train fare from Livorno to Florence

starwhite2

Some nice gentleman (forgot who, my apologies) put a wonderful website re. trains in Italy.

The fare he quoted was:

Ticket Cost:

1 classe – 9.50 Euro per person (one way) (children 4-10 about 50% less)

2 classe – 6.30 Euro per person (one way) (children 4-10 about 50% less)

When I go to the website

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/results.htm?cobrand=public&saleCountry=us&itemId=-1&cobrand=public&fn=fsRequest&isAtocRequest=0&c=USD&rows=1&oldFromCity=&oldToCity=&roundtrip=0&from0=LIVORNO&to0=FLORENCE&deptDate0=07%2F25%2F2010&time0=anytime&nA=1&nY=0&nC=0&nS=0

I'm getting $19.00 for economy seat for July 25.

E6.30 converts into $8.14. Quite a discrepancy. Can anyone explain?

Raileurope charges quite a premium for using their services. In the case of regional trains where there are no reservations (such as the Livorno to Florence train) you would be wise to simply purchase your ticket right at the Livorno train station.

Hank

Remember the Livorno Centrale station is about 3-12 kilometers (1.8-7.2 miles) from the port area, more or less, depending upon where your ship docks. If you are planning to go to Florence, Pisa or elsewhere on your own, walking to the station is not an option.

Remember the Livorno Centrale station is about 3-12 kilometers (1.8-7.2 miles) from the port area, more or less, depending upon where your ship docks. If you are planning to go to Florence, Pisa or elsewhere on your own, walking to the station is not an option.

Absolutely true. The best option is to simply get a taxi at the port to take you to the train station. Many taxis do not want to do this short haul, but there are always a few that will make the run. They generally want to charge about 20 Euros which works out to 5 Euros per person (4 per taxi). We have sometimes found better prices if there is a larger van taxi that manages to get a full load.

Hank

Last year my DH and I took the train from Livorno to Firenze. It was a very pleasant experience and we really enjoyed it (the train did get quite crowded). We were cruising on RCL's Brillance and RCL provided (for a fee) a bus from the ship to the train station and back to the ship. We purchased the train tickets online before our trip. Good luck!

Ellen

Euro Cruiser,

I looked at the website you posted www.trenitalia.com. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but for all the times available, the price is NA. Do you know why this is? I really just want to check traintimes online and will buy the tickets on the day, as has been suggested, but as it says NA I worry that these trains won't actually be running?

Many thanks for your help,

Helen

Archived