important things to pack

czexrus

I know i read this somewhere at somepoint but i can't find it when i search. Does anyone have any list of what to pack. I'm not talking about clothes but like "nightlight" or "over the door organizer" , etc.

If anyone has ideas of items you would NEVER cruise without please let me know.

Thank you.

A power strip for all the charging needs of my electronics is at the top of my list. A night light for the bathroom is on there too; Pepto Bismal, insect repellant. I'm certain others will chime in with what they consider very important.

Don't go without one of those little stain remover pens - can save an outfit to be worn again! We always make sure to bring lanyards, highlighter, sticky notes, small (6 pocket) "shoe organizer" to hang in the cabin to organize small things, hats, strong sunscreen, small backpack to carry ashore, small first aid kit.

Insect repellent is needed at many ports. I got a portable alarm clock that has a nightlight built into it that I never cruise without. The cabin can get incredibly dark at night and keeping the bathroom door ajar with the light on doesn't work because the cabin is so small it lights up the room too much. So I just tap the nightlight bar on my alarm clock and use it to see to get to the bathroom during the night. ;)

Disposable cameras for snorkeling or beach excursions, a first aid kit, anti nausea meds, and a collapsible cooler to ice down drinks. Our room stewards have always kept our coolers full of ice for us. I like my wine chilled before I take it out onto the balcony to sip and watch the sun set. :D

We don't pack any differently for a cruise, than we would for any vacation. You don't need all the extra stuff that are on those "packing lists"....there are plugs in the cabin...unplug and replug as needed.

We've never needed to "ice down drinks"..throw an icecube into your glass! It works! You don't need a clock...they'll give you a wake-up call, if you need it...you're on vacation! If you're not in an interior cabin, there is PLENTY of light!

Not sure why you'd need a measuring tape....

If you need (for some reason) duct tape, I'll bet the maintenance dept. has it!

If you spill something, wash it off or send it to the laundry...

It's only a week...you don't need to bring alot of "extras"!

I know i read this somewhere at somepoint but i can't find it when i search. Does anyone have any list of what to pack. I'm not talking about clothes but like "nightlight" or "over the door organizer" , etc.

If anyone has ideas of items you would NEVER cruise without please let me know.

Thank you.

If you go over to the first time cruise board, there are many threads with packing lists. Go to that board, and under search put in "packing list" and it will bring up several of them. Here is the link to one such list.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=986205&highlight=packing+list

Keith

power strip or extension cord- i wasn't able to charge my camera because the plug is so low to the counter- wouldn' t fit-- so we always bring an extension cord or extension cord

travel alarm clock that i can read with out my glasses

extra reading glass for my hubby- he tends to lose them

We don't care to use a nightlight in the cabin, nor do we want to turn on the bathroom light (too bright) in the middle of the night. I have a tap light in our carry on, it's an item already there, permanently packed. I take the batteries out and tape them to the unit, as it has turned on in my carry on in the past. The tap light is turned on at night, left on the bathroom counter top, then off in the morning. The batteries last more than a week. It is a useful item even in hotel rooms and has saved us both from stubbed toes and harsh lighting.

Our carry on is always packed as we find we need the same items whether we are gone one night or 20. I think if I dumped it out on my bed, the list would be long, but it all fits into a small carry on.

Just be careful not to pack items that seem like a good idea to others, but that you won't be needing. The list can and will be quite different for all of us.

I'll chime in with a few things not mentioned yet.

-a second bathing suit - hate putting on a wet one! :eek:

-coffee travel mug - 16oz or so (can't get by with a small ceramic cup)

-plastic water mug/bottle insulated or not. 24oz or bigger (great for the pool, spa, or taking ashore. for ice & tea or water, much bigger than the plastic glasses from the buffet)

-already said but post it notes are great for leaving messages for your room steward or on your door for others.

Lastly, I used to bring a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies as they usually come in the time of year we cruise. I would give them to our steward on day 1 thinking they would really enjoy them. Found out a couple times that they don't really get the Girl Scout concept and don't think they really cared for the cookies. Oh well, though I was being creative!

Finally and most important - bring a go with the flow positive attitude and leave your worries behind! :D

One thing over everything else.

I wear glasses (spectacles) and have done so all my life.

Pretty short sighted without, and I cannot imagine being any more miserable than if I lost or broke them consequently I always always pack a spare pair of glasses, irespective of the type of holiday I am taking.

I know it is unlikely i the extreme that I will ever need them but it is almost a superstition now whereby I feel that if I didn't take them something would happen.

-travel alarm clock.

-highlighter for the cruise compass.

