Naples to Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi/Ravello, with driver??

ojaidenny

We will be in Naples from 7am to 7pm. Am I dreaming to think with a driver I can do Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello, and Positano in one day? I am also thinking of taking the ferry back to the ship by way of the ferry to give us more time.

We will be in Naples from 7am to 7pm. Am I dreaming to think with a driver I can do Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello, and Positano in one day? I am also thinking of taking the ferry back to the ship by way of the ferry to give us more time.

We were docked in Naples from 700AM to 700PM and did the Highlights for Cruisers tour with Gennaro Ruocco of sorrentolimo.com. We were a group of 8 and were met at the dock by Gennaro in a Mercedes van. We did the Amalfi coast drive with stops in Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. We had a fabulous lunch at a restaurant high above the Mediterranean. Then we went to Pompeii for a 3 hour guided tour. We were back at the dock by 530PM. We had plenty of time and didn't feel rushed. It was a great tour and we can recommend Gennaro and Sorrentolimo.

This really boils down to how much time you want to spend at a particular site. If you want to say you have seen it all it is doable. For example you can stop off at Pompeii and run around for 30 minutes and you have seen it. But, you could also spend several more hours there to take it in. Normally, I would have recommended spending at least three or four hours there and you will will not see it all but you'll learn much more from that experience. So, it all comes down to what you want to do. Personally, I would rather get more depth and see less sites but if you want to see them quickly your plan is possible.

The mistake I do find people making is that they try to do too much each day.

Keith

Last year we used a wonderful company (Romeinlimo) to do a tour from Naples that included a morning drive down the Amalfi Coast spending plenty of time in Positano and Sorrento (including lunch) and then having time for a couple of hours at Pompeii on the way back to the ship. You could spend an entire day in any one of these areas. But, we were really happy that we had a chance to experience them all!

Here's my two cents worth.......

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO BE THERE. I see from your signature that it will be June. High season. Not the highest high but still high season.

Traffic will be heavier, crowds will be crowdier :D

We went late November and did all that you want to do....... we had 2+ hrs in Pompeii with a private guide, to Ravello for 1 hr, Amalfi for 1.5 hrs and Positano for 1 hr. then to Sorrento and the ferry.

But it was way off season. No traffic, no crowds and we all opted to grab a bite for lunch on our own in Amalfi versus a big (time consuming) sit down lunch.

I would tell your tour company what you would LIKE to do and let them tell you what you CAN possibly do in that time frame. They are the experts.......

Hope this helps. TEX

I would tell your tour company what you would LIKE to do and let them tell you what you CAN possibly do in that time frame. They are the experts.......

Absolutely - they are the ones with the answer.

Be prepared to accept their judgement, however. They may advise that it's faster to drive back vs. the ferry ... although the drive back might not be along the coast. (The fastest roadway back is to go all the way down the coast to Salerno, then take the inland autostrada back.)

Also keep time of year in mind when deciding the order of things. My first trip to Pompei was in late October and it was pretty darn hot then; if you are going during the warmer months you may want to see Pompei as early in the day as possible.

Absolutely - they are the ones with the answer.

Be prepared to accept their judgement, however. They may advise that it's faster to drive back vs. the ferry ... although the drive back might not be along the coast. (The fastest roadway back is to go all the way down the coast to Salerno, then take the inland autostrada back.)

Also keep time of year in mind when deciding the order of things. My first trip to Pompei was in late October and it was pretty darn hot then; if you are going during the warmer months you may want to see Pompei as early in the day as possible.

We were just in Pompeii this past late June and used Romeinlimo. We were off the ship before 8 a.m. (our scheduled meeting time) and I'm pretty sure we were at Pompeii before 9 a.m. It was probably in the low 90's by the time we left around 11 a.m. From there we went to to Sorrento, shopped, had lunch, and then on to Positano. Romeinlimo arranged for a private guide in Pompeii (highly recommended). Let RIL set the itinerary for you.

Thanks all. These comments are all helpful, believe me. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I am leaning on skipping Sorrento and maybe lunch at a sit down place. Sounds fun, but I think we would rather spend more time in the other places.

Archived