Advice please!Waiting in line to see some of the sites in Rome

kadey

I understand that some of the sites that we are interested in may have long lines to purchase an entrance ticket. I've looked into tickitaly.com.They say if i pre purchase my tickets I will just have a short line for ticket pickup.However,they want a specific time I need to be there to pick up my ticket.We will be going the day that we arrive on a morning flight.We only have one and a half days in Rome before our cruise. I love the idea of the pre purchase but it will be hard to commit to a time. Is there a better way to avoid the long lines since our time is so limited or is tickititaly my best bet? Thank you for any advice-Kade

Really the only places where you typically find lines are the Colosseum and the Vatican museums. For that matter, relatively few things in Rome have an entry fee - most of the great art is in churches, where entrance is free.

For the Colosseum, you can buy your tickets at the Palatine ticket office on Via di San Gregorio (use the search function - this question has been answered in great detail as recently as today, on another thread). The Colosseum ticket is good for two days, so you can buy it on arrival day, even if you don't use it right away.

For the Vatican museums, you can purchase a ticket voucher on line, but you do have to specify a time. There is no need to pay the additional fee for a consolidator, you can order it yourself directly from the Vatican here: http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do

I agree with the advice above. The Colosseum can be done without purchasing your tickets ahead of time if you go to the other lesser known entrance. The Vatican, however, should be purchased ahead of time. At the Vatican Museum, there are two lines - one for tour groups/ prepurchased tickets, and one for standby visitors. The latter line stretched all the way around the museum. And this was at 10 am! Highly highly recommend buying something ahead of time. Not sure how much leeway they will give you if you are late, but we just made it part of our itinerary and knew we had to show up at a certain time.

Judging from your ticker you are not going until Oct. Several posts say that the crowds are less then, and also that going after 1pm the lines are shorter at the Vatican. This might help your timing.

If you're flying from the US, you or someone else in your party may be exhausted when you arrive or you could have flight delays. I'd recommend playing that first day by ear rather than being committed to pre-paid tickets.

If you haven't already booked your flights, could you add more time to enjoy Rome?

Thanks for all the great ideas! Our flights are booked already and DH can't take anymore time off from work! As much as I'd love to pre purchase tickets,I really can't commit to a time. My thoughts about visiting places that need tickets are to visit the Colosseum after we drop our bags at the hotel.We can either jump in a tour that may be offered out front or purchase tickets from Palatine Hill.We will try to get to the Vatican after lunch.Since we have been to Rome before,although many years ago,if my plans don't work out I won't be crushed!

I just got Rick Steves Rome 2010. I really liked his suggestions for what to see depending on how many days you are staying in Rome. It gave me a little direction!

I'm still open to any ideas and suggestions....nothing is written in stone!

Don't forget the Galleria Borghese where you do have to purchase a timed ticket.

One of my favorite museums in Rome is the Capitoline Museo which is spacious and less-traveled. It's virtually next door to the Forum.

Wife and I arrived to huge lines at Coliseum. Several tour guides(locals) were circulating and offering quick admission, tickets and personal plus

electronic (hand held device describing area your looking at) guide. Cost

a little more and well worth it. She took 12 of us past the line and we entered almost immediately. Free to go on your own at any time and stay as long as you want. This was great for us, less time in line and more time

to sightsee...It was great.

Wife and I arrived to huge lines at Coliseum. Several tour guides(locals) were circulating and offering quick admission, tickets and personal plus

electronic (hand held device describing area your looking at) guide. Cost

a little more and well worth it. She took 12 of us past the line and we entered almost immediately. Free to go on your own at any time and stay as long as you want. This was great for us, less time in line and more time

to sightsee...It was great.

There are also English tours offered from the Colosseum staff. You bypass the main line, tell the security, that you want the tour line and will be directed to a line, past the regular line. Very good guided tour to consider, with little wait, if you hit the time right.

Archived