I do not take a night light. I prefer an inside cabin because of how dark it is. There are lamps by the bed anyways so in the morning I just turn on one of those.

Paul makes a good point. Plus, some things are just potential time savers - if I carry a tiny stain stick I can clean a spot off something vs. sending it to the laundry, which would cost $ and take a couple days. Sewing a button back on takes a few seconds vs. not having your only dress shirt to wear for the next 7 days. If you have 2 cameras, you can't charge them both at the same time in the same plug. If I get a rip in my suitcase, a piece of duct tape will fix it right now, vs. calling maintenance and taking hours to get some and/or figuring out how to otherwise carry my clothes off the ship!!!

Yes, most things you could find a fix for on the ship or do without, but do you want to spend valuable time on your vacation doing that? If I can pack a gallon sized ziplock bags with stuff like sewing kit, stain stick, etc. and throw that in my suitcase, I'd much rather do that than waste my vacation time - I think that's the biggest incentive for the "extras."

Fergus has some good points, as does the poster previous to her/him.

Just keep in mind any restrictions on weight of an airline you're using, or how much weight you want to lug around wherever you may have to move it (customs, for sure).

The old adage is still used as it is true: Take twice as much money and half as many cloths as you thought.

Emergen-C, Airborne, anything like that with the added Vitamin C. I have to travel for work and with people coming from all corners of the map - the added vitamins in your system will help you stay healthy througout your trip.

Insect repellent is needed at many ports. I got a portable alarm clock that has a nightlight built into it that I never cruise without. The cabin can get incredibly dark at night and keeping the bathroom door ajar with the light on doesn't work because the cabin is so small it lights up the room too much. So I just tap the nightlight bar on my alarm clock and use it to see to get to the bathroom during the night.

I have one of those and I love it. When I wake up at night I want to know if I have another 3 hours to sleep or 15 minutes.

I also take Purex 3-in-1 for laundry (packed flat in a zip lock), clothespins for the line in the shower, post its for notes to the steward, mardi gras beads to hang on my room number/mailbox so I can find my cabin easier.

Always take a hat, sunglasses, camera, my own shampoo and conditioner.

I do not take a night light. I prefer an inside cabin because of how dark it is. There are lamps by the bed anyways so in the morning I just turn on one of those.

Those "touch lights" that are battery operated just sit on the nightstand and one touch will help you find your way to the bathroom instead of waking up your friend by turning on the lamp.

We have, in recent years, trimmed down our "essential" list. We no longer drag a power strip, over-door hanger, duct tape. We still carry zip locks. We use them when we pack. We have even found zip locks for shoes. We pack our undies in zip locks, a quick whisk of the drawers with a disinfectant wipe and toss them in. Zip locks for jewelry (snack and sandwich sizes) and put them all in a larger zip lock and toss into a desk drawer. We pack empty zip locks for return trip. They don't take up room and in fact make a great time saver when packing and unpacking. Everything can be seen in the clear bags and yet they aren't dumped out on the conveyor belt or table in airport (we were "chosen" for a random luggage search). They are ready to put away in the drawers and on selfs when we get on the ship and they save room in the suitcase (squeeze out the air from the underwear bags). Gives me great peace of mind to know thta when I open the luggage, I can easily take the zip locks and toss them into the spaces without worry. I also pack the hanging clothes on wire hangers, inside the dry cleaning bags. Pop them out of the suitcase and straight into the closet and I'm set for the week with little effort and ready for the muster drill, and my sailaway cocktail.:D

You can even get ziplock bags in tiny sizes for little things - bobby pins, advil, needle/thread, jewelry, etc. Great if you want to pack some advil and zyrtec for going ashore. Find them in places like Michael's, ACMoore, or Hobby Lobby in the jewelry making and/or needlework section. They're available in 2X3", 3x5", 4x6" and other sizes. I always take several extras in different sizes - for shells from the beach, ticket stubbs or postcards you want to save, other small trinkets and souvenirs.

I got a roll up toiletries bag, same idea as an over door shoe hanger but smaller and could be rolled up with all my kit in it.

I had a power strip but didn't use it in the cabin, it turns out there are 220 AND 110V sockets available next to the coffee machine on the Star, I'd been led to believe the power point was under the bed somewhere.

I took a torch and used it to find my suitcases under the bed on the last night, the small carry on was hiding right at the back. Apart from that I didn't use it. I did use my little travel alarm clock, and though I don't normally wear one I took a watch, there are no clocks in the cabins and very few onboard either.

Headache tablets, sanitary wear (in case you need it if you're of that age and gender)and wet wipes are all very handy.

Archived