Proper Manners While cruising in Great Britian

You want to come "oop north" then, a whole different language here :D One point to make though, Britain isn't just London, to our US friends, if you are making the journey over here, explore the whole of the UK, and not just London, there's Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the Lakes, Pennines, Yorkshire (anything north of the Watford gap really) is also stunning and friendly (and just as old as London ;) )

Claire (from Liverpool :))

I know someone who moved here from Scotland many years ago. Every once in awhile he will say something and I have to ask him just when does he plan on learning to speak english!:D

Seriously, I didn't mean to leave out all of you other fine Brits in my post about London. But I did have an amazing time in that city. We even spent a night in a pub with a group that was from Belfast. They were great. Some things in life you you never forget. And that trip was one of them.

I think it is very commendable that the OP wishes to practice good manners while visiting other countries and has asked for tips. Customs and manners can be very different throughout the world, which is why I usually go to the library and borrow a traveler's guide when planning to visit another country. Some of them are great sources of info on all aspects of travel, including customs and manners. For instance, in some parts of the world, it is considered very bad manners to chew gum, blow your nose, or point in public. In some places, tipping is considered an insult. Thus, it IS important to know customary good manners in other countries. I have a great little book that I always refer to when planning international travel. It is called "Behave Yourself! - The essential guide to international etiquette" (author Michael Powell). It gives you a few basics for different areas of the world, and after referring to it I always leave home feeling confident that I will know the right thing to do.

I want to thank all of You for your kind responses.:)

Some are very interesting and I will respond with more questions. It is very difficult to live in dreams alone. I have learned quite some time ago that ther are not enough "Maybe next Year"days to go around. So that is why I cruise and attempt to experience as much of life as can;)

You want to come "oop north" then, a whole different language here :D One point to make though, Britain isn't just London, to our US friends, if you are making the journey over here, explore the whole of the UK, and not just London, there's Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the Lakes, Pennines, Yorkshire (anything north of the Watford gap really) is also stunning and friendly (and just as old as London ;) )

Claire (from Liverpool :))

Well said Claire, but you need to concentrate on Manchester not Liverpool (they only produced The Beatles! :D) 35 miles east of Liverpool! Joking Claire honest.

But seriously here you have 2 cities steeped in history and they are 2 of the easiest cities to get around.

The pace of life is slightly slower than frenetic London, less crowded and the welcome 'up north' is second to none.

You will come across rude people the world over, but in general as mentioned by all on here. Please/Thanks will serve you well and don't worry about the rest.

www.visitmanchester.com

Well said Claire, but you need to concentrate on Manchester not Liverpool (they only produced The Beatles! :D) 35 miles east of Liverpool! Joking Claire honest.

But seriously here you have 2 cities steeped in history and they are 2 of the easiest cities to get around.

The pace of life is slightly slower than frenetic London, less crowded and the welcome 'up north' is second to none.

You will come across rude people the world over, but in general as mentioned by all on here. Please/Thanks will serve you well and don't worry about the rest.

www.visitmanchester.com

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Having spent 6.5 years in Europe on 2 tours, the biggest break was going to England. We are more similar then different. Except instead of asking for a "screwdriver" ask for a "gin and tonic" - it is soooooooooooooooo much easier to drink gin and tonic than vodka and oj.

Lots of lovely stuff to see in Staffordshire too! I am from Leeds (West Yorkshire woohoo!) originally and now live in Stoke, I'm sure a lot of my roll call will have trouble understanding me at first lol!

You live in a very pretty part of the country, but I swear you have the country's worst weather!:eek: I visit the town of Leek a few times a year, and I don't think I've yet to take off my coat. :D

It's quite common to say please and thank you to waiters in my part of the US. But it's hard to come up with a "rule" based upon a limited number of observations of Americans or other groups. I've had Europeans say to me that they can always tell the Americans because they are always saying please and thank you. In some parts of Europe it seems only Americans say thank you when paying in stores etc. Go figure.

I agree, and I meant no offence - it was just what I'd observed over the years. Perhaps I've been unlucky! :)

You live in a very pretty part of the country, but I swear you have the country's worst weather!:eek: I visit the town of Leek a few times a year, and I don't think I've yet to take off my coat. :D

haha yes, it can be vile weather, as it can be for a lot of northern england! We have a a couple of hot weeks this year, but now its wet and windy again :(

Staffordshire is very pretty, I have lived here for 6 and a half years now, and my house is right on the edge of the city almost in the country side, there is a national park at the top of my street which is lovely, I have woods at the back of my house and a stream at the front, and theres a lake just round the corner too.

When visiting England (or other other parts of the UK), I feel that to get a true taste you need to come away from London and explore. We are only small but we have lots to offer!

