Proper Manners While cruising in Great Britian

What about our friends up in the Great White North?? Nothing irritates a Cannuck more than to be taken for granted.:D

That would be Canuck :D... and not to worry, we are always way too polite to take offense, LOL:rolleyes: and we ALWAYS say please and thank you!

As My DW and I get closer to retirement our cruise history grows longer,but we have come to the point we have cruisd the Carribbean as much as Possible.:)

It is obvious our next step it to cruise Europe. There are a number of cruises out of England that interest us, but as an American I feel we will be out of our element I know that some historian quoted that the United states and England was divided by a common Language.:confused:

My DW and I always strive to put our best foot forward when traveling and know and realize as some Americans do not always present themselves well.:(

I would like the opinions from our friends that live on the other side of the Pond,The proper do's and don't while cruising in Great Britian and proper behavior while ashore:D

I was born in England and here are some tips on phrases and words that may seem odd but are common and not as they seem:

Keep your pecker up-stiff upper lip

I will knock you up in the morning - I will knock on your door to wake you.

On your bike-go away

A napkin goes on a babies behind.

Boot-the car trunk

Bonnet-the car hood

Hope you enjoy the U.K

I was born in England and here are some tips on phrases and words that may seem odd but are common and not as they seem:

On your bike-go away

Boot-the car trunk

Bonnet-the car hood

Hope you enjoy the U.K

This one might be a little confusing. Typically, what goes on a baby's behind is called a "nappy", but a "napkin" is a woman's sanitary napkin (or towel).

Keep your pecker up-thanks to pharmaceuticals, that's not a problem!!

I will knock you up in the morning - A promise to the wife.

On your bike-Nice Harley

A napkin goes on a babies behind.- we keep em on the table, babies wear diapers!

Boot-I recommend Ostrich Lucchese

Bonnet-Granny wore it in the garden.

Hope you enjoy the U.K - We'd love to.

We need to schedule a cruise out of England if for no other reason than to escape the tropical hell that is Texas summer.

Hope you enjoy the U.K

I will knock you up in the morning -

This one over in CAN & USA Might be taken as a Reference to SEX

On your bike-go away

Boot-the car trunk

Bonnet-the car hood

Hope you enjoy the U.K

Hmmmm......

I don't think I will ever afford the Ritz, nor would I be comfortable I get very uneasy my wife has a standing joke that she knows when to buy new glass wear by the number left in the cuboard

lol! You'd be surprised just how affordable the Ritz is sometimes - a three course lunch is often cheaper (without wine) than the Afternoon Tea with a glass of Champagne. :)

So what is it about Afternoon Tea that puzzles you? Can I help?

This one might be a little confusing. Typically, what goes on a baby's behind is called a "nappy", but a "napkin" is a woman's sanitary napkin (or towel).

No, NO, dahling! A napkin is what is commonly referred to as a "serviette".

Here - this should help: http://www.debretts.com/etiquette/british-behaviour.aspx

:):)

This side of the pond it is probably more common to say please and thank you to anyone giving you service - waiters, shop assistants etc... we are quite patient about standing in line and maybe just a little quieter in our conversations in public. The fact that you are concerned enough to ask shows you will have no problem at all.

Enjoy your trip!

:)

You've been given some good advice so far. I'll echo the comments about standing in line - don't forget to call it a "queue".

Don't keep telling people they have such a "cute english accent". We don't have an accent - you do ;)

If you meet someone from Yorkshire/Scotland/any other particular region don't say "I once met *John Smith* from Leeds/Glasgow/appropriate town. Do you know him?" We don't. In Ireland however, they're probably related.

Don't wear a baseball cap, voluminous hawaiian shirt, loud (clashing) shorts, white sports socks pulled up as far as possible, white trainers (tennis shoes) and a bum bag (fanny pack) & then be surprised that people know you're American before you open your mouth (OK, this may be an extreme caricature, but you know what I mean).

Have a fabulous time, try new things & embrace the differences.

