important things to pack

czexrus

I thought you weren't supposed to bring your own toilet paper for fear of blocking the ship's plumbing system. :confused:

Instead of nightlights, I just went to the Dollar Tree and bought two of those little lights that attatch to your keyring. They're really small and the light is bright enough to see where you're going, but not so bright as to wake anyone else. I just removed the keyring and left them on the night table. We've even started using them at home.

To each his own, but seriously..one of the reasons I don't go camping is having to pack and remember to bring every single product I use at home. I cannot imagine, especially with the airline restrictions on weight and baggage fees carrying most of the items listed for first time cruisers. ON our first cruise, we took clothing out of our suitcase to make room for all the items we were told were essential. With 2 people in a cabin and all the drawers and closet shelves, we have never had a need for the over-the door organizer. We assign a drawers for each person. We set out our toiletries on the ample counter space and in the medicine chest when we unpack. We stagger use of the electrical outlets by charging cell phones at night and unplugging them in the morning when getting ready and using hairdryer and straighteners so we don't need a power strip or extension cord. We tried the 2-way radios and heard everyone on them but our family and besides they are too much trouble to keep up with. We meet at dinner and have a plan for the next day, and common meeting place and time; and leave a message on the stateroom phone if there is a change in plan. If we need duct tape, we can stop by the purser's desk. In 9 cruises, we've yet to use it. The night light never got used because we have a penlight on our keychain. I would never, ever bother to take a cooler and drag it on and off board. We carry a travel sized Downey Wrinkle Release and use the laundry services if the Downy and a good steam in the bathroom doesn't work. We try to color coordinate clothes to avoid carrying too many shoes. We carry a few travel sized toiletries. The liquor stores will provide bubble wrap to you if you ask. I don't carry a t-shirt for every day because we usually purchase t-shirts on the ship and in ports as souveniors and we just wear those when we run out. I carry 2 swimsuits so that I have one to dry while wearing one and I toss a couple of clothes pins in the suitcase to secure them on the balcony chair to dry. I pack my shoes, underwear, etc in the different sized zip locks which are used for dirty clothes, shoes for the return and these make packing and unpacking easier and don't take up valuable space in the luggage..also less embarrasing if you get chosen at the airport for a luggage check. Some people don't agree which is why there's information for every type on the boards. I prefer suggestions on how I can eliminate items from my luggage, so I'm not trying to be disrepectful to those who feel a need to carry these items; just saying there's different strokes for different folks.

Pack creatively and bring only the minimum and you won't have problems. You will find most things that you feel you must have, you really don't need. How many times have you come back from a trip and thought or said, "We really didn't need to bring all that stuff."?

We cruise (including a 14-day B2B) with two rolling carry-on "suitcases" and one personal item each.

We have a computer, cameras, one power strip, clothing and lots of accessories. Any "emergency" item we may need, we will bite the bullet and pay triple for it on the ship or get it at the next port of call.

Good to hear about packing lighter. I have been totally stressing about trying to get everything in to 22" suitcase and hand luggage.. as that is what I have. Plus, I can handle that. Admittedly, it would be nice to have larger piece of luggage, so I don't have to carry my heavier jacket, sweater etc on flight. With larger piece of luggage, I carry a DSL camera which takes up way too much space, but I won't part with it. I may end having to carry it rather than putting it in hand lugagge.

i'm pretty good with the mix and match clothing too. i had no idea people were bringing some of the things listed, but do what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. one essential item for me is a lanyard with a thin plastic pouch to hold your ID while you are hanging around the ship.

i also have a water proof ID carrying case that i wear while i'm in the water. i am super anal about leaving my documents on the beach while i'm in the water. so i put my credit card/id/money in a small ziplock bag, put it in the waterproof holder (just in case) and wear it ALWAYS. i always bring back up ID with me and leave it in the room (ID card, gun permit, etc - some sort of government issued id)

in terms of accessories - i bring 1 pair of earrings, 1 necklace, a head band, a pair of dress shoes, water shoes (if warranted by my excursion), and some comfortable teva flip flops.

they do provide shampoo and conditioner on the ship, but its usually not to my satisfaction - especially the conditioner so i always bring my own.

