Helicopter Ride-which port and company rec?

jjlasolas

We are a family of 5 (all adults with one active senior) going on the Radiance Northbound. The family vote is to do a helicopter excursion in one of the ports. I have found several rides and companies but not sure which one to choose?

-Which port would you recommend that we do a helicopter ride?

-Which company would you recommend?

-What does the helicopter ride excursion usually include?

Thank you.

We used Temsco, first class operation. They operate out of both Juneau and Skagway. The xperience seems similar, did Juneau 10 years ago and Skagway just now. Depending on if you do the landing or dog sledding, they fly you up you for sightseeing then landing for a walk or dog sledding than back. Its short, pricey but the views and experience are well worth doing once if not many times ( if you got the $).

Beware that weather plays a big part in your experience or even if you get to fly if you choose dog sledding. Glacier viewing is less canceled as they don't fly as high as he dog sledding excursion.

Most helicopters seat 6, so you likely will get a heli all to yourself if you reserve directly. Check on transportation, with Temsco they wouldn't pick me up in Skagway as we booked independent.

Good luck.

We are a family of 5 (all adults with one active senior) going on the Radiance Northbound. The family vote is to do a helicopter excursion in one of the ports. I have found several rides and companies but not sure which one to choose?

-Which port would you recommend that we do a helicopter ride?

-Which company would you recommend?

-What does the helicopter ride excursion usually include?

Thank you.

We used Temsco in Skagway. We did the walk on the glacier. We thought about doing the dog sled but decided that we really wanted to see the glacier, not the snow covered glacier. It was amazing and worth every cent!!

Kim

Thank you for responding. Temsco was one of the companies I researched, but its always nice to hear personal recommendations. Thank you. I will look into reserving either at Juneau or Skagway.

When I was researching our Heli/dogsled tour it was widely reported on three helicopter tour companies out of Juneau; Temsco, Coastal and ERA. All are good companies. We booked independently with ERA and had a good experience. By booking independently we saved some $$ since there were 4 of us. (also they did not charge my 260lb husband any extra :)- but we also had a 50lb child with us) We also had good luck that ERA was able to fly that afternoon when other companies were not since they landed on a different glacier.

dhd3.jpg

I am also interested in booking something in Juneau. I had been looking at Era, they want $279. It appears that if I book through MGT Tours I can do the tour for $252 (not clear which company I will get) or that plus the city tour for $275. I cannot find the pricing on Temsco's website, they tell you to book through the cruise line if you're a passenger. It seems like I have to put in a booking request on their site before I find out what the pricing is (or else I am missing something).

• 2 weeks later...

Most helicopters seat 6, so you likely will get a heli all to yourself if you reserve directly. Check on transportation, with Temsco they wouldn't pick me up in Skagway as we booked independent.

Good luck.

Does the number include the pilot? How is the seating arranged?

I am a large person 250 pounds, will they squeeze three of us in the back seat or is there a seat up next to the pilot for me? Do they weigh you?

We did the helicopter ride in Juneu w/ TEMSCO. (pilot Chip Kalvin was awesome!!). We did the Pilot's Choice experience (but you can also do the regular glacier tour) It can be pricy but worth it. The glaciers were awesome and the experience is unforgetable!!!...as for weights, they do seating arrangements to balance the weights (for safety purposes). It does hold 6 people, that includes the pilot. Our children loved it and so did we!...we hope to be able to do it again someday....whatever you do,enjoy and have a happy sailing!!!!

We went on our cruise last month and did a glacier dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier through TEMSCO. It was awesome!! You can read my review on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/cruises/princess-cruises/island-princess-alaska-2010-short-review/

I wish I had photos ready but I'm still sorting through ~3,000 of them from the trip!

Does the number include the pilot? How is the seating arranged?

I am a large person 250 pounds, will they squeeze three of us in the back seat or is there a seat up next to the pilot for me? Do they weigh you?

On the helicopter we took with TEMSCO, it's 6 including the pilot. They assign seating by distributing the weight of the helicopter. I'm not sure if they will take all 5 passengers if you are over 250 lbs since you have to pay a weight supplement.

