Proper Manners While cruising in Great Britian

As My DW and I get closer to retirement our cruise history grows longer,but we have come to the point we have cruisd the Carribbean as much as Possible.:)

It is obvious our next step it to cruise Europe. There are a number of cruises out of England that interest us, but as an American I feel we will be out of our element I know that some historian quoted that the United states and England was divided by a common Language.:confused:

My DW and I always strive to put our best foot forward when traveling and know and realize as some Americans do not always present themselves well.:(

I would like the opinions from our friends that live on the other side of the Pond,The proper do's and don't while cruising in Great Britian and proper behavior while ashore:D

As My DW and I get closer to retirement our cruise history grows longer,but we have come to the point we have cruisd the Carribbean as much as Possible.:)

It is obvious our next step it to cruise Europe. There are a number of cruises out of England that interest us, but as an American I feel we will be out of our element I know that some historian quoted that the United states and England was divided by a common Language.:confused:

My DW and I always strive to put our best foot forward when traveling and know and realize as some Americans do not always present themselves well.:(

I would like the opinions from our friends that live on the other side of the Pond,The proper do's and don't while cruising in Great Britian and proper behavior while ashore:D

George Bernard Shaw

:)

OP, good manners are good and accepted anywhere in the world. I don't think you should concern yourself about that. If you have them here, you'll have them in England. Go and enjoy.

I've made a few trips there and the people are very nice, friendly, and helpful.

Just be careful crossing streets, they drive opposite of us. (Notice I didn't say the wrong way. ;):D)

As a Brit, you've rendered me speechless. This is the 2nd time on CC.... the first time was to do with a starfish but that's a whole different story.

Erm......

We like to queue.... I believe you refer to it as standing in line.... we believe in an order to things I guess... we've never quite agreed as to whether the milk goes first in a tea cup..... and some men have a tendency to wear their trousers (pants) way low.....

Yes....that's it.... get your DH to wear his trousers low so his underwear shows and he'll fit right in. ;)

I've lived both in England and the US and I would say it's a lot more similar than different. What gets people in trouble is either being oblivious to what's going on around them (not follow the flow) or recoil in horror at something that is perfectly normal somewhere else (there are places where women cover up more than others and it doesn't mean much). So follow the flow and don't let it show when you disapprove and you'll do great.

Do: Be yourself

Don't: Pretend to be anyone but yourself.

If you are pleasant enough to be concerned, you will be very welcome this side of the pond :D.

Agreed that we're mostly similar rather then different. In our case, my wife was born / raised in Germany and all her family still lives there ... as such we fly back every year to visit. As someone above mentioned before, "Please" and "Thank You" go the furthest. Good manners transcend everything else.

On a personal note, an earlier poster had it right when he said "Go with the flow". Learn to embrace -- or at least enjoy -- new customs and new ways of doing things. It's fun to immerse yourself in the culture of the country that you're visiting.

The Brits are Americans closest cousins. Enjoy the experience ...

Raising a pint in honour of this thread ... and God Save The Queen!

Michael

OP, good manners are good and accepted anywhere in the world. I don't think you should concern yourself about that. If you have them here, you'll have them in England. Go and enjoy.

I've made a few trips there and the people are very nice, friendly, and helpful.

Just be careful crossing streets, they drive opposite of us. (Notice I didn't say the wrong way. ;):D)

At least in London they are thoughtful enought to paint arrows at the edge of the street reminding people to look in the appropriate direction before crossing!

To the OP.... Brits are some of the nicest people I have met. I love London and its people. But I have to admit, sometimes I don't understand a word of english that they speak over there! :D

I don't think you should have any concerns at all. Like people the world over if you have a concern for those around you and are not the arrogant type then you will be fine......in fact you will probably be more polite than some of the Brits I know!

If you do run into some of our home grown idiots then please accept our apologies in advance :o.

Come on over & enjoy yourselves & happy cruising!:)

But Oscar Wilde used it before Shaw in "The Canterville Ghost" in 1887

and Prime Minister Winston Churchill also used it.

In The Canterville Ghost (1887), Wilde wrote: ‘We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language’.

It is true that though widely attributed to George Bernard Shaw, no source seems to actually know when/where he is supposed to have said/written it.

Winston Churchill was clearly quoting/referencing what was said previously. He never claimed to be its author.

:D

How nice! :) I'm sure you'll be just fine. As others have said, you can't go wrong with "please" and "thank you". There are some points of etiquette but unless you're planning to attend The Ritz, the Royal Enclosure at Ascot, or anywhere similar, I don't think you need worry too much.