I think it is very commendable that the OP wishes to practice good manners while visiting other countries and has asked for tips. Customs and manners can be very different throughout the world, which is why I usually go to the library and borrow a traveler's guide when planning to visit another country. Some of them are great sources of info on all aspects of travel, including customs and manners. For instance, in some parts of the world, it is considered very bad manners to chew gum, blow your nose, or point in public. In some places, tipping is considered an insult. Thus, it IS important to know customary good manners in other countries. I have a great little book that I always refer to when planning international travel. It is called "Behave Yourself! - The essential guide to international etiquette" (author Michael Powell). It gives you a few basics for different areas of the world, and after referring to it I always leave home feeling confident that I will know the right thing to do.

Absolutely. We spent 4 years in Germany and I was lucky enough to have a German neighbor at the previous post who gave me "lessons" in German etiquette. One of the things was the customs on giving flowers - never an even number and roses are only for close friends and family. We rented the downstairs of a house for the first year (landlords lived upstairs) so I knew what the relationship would be when there were 3 roses on the kitchen table when we arrived. Every Saturday during the summer our landlord would give me roses from their garden, "for Sunday".

OP, you will be fine once you master the beans and toast thing for breakfast:eek: Just add the words Bloody and Bugger to your vocabulary and count all the money you saved by not tipping :D:D

Only kidding my friends only kidding .... I agree that yes please and thank you will server anyone well ....

OP, you will be fine once you master the beans and toast thing for breakfast:eek: Just add the words Bloody and Bugger to your vocabulary and count all the money you saved by not tipping :D:D

Only kidding my friends only kidding .... I agree that yes please and thank you will server anyone well ....

lol! I must admit only to eating beans on toast for lunch, never breakfast (but they must be Heinz beans) - but I'll agree about "bloody" and "bugger" - both very useful and most expressive! :D

My DW and I always strive to put our best foot forward when traveling and know and realize as some Americans do not always present themselves well.:(

I would like the opinions from our friends that live on the other side of the Pond,The proper do's and don't while cruising in Great Britian and proper behavior while ashore:D

It's "Britain", not "Britian". Sorry, I just had to say it. It was on your thread title too, so I guessed it wasn't typo.

It's lovely that you want to put your "best foot forward". It's appreciated that you would ask!

Do:

Accept that the weather isn't always great - bring something waterproof and just work around the rain.

Venture off the beaten path. Go see some things that aren't major tourist draws. Do some people watching.

Try some different foods - I never thought in a million years that I would have loved black pudding or haggis. Try some clotted cream, Welsh cakes, clootie dumpling, hot pot, fish pie, sticky toffee pudding, deep fried Mars bars... (not all together!) Just ask what the local special is, and dive in :)

Don't:

Refer to the Scots or the Welsh as English.

Attempt a British accent... I see this happen a lot and it can be pretty insulting.

Speak too loudly for regular conversation - voices here are a bit lower in volume, and North American voices (my Canadian family included) really carry in comparison.

Have a lovely time!

As a Brit, you've rendered me speechless. This is the 2nd time on CC.... the first time was to do with a starfish but that's a whole different story.

Erm......

We like to queue.... I believe you refer to it as standing in line.... we believe in an order to things I guess... we've never quite agreed as to whether the milk goes first in a tea cup..... and some men have a tendency to wear their trousers (pants) way low.....

Yes....that's it.... get your DH to wear his trousers low so his underwear shows and he'll fit right in. ;)

And how about tattoos absolutely everywhere?? ROTFL

On a recent cruise on the Indie, I was given a right telling off for not standing in line for.....................the elevators:D One man shouted out that the lady ought to give out numbers - she was fuming as I just fell about laughing - she was still spouting off as the lift doors closed - :eek::eek:

Well said Claire, but you need to concentrate on Manchester not Liverpool (they only produced The Beatles!) 35 miles east of Liverpool! Joking Claire honest.

www.visitmanchester.com

:eek::eek: and me :D

haha yes, it can be vile weather, as it can be for a lot of northern england! We have a a couple of hot weeks this year, but now its wet and windy again

Except for the fact that we in the north west currently have a hosepipe ban :eek: although not to worry, its rained everyday since they announced it :rolleyes:

Just another bit of advice for US travellers, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh etc...are not near London, for us anyway, and my biggest bugbear is that Southampton port is often described on the cruise line sites as London....its not :p

I ride my horsey in Windsor Great Park. When I used to see Prince Phillip driving his ponies, both he and his groom would doff their caps and say "Good morning madam' and I would reply 'Good morning Sir'. All the Park employees are exceptionally polite. If you are in London for a while, the Park is a wonderful place for a walk and there are large herds of deer in the Deer Park where I mostly ride. Have to watch out in the rutting season though.......:D:D

Nothing wrong with good old-fashioned manners. Have lived in Florida and can't say I see any difference in manners or customs really. Lots of kids here think you dial 911 instead of 999 - the influence of TV.:eek:

Main difference is that the UK teeth and trainers are not as white ROTFL.

