Bringing Wine Onboard

WillW

I'm planning to bring 6 bottles of wine with me on my upcoming cruise. I got a cardboard box from the liquor store, taped the bottom up well so it won't come open, taped the top shut, and put on a luggage tag.

Is there anything special I should do with this box to ensure it makes it through safely? I figure if I tip the porter at the curb the box will be more likely to make it to the ship intact, but once it's handed over to the ship does it get delivered to my room or are they going to give me a hassle about the wine? Should I bring a copy of my passage contract with me and present it to them if they give me a hassle?

I'm just looking to make boarding the ship as painless as possible for all involved....mostly me! lol

We've packed wine bottles in a wine case before, and usually bubble wrap each bottle before packing in the separators. Knock wood, we've never had a problem. We tape one of our luggage labels on the box and drop off with the rest of our luggage at the pier- never been questioned, never any breakage. Good luck!

Not sure where you are leaving from; we left from Brooklyn. We had 3 bottles of wine packed in a carry-one cooler and were questioned by the x-ray security as to how many people we had with us. Since we had 3 people (we included the Bon Voyager!;)), they let us through. Perhaps things would have been different if they were in our checked luggage.:confused:

Thanks, I didn't bubble wrap the bottles but they're pretty snug in the box. I didn't know if it would be wise to put "Fragile" on the outside of the box or some other type of marking to let them know the bottles were breakable.

Thanks, I didn't bubble wrap the bottles but they're pretty snug in the box. I didn't know if it would be wise to put "Fragile" on the outside of the box or some other type of marking to let them know the bottles were breakable.

Bubble wrap may be wise... Depending on the port, the package will be heaved around by longshoremen and then by the crew. They generally aren't that careful...

Not sure where you are leaving from; we left from Brooklyn. We had 3 bottles of wine packed in a carry-one cooler and were questioned by the x-ray security as to how many people we had with us. Since we had 3 people (we included the Bon Voyager!;)), they let us through. Perhaps things would have been different if they were in our checked luggage.:confused:

We're going out of Brooklyn. I hope they don't tell us there's a limit on the wine we can bring since our contract says we can bring it. I have seen people getting told no before, but it seems like that's mostly at the carryon station and not with the luggage. Hopefully if they open the box they have the sense to re-tape it though! I could buy one of those coolers, but I can't think of many other times I'd need it.

Are you not allowed to bring wine on board ?? Do they charge you a fee if you drink it in your room ??

HAL and Princess allow you to bring as many bottles of wine, champagne, soda and bottled water on board as you like. There is no corkerage fee if you consume it in your cabin. There is a $15.00 to $18.00 corkerage fee in you bring it into any of the dining venues.

I think Celebrity allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine on board per passenger. Carnival has a one-bottle-per-person policy, I believe. NCL charges you a corkerage fee on each bottle brought on board at check-in, whether you drink it in your cabin or not.

To the OP: I would definitely put some bubble-wrap around those bottles!

Are you not allowed to bring wine on board ?? Do they charge you a fee if you drink it in your room ??

Princess allows adult passengers to carry wine on board. There is no charge if youconsume it in your cabin. If you bring it to a dining room, there is a $15 corkage fee.

Princss official policy:

Alcohol Policy

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

I know people take more on, and if you make it through great, but when you get caught & it's confiscated don't complain.

From my Passage Contract:

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

Are there other documents which supersede the Passage Contract, or is that the law of the land? (or law of the sea, as the case may be)

OK, I have read the official policy before, and I have seen what passengers actually do.

Here's my question: I respect that you can only bring on one bottle in each port, the policy isn't terribly clear if the one bottle request is in play for the Embarkation day.

When my husband and I travel with my daughter while we let her get to sleep we like to have a glass of wine or two on our balconey. None of what we have onboard is brought into public areas. Nor does it affect what we consume in those public areas :o.

OK, I have read the official policy before, and I have seen what passengers actually do.

Here's my question: I respect that you can only bring on one bottle in each port, the policy isn't terribly clear if the one bottle request is in play for the Embarkation day.

When my husband and I travel with my daughter while we let her get to sleep we like to have a glass of wine or two on our balconey. None of what we have onboard is brought into public areas. Nor does it affect what we consume in those public areas :o.

Agree with your post. We are just off the Diamond Princess and DH and I carried 2 bottles of wine each on board on embarkation day. It was not hidden away in our carry-on's but was carried on board in a box made for carrying wine. Absolutely nothing was said by any one in the terminal, the screening area or by any of the ship's personal greeting us onboard.

We observed anaother passenger toting a case of twelve bottles on a rolling carrier. I didn't hear anything said to him, either.

Like you, our wine was consumed in our stateroom and did not prevent us from having a cocktail or two in the evening. :D

Hi All,

I just got off of the Sea Princess on a 10 day cruise where my husband and I packed 8 bottles of wine, bubble wrapped into our suitcase and carried 2 aboard in our carry on packs. We had no problems at all!

