Luggage tag ?? again

Sea and Me

I second the packing tape. They were indestructable!!!

Ditto! Fold, cover with packing tape, use a hole punch & a zip tie and you practically have to use bolt cutters to get them off! No need to make a craft project out of it.

We put them on before we leave home so if a piece of the luggage is lost or delayed during flight, the suitcase will be sent to the SHIP - not to our homes! We kinda need our clothes on the cruise.....

If you are carrying on all your luggage (wish I could learn to do that!) you can always pick up the luggage tags at the pier.

Largin, I love the idea of these clear luggage tags and worm holders, think I might order 6 of them to use with my self-printed tags. Two questions, are they the correct size for the Princess tags and are they durable enough to be used over and over? Sissy

They are very durable.. If you cut the Princess logo from the top of the tag and "staple here" portion from the bottom it fits perfectly. You will end up with a tag measuring 2 5/8 x 3 7/8. I put a bit of scotch tape on the holder to keep the Princess tag from falling out.

After printing luggage tags do you leave them as the Princess website states (folded and ready to go) Or do you laminate them?? Just wondering:D

I'd laminate them to decrease the likelihood they will tear off during transit.....:eek::eek::eek:

Bob

Life's too short to complain about such a small thing. Print the tag, cover

with packing tape then tape the ends together when you put them on your bags. They will be stronger and better than the ones Princess used to mail you. You'll have to cut them to get them off the bags.

What's the big deal about printing labels? Much easier than filling out the old tags, making sure it was legible enough to be easily read and then trying to get it on the bag right with that awful sticky stuff. With these tags, all the information is neatly printed. We already have printer paper in the house (in fact I use cardstock, which I also have a bunch of). We already have a stapler. We already have packing tape for mailing packages. So, we don't have to buy anything extra to print and reinforce them so they won't come off the bags and the ink won't run (packing tape all over the whole thing). It only takes a couple minutes to print and prepare, and it saves Princess a bunch of printing and mailing costs, which ultimately would be passed on to us as even higher fares.

Think Caber has the right idea. Everybody should complain :mad:on the questionnaire and perhaps Princess may take notice.

I really don't see what the problem is? In earlier years, people panicked if tickets and labels were not sent at least three weeks before the cruise. and now we have moans about being able to print them ourselves. Unbelievable! Why don't you just print them out on to card and then cut them to size, make a hole and then use packing tape. Simples!

IMHO, there are lots of little things that are worth complaining about, but printing your own luggage tags is so minor, it isn't even worth the effort. In these times of printing off your own documents, it was destined to come where many cruise lines have you print off everything to save on mailing it all out. Just look back on all of the complaints from those that had luggage tags lost in the mail and they had fits about it (even though they could still be supplied luggage tags when reaching the embarkation port).

But if it makes you feel any better about it, go down to the purser's desk, grab a comment card (as they are no longer delivered to your stateroom that last night but are now sent via email and waiting for you when you return home). The ones through email also have no space for gripes and little knit picky complaints. Take the time to fill them out onboard and drop them into the box provided. That might make those that are unhappy about no more luggage tags mailed out at least feel like they have voiced their opinion (but don't hold your breathe that they will begin mailing them again). ;)

I agree printing boarding passes are not a big deal. But imho luggage tags are different. You just put the pass in your pocket. As shown on all the posts regarding it, the luggage tags are a pain. They have to be laminated, punched, stapled, taped, etc. So I dont think its such a "little" thing.

I agree printing boarding passes are not a big deal. But imho luggage tags are different. You just put the pass in your pocket. As shown on all the posts regarding it, the luggage tags are a pain. They have to be laminated, punched, stapled, taped, etc. So I dont think its such a "little" thing.

I just don't see it as being the least bit a pain. I print them off, throw a couple of pieces of packaging tape on them and punch a hole. Throw in a cable tie (or you could use string if you don't have cable ties) and they're done. It takes me less than two minutes to do all of our luggage tags for the trip and every bit of the materials needed are sitting in my house already. I probably spent more time reading your comment and typing this response than it takes me to do all of our luggage tags. The most expensive part of the whole process is probably the printer ink.

Ditto! Fold, cover with packing tape, use a hole punch & a zip tie and you practically have to use bolt cutters to get them off! No need to make a craft project out of it.

We put them on before we leave home so if a piece of the luggage is lost or delayed during flight, the suitcase will be sent to the SHIP - not to our homes! We kinda need our clothes on the cruise.....

If you are carrying on all your luggage (wish I could learn to do that!) you can always pick up the luggage tags at the pier.

We always check bags and always have a port baggage handler do our luggage - we just make sure it's done before we head to boarding. These guys know what they are doing and will be fine putting tags on your luggage

We always check bags and always have a port baggage handler do our luggage - we just make sure it's done before we head to boarding. These guys know what they are doing and will be fine putting tags on your luggage

Okay - that makes sense if you are not flying. We have to fly to most of our ports rather than drive, so we make sure our ship's luggage tags are on our bags before they are loaded on the airplane.