Speaking of pleases and thank yous, one observation I've made is that as *as a rule* perhaps we Brits tend to say more pleases and thank yous to waiters. That probably sounds odd, but I've noticed it a few times, and when we holidayed in Jamaica, the waiters there were almost beside themselves about how polite we were to them. I didn't really understand what they meant, but they kept telling us that English people said please and thank you to them, and they weren't used to it. We dined with an American couple one night on FOS last year and noticed that they didn't once say please or thank you to our waiter.

I honestly don't think they were being rude; I think it must be a cultural difference - would you agree?

How nice! :) I'm sure you'll be just fine. As others have said, you can't go wrong with "please" and "thank you". There are some points of etiquette but unless you're planning to attend The Ritz, the Royal Enclosure at Ascot, or anywhere similar, I don't think you need worry too much.

Speaking of pleases and thank yous, one observation I've made is that as *as a rule* perhaps we Brits tend to say more pleases and thank yous to waiters. That probably sounds odd, but I've noticed it a few times, and when we holidayed in Jamaica, the waiters there were almost beside themselves about how polite we were to them. I didn't really understand what they meant, but they kept telling us that English people said please and thank you to them, and they weren't used to it. We dined with an American couple one night on FOS last year and noticed that they didn't once say please or thank you to our waiter.

I honestly don't think they were being rude; I think it must be a cultural difference - would you agree?

I hope not - we're Americans and always say please / thank you, etc. to waiters in restaurants. But then our parents taught us to be polite and not all parents do that any more.

The milk does go in the cup first! (:p Norbert!)

Watch out for chavs - and Im sorry if you come into contact with any!

You wont have any problems over here, like others have said it can be fairly similar, theres polite people and obnoxtious (spelling!) people here like there is there!

I love visiting america, and i have had nothing but good experiences from everyone i have met.

over here you probably wont get so much 'have a nice day' in shops and stuff like that. I would say you might in the touristy places, but in May I was on the south coast in a very picturesque town and the woman didnt come off the phone to her friend the whole time she was serving me. Rude!! And she wasn't young either!

COme visit, you will have a great time!

I actually thought that we were conducting an elevated intellectual discussion.

Your viewpoint may be different, however. :D

So did I, wouldn't wanna spar with a vacuum on a toilet!!:cool:

The milk does go in the cup first! (:p Norbert!)

Watch out for chavs - and Im sorry if you come into contact with any!

You wont have any problems over here, like others have said it can be fairly similar, theres polite people and obnoxtious (spelling!) people here like there is there!

I love visiting america, and i have had nothing but good experiences from everyone i have met.

over here you probably wont get so much 'have a nice day' in shops and stuff like that. I would say you might in the touristy places, but in May I was on the south coast in a very picturesque town and the woman didnt come off the phone to her friend the whole time she was serving me. Rude!! And she wasn't young either!

COme visit, you will have a great time!

Thats happens both side of the pond and to be honest it pee's me off.....thank you!

I love London and its people. But I have to admit, sometimes I don't understand a word of english that they speak over there! :D

You want to come "oop north" then, a whole different language here :D One point to make though, Britain isn't just London, to our US friends, if you are making the journey over here, explore the whole of the UK, and not just London, there's Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the Lakes, Pennines, Yorkshire (anything north of the Watford gap really) is also stunning and friendly (and just as old as London ;) )

Claire (from Liverpool :))

You want to come "oop north" then, a whole different language here :D One point to make though, Britain isn't just London, to our US friends, if you are making the journey over here, explore the whole of the UK, and not just London, there's Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the Lakes, Pennines, Yorkshire (anything north of the Watford gap really) is also stunning and friendly (and just as old as London ;) )

Claire (from Liverpool :))

Lots of lovely stuff to see in Staffordshire too! I am from Leeds (West Yorkshire woohoo!) originally and now live in Stoke, I'm sure a lot of my roll call will have trouble understanding me at first lol!

Speaking of pleases and thank yous, one observation I've made is that as *as a rule* perhaps we Brits tend to say more pleases and thank yous to waiters. We dined with an American couple one night on FOS last year and noticed that they didn't once say please or thank you to our waiter. I honestly don't think they were being rude; I think it must be a cultural difference - would you agree?

It's quite common to say please and thank you to waiters in my part of the US. But it's hard to come up with a "rule" based upon a limited number of observations of Americans or other groups. I've had Europeans say to me that they can always tell the Americans because they are always saying please and thank you. In some parts of Europe it seems only Americans say thank you when paying in stores etc. Go figure.

The Brits are Americans closest cousins. Enjoy the experience ...

Raising a pint in honour of this thread ... and God Save The Queen!

Michael

What about our friends up in the Great White North?? Nothing irritates a Cannuck more than to be taken for granted.:D

Archived