Letter from Carnival Victory Captain confirming shooting death of passenger

paulandfran

S

But will I stay away from some place I love because of crime? Nope. I might as well just stay safely locked up in my house and never go anywhere.

A an acquaintance went to the grocery store and came back to find a private plane had crashed onto her house. So even staying safely locked up in our homes could be considered hazardous to our health.:D

You make some good points.:)

A an acquaintance went to the grocery store and came back to find a private plane had crashed onto her house. So even staying safely locked up in our homes could be considered hazardous to our health.:D

You make some good points.:)

Oh My God :eek: I would have never thought of that:o Even at my own house too:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

The question: will THIS incident stop me from going to St. Thomas?

Answer: No, because we've disliked St. Thomas since our first visit anyway, and the cruiselines will continue to go since most of their passengers want the "cheap" booze and shopping, and the cruiselines get commissions from the shops. Charlotte Amalie is a crowded mess of traffic jams, ugly stores, and too many people (our nickname for it is "the armpit of the Caribbean"). We did have an excursion for Coral World and Megan's Bay during our last trip, and enjoyed both (and yes, if someone offered us a trip to go back to Coral World and Megan's Bay again, we'd think about it, as we felt rushed-- we had only 2 hours for each). However, if we must cruise into St. Thomas again (and do you really think a cruise line will pass it up permanently? Money talks!), we'll stay on the ship and enjoy a quiet day.

...............However, if we must cruise into St. Thomas again (and do you really think a cruise line will pass it up permanently? Money talks!), we'll stay on the ship and enjoy a quiet day.

My attitude too. Been there a couple of times too many. One old couple on our ship got pushed to the ground and robbed.

Maybe cruise lines should threaten local gov't that if they don't do anything about crime and protecting their citizens and visitors, then the ship sails on to somewhere else more friendly.

It is good to hear that Captain Messina has said that Carnival is suspending Coki Beach on their tours. The unfortunate thing is this can happen there, another island, Europe or to me walking down the street here in Tampa....

I was on the next cruise and we visited Coki beach. The info we got this accident was just a result of circumstances. Being at the wrong place at the wrong moment. It is a very sad thing but it can happen anywhere whether you are on a Carnival arranged excursion or not.

I just read that Carnival will pay for all funeral costs & will reimburse their cruise costs.

They weren't responsible, but it says a lot about the company that they're willing to do this.

Hats off to Carnival.

What that says is Carnival is trying to diffuse any legal action which will go public fast. Be nice now to avoid a lawsuit later.

What that says is Carnival is trying to diffuse any legal action which will go public fast. Be nice now to avoid a lawsuit later.

Dear, Carnival didn't send those people off on their excursion, nor were they involved in the shooting; therefore they have no liability.

We all need to be aware that these types of things happen everywhere. It's a horrible, horrible thing, but the only one responsible is the one pulling the trigger.

nrdsb4,

This is not entirely true. Carnival is presently monopolizing several tours in PV. Don't take my word for it. If you call or email these individual excursion businesses, and tell them that you are a carnival passenger, they will flat out tell you that you CANNOT book through them for certain tours, and that you must book these tours through carnival. The six different companies that I have tried to book an excursion with all told me the same thing.

correct..so many well intentioned posters here don't realize just how aggressive this business is and what lengths cruise lines go to.

Dear, Carnival didn't send those people off on their excursion, nor were they involved in the shooting; therefore they have no liability.

We all need to be aware that these types of things happen everywhere. It's a horrible, horrible thing, but the only one responsible is the one pulling the trigger.

Dear, The details of the excursion business are involved and many times are murky. Read the above post for a little insight.

I wonder how the family is doing. It's coming up on a month since that young girl was killed. Such a tragedy. A nightmare they won't wake up from. :(

I can not even imagine having to go through this. It's a parent's biggest fear, something happening to their child.

Oh My God :eek: I would have never thought of that:o Even at my own house too:mad:

Yeah, it happens. There's no such thing as a place where you are guaranteed to be completely safe.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/07/plane-hits-house-in-pennsylvania/?hpt=T2

I just read that Carnival will pay for all funeral costs & will reimburse their cruise costs.

They weren't responsible, but it says a lot about the company that they're willing to do this.

Hats off to Carnival.

Unless you name a source this is hearsay and not a fact.

Carnival is being very generous in refunding the families fare, and paying for the funeral. I don't think it is right or wrong that they are doing it, but nice. Really, Carnival owes the family nothing, but is still stepping forward and trying to comfort the family.....which is wonderful:)

Last but not least.....this shooting does not make me fearful of St. Thomas....but the locals do. They have a serious problem. I won't add to the problem by being another number on the island, or spending money there that gives them the impression that sweeping it under the rug is OK. When the locals are saying stay away, I am going to listen.