You should carry this not just on trips but with you also.

I have a printout attached to a guide card and I cover it with scotch tape.

All your doctors names, adressess and phone numbers

all the medicines you are on

any surgerious you might have have Date, where

any serious illness you have

or any conditions you have.

hgospitals stays when and where

You will not remember if you are under stress

Next of kin family members (not with you)

what cruise you are on

Even if you have a emergency band on the card will be faster

Mary

You should carry this not just on trips but with you also.

I have a printout attached to a guide card and I cover it with scotch tape.

All your doctors names' date=' adressess and phone numbers

all the medicines you are on

any surgerious you might have have Date, where

any serious illness you have

or any conditions you have.

hgospitals stays when and where

You will not remember if you are under stress

Next of kin family members (not with you)

what cruise you are on

Even if you have a emergency band on the card will be faster

Mary[/quote']

If you have significant medical issues or history, I would recommend using a RoadID. The interactive one has a website/pin number so that ER personnel can access as much information as you want to list online, including family contacts, doctor contacts, medications, etc. You can wear your RoadID on a wristband (several types), ankle band, or on your shoe. The product was created for runners and bikers, since they are frequently out on the roads alone and carry little with them. My daughter has a rare metabolic disorder and she wears one so that ER docs can immediately get info about a disorder they've likely never even heard of. Check it out online - it could save your life! The cost is very reasonable and they look just like a bracelet or watch.

I have a tap light in our carry on, it's an item already there, permanently packed. I take the batteries out and tape them to the unit, as it has turned on in my carry on in the past. ...

When I travel with a flashlight that turns in my luggage on easily, I just reverse the batteries when packing into my luggage. :)

The things that we always travel with are one of those pop up laundry hampers that lay flat in your suitcase. Perfect for storing dirty clothes and taking them to the washers. Especially on longer cruises. Also, we start saving the plastic bags that our newspapers come in the week before the cruise and use them for our shoes. Keeps everything else nice and clean and pairs together. A highlighter for the Princess Patter helps us keep track of things we want to do that day.

Kate

The things that we always travel with are one of those pop up laundry hampers that lay flat in your suitcase. Perfect for storing dirty clothes and taking them to the washers. Especially on longer cruises. Also, we start saving the plastic bags that our newspapers come in the week before the cruise and use them for our shoes. Keeps everything else nice and clean and pairs together. A highlighter for the Princess Patter helps us keep track of things we want to do that day.

Kate

I was really surprised when my DH decided to do the laundry on board. He took the pop up hamper down, threw all the clothes in the wash and left it in the laundry room. He went back and put everything except one of my bras into the dryer. (I don't dry bras in dryer) Anyway, when he went back to collect it, someone had stolen my bra out of the hamper, but left the hamper!!! :eek: I would have thought that the opposite would have happened. I'm annoyed that someone took my bra, luckily it wasn't an expensive one. :mad: Moral of the story, don't leave anything in the laundry room!

Kate

Yeah, we do that with newspaper bags too! :)

Is there an advantage of having a pop-up hamper over a trashbag? :confused:

Yeah, we do that with newspaper bags too! :)

Is there an advantage of having a pop-up hamper over a trashbag? :confused:

The only advantage is that it stands up in the closet and you don't have it in a wad on the floor. It's also nice taking it to the laundry room so you can fold things as they come out of the dryer. They are about 15" in diameter and 15" tall. We use them at home too.

It's a good idea to make photocopies of passport, drivers license and front and back views of credit cards. In case something gets lost or stolen you'll be glad you have a backup. With credit cards you'll need to have a record of who to call if they get seperated from you. With passports it's good to carry the copies when you don't carry the originals. On an Eastern Med cruise Turkish law requires the cruise line to retain all passenger passports so the originals are collected when you board (probably in Venice) and are returned after your last Turkish port. If in the meantime you visit Greece and Croatia a copy might come in handy. There could be other countries with similar laws as well.

Archived