Back from Alaska (Navigator 7/7-7/14)

Withdrawal is a cruel cruel mistress.

We had a great time. Truly. The weather was all over the place, but that is Alaska.

Pre Cruise Denali Excursion: We did the one offered by Regent. It was really a great way to start. Yes, it can be done cheaper on your own, but for an overview it was just what we wanted. (other than another 2 days in Denali). Our guide and driver were super. We heard a guy speak about his transition from living in Atlanta to home steading in Alaska. That was something we woudn't have heard of off the tour. We met some cool people that we hung around with on the boat quite a bit.

We loved the Navigator. Perfect size for us. Joel really was amazed at the size between it and some of the other ships (Coral Princess, Wollendam among others) in port. Our suite was beautiful. We were in 941. We only felt the vibration issue in La Veranda or Gallileo's. It was only disturbing on the first sea day which was a bit rougher than usual (by other's reports). The cabins are so nice. I actually used the tub.

While the ship was at full capacity, it never felt that way. There were 20 or so kids of all ages. No outlandish wailing or gnashing of teeth. Very often there were only 20 or so people in the lounges at any time. We hit Gallileo's most often. We loved the availability of do it yourself spiked hot chocolate available at the Navigator Lounge and then mulled wine and more spiked hot chocolate available at the pool bar. It was perfect for coming back from an excursion that involved getting kind of wet on a boat, which for us, were most of them.

We didn't do any free excursions. Ours were all 99/pp add ons. We loved them all. We got to meet some great local people that way. Allen Marine Tours was one company and they had some great knowledgeable people on board. Everyone on the boats seemed happy to be there and definitely had passion for Alaska.

Food on board was good. Prime 7 was the best of all. I get an amuse bouche before the meal, but even a small amuse bouche before dessert? Well, if I must, I must. Joel loved the availability of smoked fish in La Veranda and very often we made a meal out of that, cheese and appetizer type stuff in La Veranda. Oh, the bread on board was something else entirely. Way too good. I was into trying the soups. Many of the entrees were ok, but just needed some oomph. Compass Rose was fine, loved the service for sure and the food was mostly better than La Veranda. We loved the candied ginger and mints available all the time. I guess "about as expected" would be a way of rating food. Pool bar was good. Room Service was often early and we learned to just keep it to coffee and rolls as hot food lost something on the way to our room.

The crew/officers we saw around were all very polite. Jamie was pulled in as cruise director at the last minute for some reason. He seemed good at what he did and was schmoozing with those who needed schmoozing. The captain (James Mc... something Scottish) was visible, funny at his public appearances and looked good in his kilt. The idea of the block party that was mentioned under the world cruise threads has been picked up for use on most cruises. It was fun. We all went out, there were wine and apps in the hallways. The muckety mucks all circulated and we met those in cabins around ours.

The staff of the Navigator is a really special group. I mean the cabin attendants, security people, wait staff, bartenders, those we came in contact with around the ship all day. All helpful, courteous, willing to help and always always smiling. These folks are the one who made our cruise such an amazing experience.

It was a bit unsettling at the end of a meal or after having a drink that we just got up and left. Joel got over the no tipping thing mostly.

We asked about the tipping policy a couple of times. One conversation was a bit longer and more serious, saying that when the ships were under Radisson the staff received a lot from the ships in terms of the leftovers taken down to the crew mess and such. Under Apollo much of this has stopped. Apparently leftovers now get tossed, which I really find low if that is the case.

I'd have to get picky to find faults. Yeah, there was chicken on the buffet one day that looked way too red to be served. Yeah, a couple of days we didn't get face cloths replaced. Small points that were easily fixed when we asked.

We'd go back again in a heart beat. We'd love to try one of Regent's other ships.

Oh, the dress code thing. "elegant casual" was definitely stretched to the limit by people. I can understand this in Alaska tho, it rained so much, that it seemed kind of silly getting dressed up when it was so nasty out. We saw black jeans, sloppy clothes and no one seemed to be tossing them out of bars.

We loved the cruise, loved the staff and can't wait til we go out and cruise again. Loved the sea days most of all.

What excursion did u do in Ketchikan? Any recommendations for shopping?

Ketchican was the day we cancelled our tour, which was supposed to be the Rain Forest Island Adventure. We just couldn't face another boat ride to someplace else and then a boat ride back to the boat and no time to look around.

We did go to the Totem Heritage Center which would have been more interesting if I knew more about what I was looking at.

There were some neat looking stores that had plenty of Native American art, but that was out of our price range even at 50% off. Plenty of tourist trap places too. There were 4 ships in that morning, so it was really crowded and frenetic. There was another shopping area that we didn't get to but that looked interesting. Tho it kind of had a Disney look to it. Something with Creek in the name, I think.

Oh and the Totem Heritage and Fish Hatchery place have a free shuttle that goes that direction. That will save you a cab fare.

Hi...and thanks for your great review. We're planning to include Regent's precruise tour for Denali and I have a couple of questions. How many people were on this tour with you? Was there ever an opportunity to go rafting? Also, could you give us an idea of what was NOT included...meals, for example. Thanks so much!

Hi...and thanks for your great review. We're planning to include Regent's precruise tour for Denali and I have a couple of questions. How many people were on this tour with you? Was there ever an opportunity to go rafting? Also, could you give us an idea of what was NOT included...meals, for example. Thanks so much!