But maybe you'll be lucky like us because our flight had only 3 passengers. DH and I were asked to sit in the front with the pilot and the single rider was asked to sit in the back on the pilot's side.

I am also interested in booking something in Juneau. I had been looking at Era, they want $279. It appears that if I book through MGT Tours I can do the tour for $252 (not clear which company I will get) or that plus the city tour for $275. I cannot find the pricing on Temsco's website, they tell you to book through the cruise line if you're a passenger. It seems like I have to put in a booking request on their site before I find out what the pricing is (or else I am missing something).

Here is the price list for 2010 that TEMSCO e-mailed me:

Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter & Guided Walk (Juneau):

You’ll venture from wetland habitat at sea level to alpine ridges and thriving rain forest regions once covered by glacial ice. As you proceed, you’ll soar over deep crevasses, past hanging icefalls and around jagged spires. Finally, you’ll land on the well-renowned Mendenhall Glacier and explore its surface with our expert glacier guides.

Duration: Approximately 30 minutes of helicopter time and 20-25 minutes on the glacier. Times may vary due to weather and glacier conditions. (From the dock or your hotel, set aside 2 ¼ hours for your tour to include transportation)

Cost: $ 259.00.00 per person

“PILOT’S CHOICE” Glacier Explorer (Juneau):

Let the pilot be your guide on the ultimate helicopter tour! Go on a private journey to places of rare beauty few have seen. If our pilots could take their family and friends to their favorite spots, this would be the tour.

Duration: Approximately 50 minutes of helicopter time and 2 separate landings of 15 minutes apiece on the glacier. Times may vary due to weather and glacier conditions. (From the dock or your hotel, set aside 2 ¾ hours for your tour to include transportation)

Cost: $ 379.00 per person

Dog Sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter (Juneau):

Combine the excitement of helicopter flight-seeing with dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier. Once on the glacier, you will spend approximately 1 hour at the dog camp, which includes 25-30 minutes of dog mushing.

Duration: Approximately 30 minutes of helicopter time and 1 hour at Dog Camp. Times may vary due to weather and glacier conditions. (From the dock or your hotel, set aside 2 ¾ hours for your tour to include transportation)

Cost: $ 479.00 per person

Glacier Discovery by Helicopter (Skagway):

As you ascend above Skagway, you will view the Taiya Inlet and the once-bustling town of Dyea. This once-in-a-lifetime tour gives you the rare opportunity to explore one of Alaska’s grand glaciers. Once the helicopter lands, you will spend approximately 40 minutes touring the glacier with our expert guides.

Duration: Approximately 40 minutes of helicopter time and 40 minutes on the glacier. All times are approximate and may vary due to weather and glacier conditions. (From the dock or your hotel, set aside 2 hours for your tour)

Cost: $ 289.00 per person

Dog Sledding & Glacier Flight-seeing (Skagway):

Your estimated 30-minute total flight will take you to one of Alaska’s many pristine glaciers. Once on the glacier you will spend approximately 1 hour at the dog camp, which includes 25-30 minutes of dog mushing.

Duration: Approximately 30 minutes of helicopter time and 1 hour at Dog Camp. Times may vary due to weather and glacier conditions. (From the dock or your hotel, set aside 2 hours for your tour)

Cost: $ 479.00 per person

Sled Dog Summer Camp (Juneau):

Climb on board the specially designed 6-8 passenger wheeled dog sled and be whisked back in time by your team of energetic Alaskan huskies. Enjoy views of scenic Sheep Creek Valley, at the site of the historic AJ Gold Mine, where you will embark on an educational tour of Sheep Creek Dog camp. You will be entertained with real stories from the trail and legends from the days of the Gold Rush. Meet a real Iditarod musher, visit an exact replica of an Iditarod Race checkpoint, and tour a dog musher’s summer training camp.

Duration: Approximately 1 hour is spent at camp, and the wheeled cart ride is over a mile long on dirt trails. (From the dock or your hotel, set aside 2¼ hours for your tour to allow for transportation to and from the camp.)

Cost: $ 124.00 per person (PLEASE NOTE: This tour is land-based and does not include helicopter flightseeing or glaciers.)

Archived