Re-boarding ship in Bermuda...photo id?

Sandyshore

Just when I thought I researched every little thing, a new question just emerged. I'm on the Dawn with my DD this Sunday. She recently moved to NY and applied for a NY State driver's license. They gave her an interim license and the "real" one with the photo won't be ready til after we return. My recollection from past cruises is that we have to show our cabin key cards plus photo ID to re-board the ship. I don't like to carry our passports ashore...feels better to me leaving them in the cabin safe (I know others have a different opinion on that).

Sorry to be so long-winded to get to the main question: do you think a color copy of the passport photo page will be acceptable? Or a color copy of her old license from CT? Other ideas? Thanks :)

Even Black & White photocopies of the passport are fine.

I learned from the concierge that photocopies were okay, so I had our passports copied at the service desk in the Dawn's Grand Atrium, and I left our passports in the safe. We traveled Dawn to Bermuda June 27 - July 4.

At embarkation when you check in they take a mug shot of your face and store it in system with your cruise card #.

When you re-board the ship in ports the security aboard the ship takes your cruise card, scans it and your mug shot appears on their screen and they compare it to your own pretty face.

However ... a picture ID is essential while in port ... some places like to ask to see photo ID to match with credit card when you make purchases using credit card.

A couple of times or so my DS and I would switch our cruise cards when boarding in order to "wake up" the security - the guy just looked up and smiled when he saw the other person there.

At embarkation when you check in they take a mug shot of your face and store it in system with your cruise card #.

When you re-board the ship in ports the security aboard the ship takes your cruise card, scans it and your mug shot appears on their screen and they compare it to your own pretty face.

However ... a picture ID is essential while in port ... some places like to ask to see photo ID to match with credit card when you make purchases using credit card.

It's not the ship that requires the photo ID... it's the Bermuda officials that do. We had copies of the kids' passports made at the Purser's Desk since they don't have photo ID's (outside of their passports). No worries.

It's not the ship that requires the photo ID... it's the Bermuda officials that do. We had copies of the kids' passports made at the Purser's Desk since they don't have photo ID's (outside of their passports). No worries.

they don't require it for kids under 16...you don't need a picture ID for a kid under 16 to board a WHTI round trip either....only a birth certificate

they don't require it for kids under 16...you don't need a picture ID for a kid under 16 to board a WHTI round trip either....only a birth certificate

It was required for us last month. The guy at the port house looked at the photo copies and the kids very, very carefully. And, I know that birth certificates are all that's required for the cruise. However, if we had an emergency and had to fly home.... there'd be a major SNAFU if we didn't have the kids' passports.

It was required for us last month. The guy at the port house looked at the photo copies and the kids very, very carefully. And, I know that birth certificates are all that's required for the cruise. However, if we had an emergency and had to fly home.... there'd be a major SNAFU if we didn't have the kids' passports.

I had NO pictures of my grandson at all. He was two and never had a problem at all. Yes if we had to fly home I would have needed a passport but I didn't and he didn't either. He is the older one pictured above. and this was last season and the rules haven't changed.

I had NO pictures of my grandson at all. He was two and never had a problem at all. Yes if we had to fly home I would have needed a passport but I didn't and he didn't either. He is the older one pictured above. and this was last season and the rules haven't changed.

Well, then I guess we just had different experiences.

Well, then I guess we just had different experiences.

I'm with you. We are planning on taking 2 little girls next year and we will not go without passports for them, just in case there would be a need to fly home. It will make it easier all around and I would rather have all bases covered.:)

I believe the issue is two seperate things. There is ship security and port security. The ship accepts your keycard since it will reference a picture they took on embarkation.

Some Ports require picutre ID (they can't read the key card) and you go through their secruity/checkpoint before you even get to ship security.

Just an idea.

I believe the issue is two seperate things. There is ship security and port security. The ship accepts your keycard since it will reference a picture they took on embarkation.

Some Ports require picutre ID (they can't read the key card) and you go through their secruity/checkpoint before you even get to ship security.

Just an idea.

let me say again, they didn't for a two year old. The rule is it is not required under age 16. Maybe they asked for it but if you say they don't have one they won't stop you...

let me say again, they didn't for a two year old. The rule is it is not required under age 16. Maybe they asked for it but if you say they don't have one they won't stop you...

When I started looking into going on a cruise and taking my kids out of the country I was pretty sure I was not going to get a passport for them since it is not required and unless there is some emergency and you had to fly home ( which I refused to think of being the optimist I am LOL) you didn't need to spend that money or the time involved getting them passports.

BUT that being said someone made a simple statement to me which changed my thinking......The rules and regulations are changing every day and if they were to change immediatly prior to cruising to require this form of ID for your child you would be up the creek so to speak.

I am bringing their passports plus the notorized paperwork stating it is ok for them to be out of the country with me. I would much rather be safe than sorry :)

Also I plan to make copies of all these papers to be safe too in case of loss/theft whatever.

Can't wait to go!!

I recently had to renew my old passport for my July 10th Epic cruise so what I decided to do was get the passport BOOK and the passport CARD. In port I left my book in the safe and carried the card in my wallet on shore. That way I would be covered for all contingencies.

