Hotel Inglaterra - Barcelona

stayed in both hotels

both are 3 stars(Jazz is more like a 4)

Jazz has a small pool in the roof(nice place to be when is hot),modern design,some noise in lower levels,difficult to book in the summer

Inglaterra is less expensive than the Jazz,smaller.lower levels are a bit noisy.

You cannot go wrong with any one

If i had to choose for the same price....Jazz

Sotty i can ´t remenber the price,let me guess a number...100€ a night

I too am trying to decide between the two hotels. The Inglaterra is significantly less expensive for the time I am looking at (Nov. 4-6) and the rate includes breakfast. I understand that the rooms are smaller.

What really puzzles me is that I have seen people get the Jazz this past May for 120 Euros / nite and others that have bookings for Oct this year for 109 Euros / nite. I was initially quoted 216 Euro for Sept 2011 which is way out of whack with these other rates. Others have booked and cancelled the Jazz a few times until they got a price they were satisfied with.

The Inglaterra allows you to cancel up to 24 hrs prior to stay with no cancellation fee except for certain dates which I can not get for 2011 at this time.

I too am trying to decide between the two hotels. The Inglaterra is significantly less expensive for the time I am looking at (Nov. 4-6) and the rate includes breakfast. I understand that the rooms are smaller.

We are staying at the Hotel Inglaterra in a few weeks. For a triple it is 149 euros. We don't plan on spending much time in the rooms so if they are on the small side, that is not a problem. I will post our impressions on our return in mid-August.

Kirk

Kirk:

I will look forward to your remarks regarding this hotel upon your return. Let us know how good / bad the buffet breakfast is.

I agree with you as far as not spending much time in the room. I just need a clean room with a place to put my head down at night.

Enjoy your vacation.

Dave

We are staying at the Hotel Inglaterra in a few weeks. For a triple it is 149 euros. We don't plan on spending much time in the rooms so if they are on the small side, that is not a problem. I will post our impressions on our return in mid-August.

Kirk

Stayed at the Inglaterra last September following our cruise on the Century and LOVED it!!! Great location, clean and well maintained modern rooms, & delicious hot and cold breakfast buffet included in the price. If you have the means, upgrade to a Superior Room. Larger with a small balcony. We were on the 2nd floor on the front side of the hotel facing the main street and heard no noise whatsoever. Triple glazed windows keep out all the noise. Convenient to HOHO Bus, Playa Catalunya, and Ramblas. this is our new Barcelona "home"!!!

I stayed in the Jazz last Oct and highly recommend it. I payed a little over 90 euro and booked about 4 months in advance. I suggest you keep trying their site as the rate does move around. As to location, no difference, Inglaterra is almost across the street. but I'd go for the cheaper if it's over 20 eruro, probably can't go wrong with either. BTW my quick check had the Jazz at 119 euro per night. Happy cruising.

• 4 weeks later...
Kirk:

I will look forward to your remarks regarding this hotel upon your return. Let us know how good / bad the buffet breakfast is.

I agree with you as far as not spending much time in the room. I just need a clean room with a place to put my head down at night.

Enjoy your vacation.

Dave

Well here we are back so I wanted to update this thread. The hotel was great. The rooms were actually pretty nice especially the bathrooms. No noise problems at all. I was surprised when we showed up at 9:30 that our rooms was already ready. They also have a locked room if you need to store luggage either due to early arrival or the day you depart.

We did not do the breakfast, it was 11 euros/pp. There is a little restaurant across the side street next door that served great little breakfast sandwiches for 3-4 euros. Also right down that same side street maybe half a block is a little grocery store with food and drink supplies.

We really enjoyed Barcelona and would recommend the Hotel Inglaterra!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk for the feedback. What price did you pay ? and how big were the rooms ? A previous poster mentioned upgrading to a Superior room with a balcony, did you have this ? if not, do you feel it would have been nice to have.

Glad to hear you had a great time...... Dave

Well here we are back so I wanted to update this thread. The hotel was great. The rooms were actually pretty nice especially the bathrooms. No noise problems at all. I was surprised when we showed up at 9:30 that our rooms was already ready. They also have a locked room if you need to store luggage either due to early arrival or the day you depart.

We did not do the breakfast, it was 11 euros/pp. There is a little restaurant across the side street next door that served great little breakfast sandwiches for 3-4 euros. Also right down that same side street maybe half a block is a little grocery store with food and drink supplies.

We really enjoyed Barcelona and would recommend the Hotel Inglaterra!

Kirk

Thanks Kirk for the feedback. What price did you pay ? and how big were the rooms ? A previous poster mentioned upgrading to a Superior room with a balcony, did you have this ? if not, do you feel it would have been nice to have.

Glad to hear you had a great time...... Dave

We needed a triple room so we paid more than you would for a double. Our rate was 179 euros for a Saturday night stay. A Friday night would have been 149 euros, again for a triple. We did not have a balcony, we had a large double window that opened but you could not step out. We were on the back side of the hotel. Personally a balcony would not really have mattered to us, we were only in the room one night. The room was not overly large but it was fine size wise. Having heard a lot about European hotels I expected something like a cruise ship cabin but it was bigger than that. As I said earlier, the bathroom was bigger than I expected. The hotel is not any thing overly fancy but it was great for our needs which were a place to drop off luggage and sleep with minimal noise.