Think of the precruise Denali thing as an intro to Denali. It was kind of frustrating in that you will want to spend more time there. Regent had 2 bus worth of people that week. Probably 36 or so on our bus, give or take. Nice coaches. You spend a lot of time in transit. It was really cool because we hooked up with some couples that we spent more time with once we were on board the Navigator.

I think we only paid for 2 dinners out of pocket on that portion of the trip. Premier tours even gives box lunches in addition to the "snack box lunch" provided by the park service. Be glad they do.

Plan on tips for the Driver, tour guide and any other tour guides (the guy who drove the bus in the park for example, and our rafting guide). And yes, there is an opportunity for rafting as well as other activities for Denali. We chose the white water adventure which was offered thru Premier tours. It was a hang on and let the pro drive, but they also have a paddle yourself option. The rafting trip was on the Neenahah (forgive me if that is wrong, I worked last night). It does go thru 1 class 4 and a few class 3 rapids. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

Also, the fact that it stayed light until well after 1 am (light enough to read by outside) really messed with my brain and internal clock. I work nights anyway, but man it was confusing. Also it was frustrating being on that kind of forced march time frame, but we got to where we needed to be on time, which is important when there are transportation schedules involved.

Our dinner on our own at Denali was at Prospector's Pizza. Fairly good pizza with a really good beer list. Dinner on our own at Alyeska was at the Double Musky. Moderate prices, good food, great hangout and sometimes a wait. The hotel at Alyeska was one nice ski lodge resort. Towel warmers in the bathroom, also beautiful grounds and a tram to go up on the next morning. You are given breakfast and lunch tickets for the next day. We did not use lunch. We slept in, had a brunchy breakfast, then went up the tram.

It definitely gave us a desire to go back to Denali and an idea of how we would do it on our own. Hope you have as much of a good time as we did.

Thanks so much Joelatchi...you've really made my day with your answers...especially about the rafting. We debated on whether or not to take the pre-cruise through Regent because it seemed to be rather "short" on time in Denali, but as you say, it is more of an introduction. Knowing that in advance, we shall enjoy it this time for what it is and perhaps go back again at a later time to stay longer. Thanks again for taking time to answer my questions!

we did similar trip 6/23-30. first time cruisers. fantastic. loved it all. the crew, staff all first rate. you didnt mention the #1 asset of the boat... the super coffee machine on the pool deck that 24/7 dispensed any form of fresh made coffee you could think of! we had great weather, by the way, even in Ketchikan, the rain capital of alaska. we lucked out. would do regent again.

Regent made our travel arrangements. Our flight to Chicago was at 11:20 am the day we disembarked. We walked onto our flight (panting) just at the final boarding call.

It was frustrating that we disembarked about 20 minutes late. Then once we got to the supersize bus, we had to wait for it to fill with passengers and luggage (maybe another 25 minutes). Then someone had to talk before they cleared us to leave. We got to the airport, someone had to greet us from Security (not sure why as they were on the bus for 30 seconds). Then someone had to get on the bus again after we arrived at the terminal. This woman was the most annoying as she didn't quite get why people were antsy to get off the bus. At this point it is 9:45 and we still had to check in, go thru security and then customs.

We made it, and of course it would have been Regent's issue if we missed the flight. It was frustrating tho, especially all those who had to send us off. It was not the best way to end the trip.

Next time I'd just consider eating the cost of a cab just to skip all the queues and hearding.

we did similar trip 6/23-30. first time cruisers. fantastic. loved it all. the crew, staff all first rate. you didnt mention the #1 asset of the boat... the super coffee machine on the pool deck that 24/7 dispensed any form of fresh made coffee you could think of! we had great weather, by the way, even in Ketchikan, the rain capital of alaska. we lucked out. would do regent again.

See, we favored the Navigator Lounge on 6 when we needed a Java fix. I did mention that cookie warmer, didn't I?

You were luckier than you knew! Your Captain - I think you said "James Mc something" must have been none other than John McNeil, who is, I think, the most wonderful Captain on the seas!! He is really super. As you said, very visible, and he cares deeply about the Navigator and all those who sail on her.:)

You were luckier than you knew! Your Captain - I think you said "James Mc something" must have been none other than John McNeil, who is, I think, the most wonderful Captain on the seas!! He is really super. As you said, very visible, and he cares deeply about the Navigator and all those who sail on her.:)

That's him! He rocked the kilt. And he had the chutzpah to eat chicken wings on the pool deck in his white uniform. Probably remained spotless too. He was gracious to everyone who approached him for a photo or a word. Didn't do a bad job with the ship either.

Regent made our travel arrangements. Our flight to Chicago was at 11:20 am the day we disembarked. We walked onto our flight (panting) just at the final boarding call.

It was frustrating that we disembarked about 20 minutes late. Then once we got to the supersize bus, we had to wait for it to fill with passengers and luggage (maybe another 25 minutes). Then someone had to talk before they cleared us to leave. We got to the airport, someone had to greet us from Security (not sure why as they were on the bus for 30 seconds). Then someone had to get on the bus again after we arrived at the terminal. This woman was the most annoying as she didn't quite get why people were antsy to get off the bus. At this point it is 9:45 and we still had to check in, go thru security and then customs.

We made it, and of course it would have been Regent's issue if we missed the flight. It was frustrating tho, especially all those who had to send us off. It was not the best way to end the trip.

Next time I'd just consider eating the cost of a cab just to skip all the queues and hearding.

Helpful to know

as we fly from Vancouver to Atl--via Regent arranged air...

Archived