It cost me a bit more but it made the OCD part of me very comfortable. :D

I recently had to renew my old passport for my July 10th Epic cruise so what I decided to do was get the passport BOOK and the passport CARD. In port I left my book in the safe and carried the card in my wallet on shore. That way I would be covered for all contingencies.

After I got the passports I thought about that and was so annoyed I didn't do that also.

I think it will be well worth the extra money you spent just in peace of mind.

You still will have delays if you "miss the boat". The card will not get you on an airplane while the book will. So while you may have an easier time getting a replacement book with the card....you still cannot fly until you get the book.

When I started looking into going on a cruise and taking my kids out of the country I was pretty sure I was not going to get a passport for them since it is not required and unless there is some emergency and you had to fly home ( which I refused to think of being the optimist I am LOL) you didn't need to spend that money or the time involved getting them passports.

BUT that being said someone made a simple statement to me which changed my thinking......The rules and regulations are changing every day and if they were to change immediatly prior to cruising to require this form of ID for your child you would be up the creek so to speak.

I am bringing their passports plus the notorized paperwork stating it is ok for them to be out of the country with me. I would much rather be safe than sorry :)

Also I plan to make copies of all these papers to be safe too in case of loss/theft whatever.

Can't wait to go!!

No, the rules are not changing every day, and it normally takes months, if not years to implement a change. The current rules were developed as a result of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and were not finalized until June, 2009, almost 8 years later.

No, the rules are not changing every day, and it normally takes months, if not years to implement a change. The current rules were developed as a result of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and were not finalized until June, 2009, almost 8 years later.

Yeah that may be but I would still rather be safe then sorry. There are so many rules that people new to traveling ( read me!) are much better being on the safe side since it is really easy to get the proper forms of ID.

In discussing this issue I found out I needed a notorized form stating its ok to take my own children out of the country on vacation from my husband. I would never have thought of such a thing.:eek:

:D

actually the rules for a Bermuda cruise have not charged at all pre and post 9-11. They are exactly the same. No change is contemplated and if they do, they(DHS) has always given adequate notice of the change.

What has changed is air travel and the ease of getting an exception when a passport is lost/stolen eaten for lunch(a mutilated passport is invalid).

So please go ahead and spend needless money. As I said, the rules are clear. But I won't stop anyone from getting a passport.

actually the rules for a Bermuda cruise have not charged at all pre and post 9-11. They are exactly the same. No change is contemplated and if they do, they(DHS) has always given adequate notice of the change.

What has changed is air travel and the ease of getting an exception when a passport is lost/stolen eaten for lunch(a mutilated passport is invalid).

So please go ahead and spend needless money. As I said, the rules are clear. But I won't stop anyone from getting a passport.

Sid, my comments were not intended to be limited to just the closed loop cruise exception of the June, 2009 rules. I referring to the entire body of rules finalized in 6/09, which certainly includes post 9/11 changes.

Id like to clear everyone up on this subject for I just got off the Dawn yesterday from Bermuda and can tell u first hand....

Im not sure the OP was asking about having kids on board with them but

make sure you have your key card and "Photo ID" with you to show the "Port" people when you come back to the pier because they will want to see it and they actually make u take off your sunglasses to check so they are checking your photo....I saw some passports being used..."Yikes" and also drivers licenses being used....."like me" :)

Just when I thought I researched every little thing, a new question just emerged. I'm on the Dawn with my DD this Sunday. She recently moved to NY and applied for a NY State driver's license. They gave her an interim license and the "real" one with the photo won't be ready til after we return. My recollection from past cruises is that we have to show our cabin key cards plus photo ID to re-board the ship. I don't like to carry our passports ashore...feels better to me leaving them in the cabin safe (I know others have a different opinion on that).

Sorry to be so long-winded to get to the main question: do you think a color copy of the passport photo page will be acceptable? Or a color copy of her old license from CT? Other ideas? Thanks :)

For the real answer....Tell her to pack her old license to show the photo....you will be fine with that;)

Here's some food for thought:

Not that I'd ever recommend getting off the ship without a photo id, but every time I reboarded in Bermuda this April, there was always a group of people who didn't have photo IDs. All the agents did was make them wait until the group of people with IDs got through, and then they were double-checked for security purposes-- bags searched, etc.

I saw this at least 3 or 4 times, if not more. I always seemed to be coming back with everyone else-- meal times, before we left, etc.

For the real answer....Tell her to pack her old license to show the photo....you will be fine with that;)

OP here LOL. I'm back, and here's what happened...

I did not have a kid with me...it was my adult daughter. She took a color photocopy of her old (expired) license with her and that was fine for the Bermuda officials. (When she applied for her NYS license, the DMV took her old CT license, so all we had was a copy from a previous trip.) We re-boarded 3 times during the 3 days in port, and each time, the official carefully checked our ship key cards AND our photo IDs to match up the names and then checked to see that our photos matched our faces. As prg2101 said, we had to remove our sunglasses. I used my driver's license as my photo ID and figured if they gave DD a problem, I could just re-board, get her passport from the cabin, and bring it back out, but that was never necessary.

Archived