1. A couple of nights we did bring a bottle to the dining room with us and paid the $15 corkage fee

2. No fee for drinking in your rooms. I also asked our wonderful room steward if it was possible to round up a couple of wine glasses for us!

3. Later on during the cruise I did bring a glass of wine with me to dinner with no problem.

We actually came home with 3 bottles of wine left!

I do have to say that you should try a champagne Blini and one of the specialty martini's while you are on board. They are very good!

Agree with your post. We are just off the Diamond Princess and DH and I carried 2 bottles of wine each on board on embarkation day. It was not hidden away in our carry-on's but was carried on board in a box made for carrying wine. Absolutely nothing was said by any one in the terminal, the screening area or by any of the ship's personal greeting us onboard.

We observed anaother passenger toting a case of twelve bottles on a rolling carrier. I didn't hear anything said to him, either.

The X-raying of luggage by port personnel is not done by Princess employees. They are not looking for alcoholic beverages, they are looking for dangerous items, just like when your luggage is screen at the airport.

The X-raying of your hand luggage at the embarkation port is also no done by Princess employees and those doing the screening do not care about anything but what maight be a danger.

When you first embark the ship, you do not have anything x-rayed by ship's personnel.

I have taken 10 Princess Cruises. The most we've brought on is a case for the two of us. Last time (April) we brought one of those wine carriers that holds six bottles. We carried it on. We've carried it and checked it. Never a problem at embarkation. The rules about one bottle come into play at the ports. And hard liquor is problematic, but that's not what you are asking.

Last time we brought a battery-powered candle and had late night wine on the balcony with our "candle."

On our November cruise we brought on 6 bottles in a wine bag, that we had purchased at total wine. no one even mentioned it. Other couples brought hard liquor with them. We are strictly concerned with wine.

Wondered if it would be any different this time as we are embarking in Seattle, not Florida. Take our chances I guess...although I am not too worried. We have spoken with ship services, and because my husband requires a gluten free doet we asked about a couple of bottles of GF beer, and they just wanted to know what kind, and how many, and they would be allowed onboard also.

Not if they don't know about it. Most cruise lines let you bring on one bottle per passenger over 21. They will charge you if you drink it with dinner in the main dining room.

I'm surprised they didn't find those other guys bottles in the X-Ray machine? I know NY puts the luggage through x-ray. I mean all ports should what if you pack something dangerous - more people on a boat then a plane. Customs on boats are very weak though in general. I should check that out, I don't want to get on a boat in Ft. Lauderdale where peoples luggage has not been scanned/X-rayed. In fact I know they do but I will check anyways. They probably passed through because it was just a small amount of wine. I know people who had Liquor bottles that were removed from their suitcases and held until they got off the boat. They want you to buy it from them.

I don't like wine so never tried myself.

Princess allows unlimited wine, soda's and water to be brought on board. Security at most ports doesn't care if you bring wine on board as they are not cruise line employees. Some will catch liquor bottles and send the owners to the "Naughty room" but others get away with it. I am not advocating trying to sneak liquor on board. However I have brought a case of wine onboard with my checked luggage and drink it in my room, balcony and public areas. Others don't like Coke products and bring their Pepsi products on board.

I bought a folding luggage cart from *Mart ($18?) and rolled on a case of wine for our CB cruise in June out of Bklyn. I had two 18 packs of soda (wrapped up real well w/packing tape, then tied up with rope) that I gave to the porters. No problems with the wine, and the soda survived, but 4 or 5 cans were dented & looked about ready to explode.

I'm planning to bring 6 bottles of wine with me on my upcoming cruise. I got a cardboard box from the liquor store, taped the bottom up well so it won't come open, taped the top shut, and put on a luggage tag.

Is there anything special I should do with this box to ensure it makes it through safely? I figure if I tip the porter at the curb the box will be more likely to make it to the ship intact, but once it's handed over to the ship does it get delivered to my room or are they going to give me a hassle about the wine? Should I bring a copy of my passage contract with me and present it to them if they give me a hassle?

I'm just looking to make boarding the ship as painless as possible for all involved....mostly me! lol

HELLO!!! Carry it on board.

Last year in Seattle, I brought a case of wine, slapped a luggage tag on it and checked it with the porters. It arrived at my stateroom intact.

My brother, on same cruise, brought his aboard as carryon. He didn't pack it in his carryon, just carried the case aboard - he didn't trust the porters.

I've carried it on before, but would rather check it than schlep it. :)

Last year in Seattle, I brought a case of wine, slapped a luggage tag on it and checked it with the porters. It arrived at my stateroom intact.

My brother, on same cruise, brought his aboard as carryon. He didn't pack it in his carryon, just carried the case aboard - he didn't trust the porters.

I've carried it on before, but would rather check it than schlep it. :)

I've checked it every time and have never had a problem.

Archived