Not sure where you got your information but the Government of the USVI actually was the one that chartered a private plane to fly the body and family back to PR and paid for all expenses involved with the funeral.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3985

Carnival's CareTeam staff are supporting the family and other guests. Arrangements have been made by the St. Thomas Ministry of Tourism to fly the family home to Puerto Rico.

Additionally, many are stating that there have been 44 murders in St Thomas this year. Actually, around the time of this incident, there have been 27 murders in St. Thomas. The 44 murders are for all of the islands in the USVI.

We were at St. Thomas a few days after this tragic incident. This could occur at any other location. Would we go back to St. Thomas, yes without hesitation.

Unfortunately, many tourist visit Coki beach knowing that they can purchase illegal drugs and not get arrested. The sad part is that it took an incident like this once for the USVI government to finally clean up the area.

http://www.governordejongh.com/blog/2010/07/governor-public-safety-officials-outline-coki-point-cleanup.html

Tourism and Police Officials Update Cruise Line Partners Following Tragic Incident at Coki Point

Posted by Jean Greaux on July 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM AST

Last Friday, Commissioner of Tourism Beverly Nicholson- Doty and Police Commissioner Novelle Francis met with the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association Operations Committee in Miami to discuss in detail the territory’s response to the tragic incident that took place at Coki Point on July 12, 2010 and the proactive measures currently underway to address concerns about the safety of our guests and residents alike.

These discussions were positive, and the territory’s cruise partners expressed appreciation for the detailed and candid dialogue. Specifically, the delegation received the following feedback from members of the FCCA Operations Committee:

• Territory’s response to the situation was quick and effective
  • The safety & security initiatives by VIPD were tactical and deliberate
  • The visitor care program was well executed
  • The availability of government officials directly involved was helpful

As a result of the meetings, the de Jongh administration has committed to provide weekly updates to FCCA over the next 30 days that communicate the following measures designed to ensure dialogue with cruise partners and minimize the risk for future incidents:

• Timeline for implementing the components of the VIPD Action Plan
  • Risk Assessment to visitors (based on tour routes)
  • Acceleration plan for the cleanup of Coki Point
  • Advance notification of future incidents which may pose a risk for visitors - based on tours our tour routes
  • Plans for ongoing communications response

The government is optimistic that these measures will effectively address the concerns expressed by the territory’s cruise partners and ensure an ongoing dialogue on this most critical issue.

Furthermore, the government recognizes the important role that the local community has played following the incident at Coki Point on July 12 and calls upon the community for continued support and to remain vigilant in order to ensure a heightened level of safety for our islands.

Update from Police Commissioner Novelle Francis

On Friday, the Virgin Islands Police Department announced a detailed plan for additional security measures to enhance the safety of the Territory for tourists.

In response to the tragic incident at Coki Point on July 12, the VIPD has quickly augmented its efforts to increase police officer presence on the streets and patrol specific areas visited most often by tourists, including but not limited to cruise ports, beaches, historical attractions, hotels and popular sightseeing areas.

The additional security measures include:

• Visible foot patrols of town, hotels and other areas frequented by visitors
  • Increased mobile patrols of other areas with high visitor traffic
  • Monitor, maintain and upgrade security surveillance apparatus; surveillance cameras in towns with 24 hour monitoring
  • Intelligence gathering prior to and during visits of the areas frequented by visitors
  • Careful monitoring of the movement of visitors
  • Increased high intensity patrols of popular attractions throughout the Territory

Update from Commissioner of Tourism Beverly Nicholson-Doty

The Department of Tourism remains deeply saddened by the tragic incident that took place at Coki Point on July 12 and we continue to extend our deepest sympathies to the Perez family.

This was an isolated incident and thanks to the swift action of the Virgin Islands Police Department the suspect has been apprehended. We reconfirm that the U.S. Virgin Islands remains a safe destination for visitors and instances of crime against visitors are rare.

Upon notification of the incident from the Virgin Islands Police Department, the Department of Tourism immediately responded to the needs of the victim’s family and members of the DOT team remain in contact with the family.

Over the last week, the DOT has activated its emergency response protocol which has included the following measures to respond to concerns and clarify the facts of the incident for the media and visitors:

1. Crisis Communications

• Dedicated Media Monitoring & Reporting
  • News Update Web Site – www.usviupdate.com
  • Official Tourism Statements
  • Social Media Updates – Twitter & Facebook
  • Proactive Media Relations & Interviews as warranted

2. Industry Partner Communication

• Dialogue with key cruise, airline and tour operator partners

3. Customer Care Program (Visitor Communication)

• Greeters Program -- A component of the DOT’s overall strategy provides for tourism representatives to be available to visitors at the airports and cruise facilities to answer questions
  • Crisis Response Team – Members of the Department of Tourism team are trained in crisis response to provide assistance as needed
  • While the Department of Tourism remains deeply saddened by the incident at Coki Point, and continues to provide assistance to the family of the victim, the DOT is also aware of the need to address visitor concerns and re-establish the destination in the minds of potential visitors.
  • The next 30-45 days will be critical to address concerns affecting future visitors to territory.