<remove tongue from cheek now>

:cool: Don't bring up the following: King George, Valley Forge, Yorktown, Trenton, Sons of Liberty, or 1776.:cool: If offered Tea, don't ask for "Iced". Other than that, make sure that you have an interpreter. You will get along fine LOL:cool:

:cool: Don't bring up the following: King George, Valley Forge, Yorktown, Trenton, Sons of Liberty, or 1776.:cool: If offered Tea, don't ask for "Iced". Other than that, make sure that you have an interpreter. You will get along fine LOL:cool:
Not a problem, as we're still hung up on the Alamo!!:D

We do have this hang up about ice, we have it in our water, we have it in our tea. Asking for ice in Scandinavian hotels does get you some funny looks.:)

Don't wear a baseball cap, voluminous hawaiian shirt, loud (clashing) shorts, white sports socks pulled up as far as possible, white trainers (tennis shoes) and a bum bag (fanny pack)

Our last Holland America cruise I was wishing we had the franchise for that stuff, as the teenagers were 40 yrs old!!

lol! You'd be surprised just how affordable the Ritz is sometimes - a three course lunch is often cheaper (without wine) than the Afternoon Tea with a glass of Champagne. :)

So what is it about Afternoon Tea that puzzles you? Can I help?

I think I understand that it is basically an afternoon snack between lunch and dinner that is intended to be kept light.What confuses me and it shouldn't is tea selection and when to drink it

"and a bum bag (fanny pack)"

Don't use the word "fanny"... it means something else here, and it isn't very polite! (before someone asks, it's a slang term for a woman's nether regions) :eek:

fanny pack always makes me giggle

"and a bum bag (fanny pack)"

Don't use the word "fanny"... it means something else here, and it isn't very polite! (before someone asks, it's a slang term for a woman's nether regions) :eek:

Fanny

In CAN & USA it is also be a reference to buttocks/backside

I never called it fanny pack I use the term pouch

You want to come "oop north" then, a whole different language here :D One point to make though, Britain isn't just London, to our US friends, if you are making the journey over here, explore the whole of the UK, and not just London, there's Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the Lakes, Pennines, Yorkshire (anything north of the Watford gap really) is also stunning and friendly (and just as old as London ;) )

Claire (from Liverpool :))

one of the things I was going to do in my lifetime with or without my DW is fly into London spend a few days then then take the train to Scotland stopping along the way. Goingthru the West Coast thru Wales down that coast and then back to London. I hope to do that before I become infirmed or Die

What about our friends up in the Great White North?? Nothing irritates a Cannuck more than to be taken for granted.:D

I always thought that referring to a Canadian as a Canook was a Disparaging remark

As My DW and I get closer to retirement our cruise history grows longer,but we have come to the point we have cruisd the Carribbean as much as Possible.:)

It is obvious our next step it to cruise Europe. There are a number of cruises out of England that interest us, but as an American I feel we will be out of our element I know that some historian quoted that the United states and England was divided by a common Language.:confused:

My DW and I always strive to put our best foot forward when traveling and know and realize as some Americans do not always present themselves well.:(

I would like the opinions from our friends that live on the other side of the Pond,The proper do's and don't while cruising in Great Britian and proper behavior while ashore:D

The main thing is that when you don't understand what they said, instead of saying "Could you repeat that please, I'm having a hard time understanding your accent", say "Could you repeat that please, I don't hear as well as I used to". :)

I think it is very commendable that the OP wishes to practice good manners while visiting other countries and has asked for tips. Customs and manners can be very different throughout the world, which is why I usually go to the library and borrow a traveler's guide when planning to visit another country. Some of them are great sources of info on all aspects of travel, including customs and manners. For instance, in some parts of the world, it is considered very bad manners to chew gum, blow your nose, or point in public. In some places, tipping is considered an insult. Thus, it IS important to know customary good manners in other countries. I have a great little book that I always refer to when planning international travel. It is called "Behave Yourself! - The essential guide to international etiquette" (author Michael Powell). It gives you a few basics for different areas of the world, and after referring to it I always leave home feeling confident that I will know the right thing to do.

Thank You !!! This is exactly the feelings I was trying to convey when I posed the question that I did

Archived