Proper Manners While cruising in Great Britian

When DW and I went to Britain we had a great time and we were shown every courtesy imaginable. Other than completely inedible catsup (ketchup) at the Hard Rock Cafe, and some really bad pub food, (chicken should not taste like fish), we had a marvelous time without any translational issues. Seeing Phantom of the Opera live in London was a real joy. And I had the best Thai food I ever had in my life there.

My preferred uniform on vacation is shorts and white socks and tennis shoes, which I guess violates the dress code according to someone on here, but, hey, I want to be comfortable. If people identify me as American, I can't imagine being offended. I am American. I really like being American. It's not an insult. What is insulting to others is acting like being American endows you with the privileges of royalty. I am proud of where I was born, but I try not to make an issue out of it at every opportunity.

I do mind being thought of as an "Ugly American." :mad: But these people are relatively easy to identify and distance yourself from. Find the person who asks "what time is it back in New York" :eek: (as if people carried a GMT calculator with them), and you'll be well on your way to identifying this idiot. He also says things like "how much is this in real money.":eek: (Nota Bene: Pounds, francs, and euros are all "real money."). This numbskull will carry a $5,000 camera (because its a NYE-CONN) and will shoot everything on auto, getting results less viewable than a reasonably trained teenager with an I-phone. If this person is in your traveling party -- find another party. Guilt by association is a real thing.

I have found that most people are natural storytellers, and love to talk about the history of their town or the famous things associated with it. If you express an interest in getting to know people, and learning about what makes an area special, you'll find that irrespective of whether you're in Southampton or Glasgow (or for that matter, Tibet), people are pretty much all the same, and generally pretty wonderful.

Safe travels.

This side of the pond it is probably more common to say please and thank you to anyone giving you service - waiters, shop assistants etc... we are quite patient about standing in line and maybe just a little quieter in our conversations in public. The fact that you are concerned enough to ask shows you will have no problem at all.

Enjoy your trip!

:)

I have been to Dublin just last year and only had the chance to spend a few days,but I saw enough to know I must come back.

I spend a wonderful day on the HOHO on a day there was a Gaelic Football match I felt lucky not to feel like a tourist. You are right I did not feel out of place and I don't think I was treated with anything but kindness.

I did have the chance to savour the Brazen Head Pub as well as a few other landmark watering holes. Any suggestions on must do things in Dubin ???

I think I understand that it is basically an afternoon snack between lunch and dinner that is intended to be kept light.What confuses me and it shouldn't is tea selection and when to drink it

You're right; it is eaten between lunch and dinner. However, whether it's kept "light" depends on where you're having Afternoon Tea! At hotels like The Ritz and The Savoy, then you'd dress up very smartly, and your afternoon tea would consist of a glass of Champagne (optional), many tiny sandwiches with the crusts cut off, scones with jam and cream, and many tiny cakes and tarts. Plus as much tea (you'd be offered a choice of Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Orange Pekoe, and probably a couple more - choice is yours) as you can reasonably drink within a couple of hours.

All that would set you back anywhere between £40 and £60 per person.

Afternoon Tea in a nice English Cafe somewhere would consist of tea and scones (like your biscuits) with jam and cream (preferably clotted cream) - that would only cost you about £4 per person (so somewhat more reasonable).

Hope that helps! :)

Well said Claire, but you need to concentrate on Manchester not Liverpool (they only produced The Beatles! :D) 35 miles east of Liverpool! Joking Claire honest.

But seriously here you have 2 cities steeped in history and they are 2 of the easiest cities to get around.

The pace of life is slightly slower than frenetic London, less crowded and the welcome 'up north' is second to none.

You will come across rude people the world over, but in general as mentioned by all on here. Please/Thanks will serve you well and don't worry about the rest.

www.visitmanchester.com

The Beatles and the most successful football club in English Football history Pete!! :D

The Beatles and the most successful football club in English Football history Pete!! :D
Actually Manchester United is playing in Houston this week so we'll be on the lookout for the Hooligans.:D

They'll be in for a surprise, however, as 95% of the crowd will be speaking Spanish.

Blackpool would be our choice, as we dance ballroom and the Empress and Tower Ballrooms are world famous. Although, I understand it might not be the safest city in England!:eek:

Archived