I should mention that the hotel has a terrace on the roof where I think you can have a cocktail, we never went to it. We were jet lagged and trying to see as much as we could in our short stay.

Kirk

• 3 months later...

For my 3 nights of Sept 10-12, 2011 on Expedia I can not get the Jazz and for the Inglaterra it is $112.85 Cdn for a std room avg per nite or $143.38 avg per nite for a superior room. I am staying Sat to Tues.

Is the superior room worth the difference ?

Expedia has the Jazz @ 192 vs. $112 for the Inglaterra.

Expedia also told me about the superior room for the same price as you mentioned. My feeling is that I will not be spending much time in the room. Since we are going in Oct I would be interested in you posting the information and let me know about the rooms. Thank you. Stan

• 3 weeks later...
Expedia also told me about the superior room for the same price as you mentioned. My feeling is that I will not be spending much time in the room. Since we are going in Oct I would be interested in you posting the information and let me know about the rooms. Thank you. Stan

We were in Barcelona the end of this past May and stayed in Jazz (loved it). But, if you are like us, we weren't in our room much anyway. As long as any hotel I stay is clean and not in dire need of updates it should be fine. We'd sleep later in the morning, head over to Starbucks for a coffee/danish and head out for our day of sightseeing. We'd come back to shower and change for dinner and off again. By the time we got back to the hotel in the evening, we'd check Facebook, send emails, etc and was why Jazz being right on the Metro never affected us. We were in our room very little except to sleep and the Metro eventually closed down for evening. So, if the reviews for Inglaterra are fine, you should have nothing to worry about. It was across from the Starbucks we ate breakfast and also away from the noise. You'll have a great time, we did!

I am looking for a hotel to stay at before the cruise, are either of these close to the cruise terminal? If not, does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel by the terminal? Thanks!

I'm guessing you are referring to Jazz or Inglattera. These two hotels are closer to the hub of things (restaurants and a lot of things to see and do). Quick walk to Rambla but far enough away to avoid the crowds/noise at night. Both are near the Metro, in a safe area and there are many other great hotels all nearby. They are a quick cab ride down to the port (about 20 minutes if I remember correctly). Cost was only about $25 euro for two of us with a total of 3 luggage pieces). Barcelona is one of those places I'd not want to be near the port - its away from things and I think even the closest hotel will require a cab ride.

I'm guessing you are referring to Jazz or Inglattera. These two hotels are closer to the hub of things (restaurants and a lot of things to see and do). Quick walk to Rambla but far enough away to avoid the crowds/noise at night. Both are near the Metro, in a safe area and there are many other great hotels all nearby. They are a quick cab ride down to the port (about 20 minutes if I remember correctly). Cost was only about $25 euro for two of us with a total of 3 luggage pieces). Barcelona is one of those places I'd not want to be near the port - its away from things and I think even the closest hotel will require a cab ride.

Thank you so much for the clarification. We will definitely look into these hotels!

We walked the two blocks from our B&B to the bus stop and took the [blue] shuttle bus that leaves from the statue of Columbus at the bottom of La Rambla right to the entrance of the cruise terminal for €2; so definitely possible w/o a taxi

We walked the two blocks from our B&B to the bus stop and took the [blue] shuttle bus that leaves from the statue of Columbus at the bottom of La Rambla right to the entrance of the cruise terminal for €2; so definitely possible w/o a taxi

You are right. I'd forgotten about that and I looked into all cheaper public transportation on this trip (Aerobus, the bus at the statue, the vaporettos in Venice, etc.) but used none. For us, it all went out the window after so many obstacles just getting to Barcelona (volcanic ash, airline strikes, etc) required major rearranging/disruption of plans. After finally landing in Barcelona, it was warm, and at that point we were exhausted and convenience then and for the rest of the trip trumped saving money at this point.

You are right. I'd forgotten about that and I looked into all cheaper public transportation on this trip (Aerobus, the bus at the statue, the vaporettos in Venice, etc.) but used none. For us, it all went out the window after so many obstacles just getting to Barcelona (volcanic ash, airline strikes, etc) required major rearranging/disruption of plans. After finally landing in Barcelona, it was warm, and at that point we were exhausted and convenience then and for the rest of the trip trumped saving money at this point.

We used the Aerobus to get to Hotel Inglaterra. You get dropped off at the Univeristat stop and the hotel is a block away. The bus worked very well. Lots of space for luggage and only 5 euros/pp.

Kirk

You could hop on the metro and do the same blue bus to the port from Inglaterra but we were not comfortable taking our luggage down into the metro. We rode the metro several times during our visit and it is great when you are unencumbered. The taxi ride down Ramblas and to the pier was only 17 euros so for the 3 of us it cost about $10 extra for the taxi.

Kirk

Archived