coffee in Italy

boandmeg

i almost hate to start a new thread.....people are so "touchy" on here if you start a new thread and it's on here already. However, i did try to find this and had no luck. I read in a travel book last nite, while i sat at Barnes & Noble and had coffee, that in Italy you get espresso. Can you order just a regular cup of coffee in Venice, Rome, Florence, just anywhere in Italy? Please forgive me if this has been posted, I'm new to Cruise Critic and still learning.

It used to be very difficult to get what we would call regular coffee many years ago when you were in Italy or for that matter in other European countires. These days many places serve what one would refer to as "American" coffee.

Keith

Yes, if you ask for coffee (Caffè pronounced caff-FAY) you'll get espresso (which everyone should try at least once in Italy; it's heaven in a thimble).

If you want coffee that's more "American-style" you can ask for either Caffè Americano or Caffè Lungo (LOON-go). Apparently, Italians also refer to this style as "dirty water". ;)

Also, a note on cappucino -- Italians drink this primarily in the morning; you won't find them requesting it as a pick-me-up in the afternoon or after dinner, for example. However, it's understood that you are a tourist and in most places Italians are well used to us ordering cappucinos at any time, so don't worry about it.

I have to say it was far and away the best coffee I have ever had, too. Just as CruiseMom says, I have heard that "only babies drink cappucinos in the afternoon" but they were so great it was hard not to drink them all day long. I was so shocked when we got to France and the coffee was not nearly as good, and the cappucinos came with a huge dollop of thick whipped cream! It tasted good, it was just so weird!

No problem starting the thread--there are just some topics that get new threads almost every day and have been discussed interminably--like taking the train to Rome!! This is a good one.

Cathy

I also want to add for the benefit of the OP and those who are afraid to post that people should not worry about starting a thread even if the item has asked before. I say this because things change all the time. Back when I first traveled to Italy you could not get an American type cup off coffee and what is true today may be different tomorrow. Also there are many new posters who have a lot of good information to share and they may not have commented when the question was asked last. Just ignore those who tell you to do a search. If I know there is a good old thread out there I will just find it and paste it in my response pointing the OP there.

Enjoy your time in Italy. What a wonderful country to visit.

Keith

Yes, if you ask for coffee (Caffè pronounced caff-FAY) you'll get espresso (which everyone should try at least once in Italy; it's heaven in a thimble).

I have the opposite problem. I agree that espresso is indeed heaven in a thimble. When I ask for un caffè, I often get the reply "Americano?" :p

Lisa

I have the opposite problem. I agree that espresso is indeed heaven in a thimble. When I ask for un caffè, I often get the reply "Americano?" :p

Lisa

I've had that happen too. Guess they want to make sure we aren't making a mistake.

Nothing's as good as an Italian espresso on a rainy, cool December morning in Rome. ;)

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but Americano is usually espresso cut with water...hotels may have what you are used to in the US more but also may not...i prefer the strong coffee so not a problem for me but be prepared...and no one will look at you funny if you just order caffe americano :) I've never had a cappucino anywhere in the world that was as good as Italy...even in the airport it's good! Enjoy!

I usually like the "americano" type coffee.......but tried one of theirs and it was gooooood. Found myself just drinking theirs instead of ordering mine.

Good memory: banana and chocolate crepes with French coffee at an outdoor cafe in Aix-en-Provence :D

Good memory: Croatian coffee and danish in Dubrovnik..... :)

Good memeory: Boconnotto and coffee in Rome ;)

Hmmm I think I see a pattern here......... ? !

If you want coffee that's more "American-style" you can ask for either Caffè Americano or Caffè Lungo (LOON-go). Apparently, Italians also refer to this style as "dirty water".

Too funny! My dear departed Neopolitan grandmother used to refer to Italian coffee as "Black Coffee" and American coffee as "Brown Coffee" :D

Does anyone know if "American" style coffee grounds are available in grocery stores in Rome?

Archived