Granada spices....

soam2005

We didn't have any problems a couple of years ago. In my experience, all the spices are packaged and labeled before you could buy them. They were great to use - so much better than what you can buy in the grocery store.

We brought home some wonderful nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and all-spice from Grenada. It was all pre-packaged and bought on a shore excursion tour. It all came home without a hitch. I put it in my checked bag on the airplane. I am still using up some of it - and it is so-o much better than what you can buy at home - especially the nutmeg when it's freshly ground. Talk about good on top of egg-nog - YUM!!!

Anything you buy (including the wonderful spices) will count toward your total duty-free exemption, though. Doubt you'll spend $800 on spices, but who knows what else you'll be buying....

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/duty_free.xml

(I love the disclaimer on that page about children having the same exemption limits except for liquor and cigarettes - my parents always used my exemption when we travelled - boy were they bummed when I grew up and started using some of it myself ;-)

When returning from my last cruise to Granada, I did mark the box that I had 'seeds', as I'd bought a bunch of whole nutmeg. The agent said (with a grin) as long as I wasn't planning on planting them, she didn't care.

Can anyone recommend which spices are a must to buy? I love to cook but I won't be able to buy everything in sight - which ones are they most famous for?

Thanks Pink Pearl

Nutmeg is their biggie - they are the world's second largest producer of nutmeg next to Indonesia. Mace is the outer covering of the nutmeg, so that is prominent there as well.

Other spices grown in Grenada are cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Bring back whatever you would use the most of - we loved the nutmeg and brought back the most of that. It is wonderful!! :D

We have bought spices on several islands. We have purchased many of them by the oz. and they were in ziplock bags. They were listed on our customs form and we had no problem bringing them ashore. I don't know if this is an oversight by customs or you are allowed to bring bulk spices. Bill

Archived