How do I sign up for the Behind the Scenes Tour

luv2scrapdeb

I see it described on the Princess website but don't see how to sign up. I assume it might fill up quickly.

I assume your talking about the Ultimate Ship tour which runs $150.

You sign up at the passenger service desk. Exactly how it works varies by ship - but most of the time it seems to be first come first server even if they say there will be a lottery.

On longer cruises they may offer more then one tour, it's not often advertised until a few days in.

The tour is indeed $150 per person. However, at the end, several 'gifts' are delivered from the departments you visited (we received a Spa robe (sells for $90), 4 photos from the tour in a book, another photo book, chef's jackets, stationary and flowers - each). So you do get value for the money. I suspect the price is more to keep demand down (limit of 12 per tour).

Didn't see where it cost $150. Guess I probably won't do it since my daughter would want to go with either her dad or I and I'm not paying $300 for it. Thanks.

We did this last December on the Sapphire, but just for my husband. It was beyond worth the $150 and as noted he did get a robe, chef's jacket etc. He still talks about it! I signed him up on the second day and he was able to get in. Our tablemate did not sign up until later in the cruise and he also got on the tour.

There should also be a Galley Tour offered that you might like, which is free; it'll be listed in the Princess Patter for a sea day. Plus, there's a free ship's tour the first day after boarding although they don't take you behind the scenes.

IMHO, the Ultimate Ship's Tour is expensive, but worth every single penny. Fabulous.

I surprised my husband with Ultimate Ship Tour and we both loved it!!! We enjoyed seeing the "inner workings" of the ship and behind the scenes in so many areas. Even the laundry room was interesting - and yes - the bedspreads are washed after every cruise:D

I would recommend this tour - Expensive but worth it!!!

In late May, I was one of the first that signed up for the UST. Others I talked to were in the top 10 as well. None of us got picked. It is a lottery!

I ran to the desk (on advice from CC) after boarding early, and did everything possible to get picked. Because they advertise all week in the Patter and hype it up, they get a lot of people to sign up. I checked the list a couple times and I was still almost at the top and did not get picked.

just a thought - does selection have anything to do with what cabin you have?

I wouldn't think so. Although we were in a full suite (for the first and unfortunately, probably the last time), our tablemate who got chosen was in a balcony cabin. Be it lottery or first come first serve, I don't think your cabin grade factors in.

Kathy

The Ultimate Ship Tour is wonderful - very, very interesting. Loved getting a chance to sit and chat with the Captain one on one at the end of the tour (maybe I should say 12 on 1). The gifts were great, but the robe and chef's jacket sure take up a lot of room and weight in the suitcases coming home. I would really consider doing it again - especially on a different size/type of ship. We ran (almost) to the Passenger Service Desk when we boarded and were the 2nd group (there were 3 of us) to sign up. A few days later we received a notice in our cabin that we were selected to participate. It was a 14 day cruise and apparently they had a number of people interested, because I believe they did at least 2 more tours after ours. I started seeing the notices in the Patter about 4 or 5 days into the cruise.

*sigh* I went right to the purser's desk after we went to our room to sign up. They didn't even have a sheet ready yet so DH and I were the first ones. It was advertised a couple days later. A few days later I got a call from the desk saying the UST was cancelled due to lack of interest. That disappointed me for a little bit because I had so been looking forward to it and had even packed a folding duffle to accomodate the extra goodies.

No Galley tour was offered, either.

In fact, even though I had arranged a M&G thru Princess, THAT didn't happen either. At least not an official one. I suppose that just happens on some cruises.

This was the Grand Med. Medley 6/19 - 7/3.

However, from everything I've read it really is worth the $150. :)

Susan

On the Sapphire in early June I went to the Purser's Desk to sign up for the Ultimate Ship Tour IMMEDIATELY upon boarding. It was cancelled due to lack of interest. I never saw it promoted in the Patter. Disappointed!

*sigh*

In fact, even though I had arranged a M&G thru Princess, THAT didn't happen either. At least not an official one. I suppose that just happens on some cruises.

Susan

We have just finished Alaska return from San Francisco on Sea Princess - fantastic.

I did the UST and thought was worth every penny.

I also arranged the Meet and Greet on board and invited the Captain and senior crew members. 6 of the crew members called in to say "hi" and the Captain came and spent 45 minutes with us!! A great M&G.

Thanks Princess.

Kiwipete

Archived