Livorno -getting off the ship

vinonme2

I've been reading posts about passenger difficulties at the Livorno port of getting from the ship to the entry gates of the pier - not being allowed to walk on the pier, "phantom shuttle busses", etc. I am getting more and more confused and really hope to get clarification from those who have docked in Livorno in the past.

Is the only way for passengers to get out of the port by bus shuttle?

If that's the case and there is no shuttle, how do the passengers get out of the port?

Are tour guides allowed on the pier or do they all wait outside the port entrance?

We'll be sailing the 32 night Nieuw Amsterdam Oct. 6th cruise and docking in Livorno on two different days. We have private tours lined up for both of those days and in each instance (2 different tour operators), we have been told they will be waiting for us right in front of our ship. We're so used to just walking off a ship and going wherever, that I never imagined there might be a problem getting out of the port area.

I'm really getting concerned that there could be delays or problems getting to our tour guides.

Thank you all for any information you can give me on this.

Much depends on where in the port your ship is berthed, it's a huge, primarily industrial port.

However, if you are using guides who make a business from cruise ship passengers, I'm sure they know what they can and cannot do, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Taxis drive right up to the ships, as do rental car companies, so I see no reason why licensed tour guides couldn't do it as well.

When I was there a year ago on HAL, they had a shuttle bus that took you to town for 1 Euro pp. The bus was not operated by the cruise line. They had a lady at a table sitting right next to the ship. Private tour guides can drive right up to the ship.

One way or the other there will be a shuttle bus that will take you to the main gate so please do not worry.

Your ship will either be docked in an area where you can walk off the ship and right over to the main gate.

Or your ship will be docked in an area where a shuttle will take you to the dock to the main entrance.

Keith

We were on RCI, but in April tour guides and their taxis/buses were able to drive up right to the ship. I think they had to stay back a short ways, but not far. They were also able to drive right up to let us off at the end of our tour. We didn't take a shuttle, so I can't address that.

I was docked in Livorno in June of 2007 off the Carnival Freedom. I had a private tour with 7 others and I remember the guide meeting us right off the ship. We got in his van and traveled for a long time through the huge ugly port with hundreds of freighter ships.

I wondered at the time if I ever returned there if I could just "walk into town" from a ship. It is so complicated and so secure, and so far, I doubt if anyone just "walks into town."

Archived