We had our luggage "lost" or delayed - whichever you prefer - on our first Alaskan cruise. Our luggage made it to the port the day of sailing because we had the Sapphire Princess luggage tags on the suitcases and they knew where to deliver them. The airport guy who brought them said that had the ship's tags NOT been there, they would have been returned to our home airport for pickup. How would the Anchorage airport have known where to find us otherwise? We had originally landed in Fairbanks, and had completed our 3-day precruise there.

I wish we could always drive to our port of embarkation, but the only ships that cruise out of New Orleans or Galveston are Carnival and NCL. We don't cruise on those lines.

Okay - that makes sense if you are not flying. We have to fly to most of our ports rather than drive, so we make sure our ship's luggage tags are on our bags before they are loaded on the airplane.

We had our luggage "lost" or delayed - whichever you prefer - on our first Alaskan cruise. Our luggage made it to the port the day of sailing because we had the Sapphire Princess luggage tags on the suitcases and they knew where to deliver them. The airport guy who brought them said that had the ship's tags NOT been there, they would have been returned to our home airport for pickup. How would the Anchorage airport have known where to find us otherwise? We had originally landed in Fairbanks, and had completed our 3-day precruise there.

I wish we could always drive to our port of embarkation, but the only ships that cruise out of New Orleans or Galveston are Carnival and NCL. We don't cruise on those lines.

You have a good point there.....I actually have some of those name tag/luggage tag holders with the loops...maybe I will use them this time - hmmmm....maybe if I mail them to myself I'll remember???? :)

this may be a dumb question but do the tags have to be printed on a color printer? I only have black and white laser printers at home and work. On the Princess web site, they are shown in color.

this may be a dumb question but do the tags have to be printed on a color printer? I only have black and white laser printers at home and work. On the Princess web site, they are shown in color.

They can be printed in color or black-and-white, either will work just fine.

We too are annoyed that you have to print everything out yourselves.

You pay a lot of money for the cruise and at one time would have got a nice wallet with tickets etc in

Now you have to do it all yourself.

I think it really cheapens the cruise experience.

I havent tried my labels yet - But I may laminate them and take plenty of spares

I see that it said about staples - who takes a stapler on holiday with them?

Tina

I always travel with my trusty Swingline Tot 50. ;)

71426_150x150.jpg

Since I'm pretty OCD about this luggage tag thing myself, I'm using a tried and true method: laminated teslin "paper." This is the same method used by companies to make id badges for employees etc. Once printed your ink (inkjet or laser) is indelible, and the laminate (regular laminate sheets from any office supply store will do) actually bonds to the synthetic teslin "paper." So you can print them, laminate, and chop down to size without worrying about leaving a margin on the laminate that could come apart. The teslin is available here: http://brainstormidsupply.com/teslin-synthetic-paper. Bring with in your carry-on, then before embarkation either staple or use the hole punch & zip tie that others have mentioned on this thread.

I used this technique (with a thicker laminate) to make name badges for the 80 kids we took to 4-H camp this summer, and not one was destroyed the whole week. And I'm pretty sure there's only one thing more destructive to tags than a baggage handler: a nine-year-old kid that wants to swim with his name badge on and chew on it when he's bored :D

If you order the cheapest paper by the sheet and use generic laminating pouches, it only costs about a dollar per tag.

I'm reading a few posts that say put on after leaving home! Isn't it the rule of thumb that you put the luggage tags on before leaving home?? If (by chance!!) the airline would happen to "misplace":D your luggage seeing that the tags are on wouldn't they know that the luggage should be going on a cruise??? That is what I was told!! Actually it saves time instead of doing it at the airport.

Also thanks to all of you that have posted your comments:)

My next cruise, I will be flying from Florida to Sydney, AUS, and I will be putting well reinforced cruise tags on my checked bags, in addition to my normal lugguge tags, in case my bags are "delayed" by the airlines involved. I can't imagine arriving in AUS, but not getting my luggage.

Additionally, I print up an itinerary, and place a copy in the outside pocket of each bag. My own luggage tags have my last name and cell number, and also say "Itinerary in outside pocket". The itinerary includes flight info, hotel and ship info for the entire trip. I feel that should the dreaded "delay" occur, my bags would have a chance of catching up with me at some point.

My next cruise, I will be flying from Florida to Sydney, AUS, and I will be putting well reinforced cruise tags on my checked bags, in addition to my normal lugguge tags, in case my bags are "delayed" by the airlines involved. I can't imagine arriving in AUS, but not getting my luggage.

Additionally, I print up an itinerary, and place a copy in the outside pocket of each bag. My own luggage tags have my last name and cell number, and also say "Itinerary in outside pocket". The itinerary includes flight info, hotel and ship info for the entire trip. I feel that should the dreaded "delay" occur, my bags would have a chance of catching up with me at some point.

Boy, does that sound familiar, it's about the same way I tag our luggage. Even the trip sounds familiar, we'll be arriving in Sydney on the 10th and on the Diamond on the 15th. After quite a bit of travelling over the years I've been lucky to only have one missing bag incident and it was on arriving home. Two days later they delivered my bag to the house.

Archived