Ancient Buried Ship Found at Ground Zero Site

geocruiser

We will attach our own significance to it, but I wonder how fate came to be that this (possibly Dutch) ship came to light only after the disaster. An artifact on what was to become, centuries later, sacred soil.

Odd that they didn't find this when they built the WTC. :confused:

The article on the New York Times notes: "The area under excavation, between Liberty and Cedar Streets, had not been dug out for the original trade center."

Just saw this on the noon news. I wonder how much time the archaeologists will have for the dig. A big building in Lower Manhattan has held up for mnths, maybe a year, over a "find" 20 years ago. If there are human remains, everything comes to a halt while the site is excavated, and I think that's what happened in that case. The boat is probably fill and not a wreck that might have remains in it.

Just saw this on the noon news. I wonder how much time the archaeologists will have for the dig. A big building in Lower Manhattan has held up for mnths, maybe a year, over a "find" 20 years ago. If there are human remains, everything comes to a halt while the site is excavated, and I think that's what happened in that case. The boat is probably fill and not a wreck that might have remains in it.

I was thinking the same thing. How much time will they give for the dig. And what if they find more artifacts?

Maria

Just as a tangent to this story:

In San Francisco much of the Financial District is built on land fill that was done very rapidly and very haphazardly during the Gold Rush.

This type ship find from the 2nd half of the 19th Century became commonplace when an old building was torn down to build a new one.

There are still buildings that have the name of the ship they were built on top of.

Of course this find at Ground Zero is much more significant

Archived