Now, every Westerner is really a Greek, because, consciously or not, we are members of the Greek [I]paideia[/I] (education, mentality). ;)

[quote name='RobertGraves']A long time has passed since only Greeks participated in the Olympic Games...

Now, every Westerner is really a Greek, because, consciously or not, we are members of the Greek [I]paideia[/I] (education, mentality). ;)[/quote]

Robert Graves Lives!

[quote name='RobertGraves'][COLOR=red]Why, Garius, do you attack classicists?[/COLOR] It's unfair, especially on a cruise forum. So many of us spend our hard earned money on cruising.

So, [I]ma to Dia (by Zeus)[/I], I curse you solemny:

[I]Utinam barbari alum tuum invadant![/I]

(May the barbarians invade your armpits!):D[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Perhaps because I am one of the Barbarians without the gates.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]"And now what will become of us without the Barbarians?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Those people are a kind of solution".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Gari[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]P.S. No No No Jimmy, restrain yourself please. I am not without gates, I have two very nice ones. So no offers of bargains if you please.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]G.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RobertGraves']So, it is true that you can find a Greek everywhere. Even in Adirondack Mountains, even in Cruise Critic, Cunard board (I guess there will be more in Louis board).

'The Greeks had the real inspiration. All the others are more of a technical nature'. (Vangelis Papathanasiou)

PS. When will you stop this infamous 'cabotage'? Why must we have roundtrips from Piraeus only on Holland America? :)[/QUOTE]

I seem to be the token Greek, both in the Adirondacks as well as on the Cunard board :o. While growing up in the NYC area I was always frustrated as a child, with our different Easter and all of our other traditions ("why do we always HAVE to be Greek?") Now as an adult I actually miss having a Greek community or church close by.

That is one of my father's favorite quotes by the way. He is also one of those proud Greeks who will tell you how this word or that word comes from Greek. I could have sworn when they made that Big Fat Greek Wedding movie that he had been watched and copied :rolleyes:

I didn't know about the cabotage, however I have noticed there are no round trips from Piraeus. I wasn't even aware of the HAL sailing but then I've never sailed HAL so I am not that familiar with their itineraries.

[quote name='RobertGraves']A long time has passed since only Greeks participated in the Olympic Games...[/QUOTE]

Which is a good thing, or they'd be over in less than an hour with the pitiful number of Greeks participating these days. We have become a lazy bunch over the years, sleeping in the afternoons because "it's too hot". Funniest thing I ever saw was in Sparta..... A gas pump was set up on the curb in front of a cafe. The attendant running them sat at a table drinking beer while waiting between customers pulling up to get gas.

[QUOTE] Now, every Westerner is really a Greek, because, consciously or not, we are members of the Greek [I]paideia[/I] (education, mentality). ;)[/QUOTE]

Good point :) If we are ever to meet some day I will treat you to an ouzo.

[quote name='vjmatty']INow as an adult I actually miss having a Greek community or church close by.

.[/quote]

Hi vjmatty. Not nearby you, but...have you been to Sts. Constantine & Helen Cathedral in Brooklyn Heights recently? I understand there are some beautiful icons there and every summer they hold a Grecian Festival (usually in June) that draws quite a crowd.

Anyway, for those interested, the Cathedral is at 64 Schermerhorn Street which is about 15 minute drive from the Red Hook Terminal.

Regards,
Salacia

[quote name='vjmatty']I seem to be the token Greek, both in the Adirondacks as well as on the Cunard board :o. While growing up in the NYC area I was always frustrated as a child, with our different Easter and all of our other traditions ("why do we always HAVE to be Greek?") Now as an adult I actually miss having a Greek community or church close by.

That is one of my father's favorite quotes by the way. He is also one of those proud Greeks who will tell you how this word or that word comes from Greek. I could have sworn when they made that Big Fat Greek Wedding movie that he had been watched and copied :rolleyes:

I didn't know about the cabotage, however I have noticed there are no round trips from Piraeus. I wasn't even aware of the HAL sailing but then I've never sailed HAL so I am not that familiar with their itineraries.[/QUOTE]
Always loved the Greek Easter eggs. That color was really a standout.

[quote name='Salacia']Hi vjmatty. Not nearby you, but...have you been to Sts. Constantine & Helen Cathedral in Brooklyn Heights recently? I understand there are some beautiful icons there and every summer they hold a Grecian Festival (usually in June) that draws quite a crowd.

Anyway, for those interested, the Cathedral is at 64 Schermerhorn Street which is about 15 minute drive from the Red Hook Terminal.

Regards,
Salacia[/quote]

I haven't been there but my mother grew up in Bay Ridge after moving to the US post WWII so I am sure she knows it well.

Ah, the festivals..... another thing I miss. Every so often we happen to be visiting somewhere that has one going on during that particular weekend, but it has been a few years since we've had that opportunity. As a kid I had soda duty at our local church's festival when I wasn't dancing.

[quote name='garigoun'][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Perhaps because I am one of the Barbarians without the gates.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]"And now what will become of us without the Barbarians?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Those people are a kind of solution".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=black].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Cavafy speaks about Barbarians. If Barbarians speak about Cavafy (I know many of them, who ' now wear masks and live among us' :D), then the work of classicists was successful. ;)

Speaking of Cavafy, I think these verses from his [I]Ithaca[/I] evoke familiar pictures to every cruiselover. He wishes us

Many the summer mornings to be when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbours you're seeing for the first time;
stop at Phoenician markets,
and purchase fine merchandise,
mother-of-pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
and exquisite perfumes of all sorts,
the most delicate fragances you can find.
And may you visit many Egyptian cities
to gather stores of knowledge from their scholars.

[quote name='vjmatty']Good point :) If we are ever to meet some day I will treat you to an ouzo.[/quote]

Thank you so much, Ginny! We could ideally meet aboard a Cunard liner, but we must bring the ouzo from home. I can also find good Greek [I]raki, tsipouro[/I] or [I]tsikoudia[/I] ('Greeks are everywhere':)), and we shall have a great time.

Archived