Oh, stop. If you use "good manners'...say, Please and Thank-you...you're fine. People are people, and ettiquite is nice anywhere. You don't need to do anything "special"...just don't be rude!

Thank You !!

OP, good manners are good and accepted anywhere in the world. I don't think you should concern yourself about that. If you have them here, you'll have them in England. Go and enjoy.

I've made a few trips there and the people are very nice, friendly, and helpful.

Just be careful crossing streets, they drive opposite of us. (Notice I didn't say the wrong way. ;):D)

I have been to Dublin and Driving is a car where the wheel is on the opposite side as well as having to drive on the opposite side of the road was a bi more than I wanted to deal with stuct to the HOHO

As a Brit, you've rendered me speechless. This is the 2nd time on CC.... the first time was to do with a starfish but that's a whole different story.

Erm......

We like to queue.... I believe you refer to it as standing in line.... we believe in an order to things I guess... we've never quite agreed as to whether the milk goes first in a tea cup..... and some men have a tendency to wear their trousers (pants) way low.....

Yes....that's it.... get your DH to wear his trousers low so his underwear shows and he'll fit right in. ;)

I am curious why I would render you speechless?

I've lived both in England and the US and I would say it's a lot more similar than different. What gets people in trouble is either being oblivious to what's going on around them (not follow the flow) or recoil in horror at something that is perfectly normal somewhere else (there are places where women cover up more than others and it doesn't mean much). So follow the flow and don't let it show when you disapprove and you'll do great.

This is good advised I don't want anyone to think I have not traveled outside the US I have,just not as much as I would like. Books,TV and Magazines are OK but it does not replace one to one insight. Thank You

Do: Be yourself

Don't: Pretend to be anyone but yourself.

If you are pleasant enough to be concerned, you will be very welcome this side of the pond :D.

As you may have guessed I like to experience life. Some of the most simply things mean the most. Still trying to figure out Afternoon Tea ?

Agreed that we're mostly similar rather then different. In our case, my wife was born / raised in Germany and all her family still lives there ... as such we fly back every year to visit. As someone above mentioned before, "Please" and "Thank You" go the furthest. Good manners transcend everything else.

On a personal note, an earlier poster had it right when he said "Go with the flow". Learn to embrace -- or at least enjoy -- new customs and new ways of doing things. It's fun to immerse yourself in the culture of the country that you're visiting.

The Brits are Americans closest cousins. Enjoy the experience ...

Raising a pint in honour of this thread ... and God Save The Queen!

Michael

The response to this thread has ben more than I expected very heartwarming I'll raise a pint as well

I don't think you should have any concerns at all. Like people the world over if you have a concern for those around you and are not the arrogant type then you will be fine......in fact you will probably be more polite than some of the Brits I know!

If you do run into some of our home grown idiots then please accept our apologies in advance :o.

Come on over & enjoy yourselves & happy cruising!:)

My DW and I are pretty low key the years have mellowed both of us. Of course we were greatly influnced by the British Invasion of the 1960's

How nice! :) I'm sure you'll be just fine. As others have said, you can't go wrong with "please" and "thank you". There are some points of etiquette but unless you're planning to attend The Ritz, the Royal Enclosure at Ascot, or anywhere similar, I don't think you need worry too much.

Speaking of pleases and thank yous, one observation I've made is that as *as a rule* perhaps we Brits tend to say more pleases and thank yous to waiters. That probably sounds odd, but I've noticed it a few times, and when we holidayed in Jamaica, the waiters there were almost beside themselves about how polite we were to them. I didn't really understand what they meant, but they kept telling us that English people said please and thank you to them, and they weren't used to it. We dined with an American couple one night on FOS last year and noticed that they didn't once say please or thank you to our waiter.

I honestly don't think they were being rude; I think it must be a cultural difference - would you agree?

I don't think I will ever afford the Ritz, nor would I be comfortable I get very uneasy my wife has a standing joke that she knows when to buy new glass wear by the number left in the cuboard

www.visitmanchester.com

Sorry Had to add this

Only the Beatles :p

Michael John "Mike" Myers Parents are From Liverpool

Born in LiverpoolKim Victoria Cattrall

Thomas Stewart "Tom" Baker - Doctor Who #4

Melanie C {The ONLY Spice with any REAL Talent} Near Liverpool

Archived