To accomplish this, the DOT marketing team will develop and launch a $1.2 million marketing and advertising campaign to showcase the positive attributes and appeal of the destination. Activities will focus on national media and key geographic markets to entice potential visitors to the Territory, including the following elements:

• Cruise Publications
  • TV/Radio
  • Newspaper/Print
  • Proactive Public Relations
  • Travel Writer Hospitality

Additional details about this campaign will be shared in the coming weeks.

http://www.governordejongh.com/blog/index.html

I was on the Victory at the time of the shooting and my family also owns a condo on St. Thomas (on the east end). After the cruise, we flew over to St. Thomas for an additional 2 week vacation. We asked some of our local friends on what happened and here is what we found out: The shooting occurred at a funeral which was taking place at the cemetery right by Coki Beach. It happened out of the blue, and the cross fire by Coki Beach unfortunately hit that poor girl. After this happened, Coki Beach/Coral has been closed because the government is trying to clean up the area.

I have been going down to St. Thomas my entire life (22 years and counting) and I have always loved Coki Beach. Yes, the area can be rough at times, especially at night, but during the day I have encountered some of the nicest locals at this beach. I feel very safe on the East End of the island (Red Hook area) where my family's condo is located. However, like any place, I do take caution at night. You use common sense! I will not walk in Charlotte Amaile at night by myself...only in well lit areas. I do not think that this one incident should stop people in coming to the island. The island has so much to offer! Another thing that my family found out from the locals (and I am not trying to be racist here) is that the Haitians that are coming from Haiti that are now residing on the island are causing a bulk of the new crime. I do not know how much of that is true, but that is what we heard asking a lot of people.

I was on the Victory at the time of the shooting and my family also owns a condo on St. Thomas (on the east end). After the cruise, we flew over to St. Thomas for an additional 2 week vacation. We asked some of our local friends on what happened and here is what we found out: The shooting occurred at a funeral which was taking place at the cemetery right by Coki Beach. It happened out of the blue, and the cross fire by Coki Beach unfortunately hit that poor girl. After this happened, Coki Beach/Coral has been closed because the government is trying to clean up the area.

I have been going down to St. Thomas my entire life (22 years and counting) and I have always loved Coki Beach. Yes, the area can be rough at times, especially at night, but during the day I have encountered some of the nicest locals at this beach. I feel very safe on the East End of the island (Red Hook area) where my family's condo is located. However, like any place, I do take caution at night. You use common sense! I will not walk in Charlotte Amaile at night by myself...only in well lit areas. I do not think that this one incident should stop people in coming to the island. The island has so much to offer! Another thing that my family found out from the locals (and I am not trying to be racist here) is that the Haitians that are coming from Haiti that are now residing on the island are causing a bulk of the new crime. I do not know how much of that is true, but that is what we heard asking a lot of people.

I used to go to Coki Beach as well because of its proximity to our condo but even during the daytime the area surrounding it was pretty seedy. Open drug use and unfriendly stares made us feel unwelcome until we got to the actual beach. Once on the beach I agree I always felt safe and the locals there were warm and friendly.

When I first visited St. Thomas in the mid-80's, I truly felt like I was in Paradise!! Magen's Bay was the most beautiful beach I'd ever seen....very clean, friendly, and the shops and snack bars were great! By the late 90's, after years of cruising there, the whole place was going downhill, IMO. By the early 2000s, PUSHY vendors, waiting forever (in awful heat) for an open air taxi to fill up so we could (finally) leave, so crowded that you could hardly walk down the sidewalks, and open drug use in broad daylight (Coki Beach). Magen's Bay was dirty, there were flies and bees all over the snack bars, the employees were completely bored and unfriendly, and the public bathroom/showers were filthy! St. Thomas USED to be one of my favorite cruise stops! But, on my last two cruises, I stayed on the ship. Doubt that i will visit there again. It's really sad, as this is a US territory. Shame.

• 2 months later...
How horrifying. Do a lot of people choose non-Carnival type excursions? So sad. I can't imagine going on a cruise with my family and coming back with one less person.

Yes, alot of people go off to the beaches on their own and I am one of them. Just because you are on a Carnival sponsered excursion, it doesn't mean you are totally safe. You can in fact be a victim of crime in the city where you live.

Archived