My Epic experience

We got to Miami a few days earlier and stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay hotel. It was hard to tell if I enjoyed it or not. The hotel is under renovation and will not be completed until the end of the year. It was difficult getting in and out of the hotel. It wasn't the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. Would I return to this hotel? Probably not. Although to be fair, it may be different after the renovations are complete.

We grabbed a cab and left the hotel by 10:30 for a 10/15 minute cab ride to the port.

Arriving at the Miami port I noticed the colored tubing on top of what looked like a very large building from the back. Driving closer we realized it was the Aqua Park on top of the EPIC. The colors were bright and exciting. I knew my daughter was in for a thrilling week when I saw the Epic plunge.

It seemed like minutes from when we got out of the cab until we were whisked into the terminal and we were guided straight to the VIP check in lounge. I found this VIP lounge to be more personable then the VIP lounge in New York. Here we met our Concierge and Butler.

We were then taken straight up to our cabin within minutes after check in.

Our Cabin

We love the Aft Penthouses and couldn't wait to see ours. (11321) We walked in and had to put our cabin key card into the slot in order to get our lights functioning. I am still not sure if I like this idea. It is good for the people that forget to turn off the lights when leaving the cabin.

I immediately went and looked at the bathroom design. Not so bad. I actually felt like I would have more privacy here then when I stayed in the courtyard villa on the Gem. As I took a closer look, I noticed the bathtub/shower combo would not be best suitable for many. In order to shower, you would have to step into the bathtub which about a foot off the ground. The bathtub has a ledge you would also have to step over. I found this to be difficult getting in and out. (At times I felt as though I was performing in Cirque dreams) I inquired and found out they will be changing this set up in the near future to make it easily accessible. I was also told the flaw in the tub where the water flows over the ledge and onto the floor will also be fixed soon. I was also told the garbage can drawer under the sink will be removed and a new floor model incorporated. Other than that, I was quite pleased with my bathroom layout. Since it is positioned behind the bed it had two openings on each side of the bed to walk through. No one had to walk far or around the bed to get to the bathroom. I loved the medicine cabinet above the sink. The curtain in the bathroom was a plus. I wish I could say that it was sound proof, but I can't.

My round bed was so pretty and comfortable. I asked for memory foam pillows instead of the feather, as I always find the feather have an odor to them. There is plenty of storage space in this cabin too. We were able to place all our toiletries and items in drawers, cabinets, and closets (3). The closet that had the safe and shelves by the door, we only stored stuff we wouldn't be using much since it was too close to the front door and blocked it from opening if someone was using the closet. Our luggage slipped right under the bed nicely. Our deck was large enough to have two lounge chairs, two regular chairs and one table. We were still able to walk around.

On our cruise, NCL had not yet put out a DVD menu or had any dvd's on board to lend. I suggest taking a few of your own if you wish to watch movies, or you will be buying them off the television. The television now has Nick Jr and Nickelodeon channels on it. It also has account review, restaurant menus as well as a few others options that were being implemented as we were sailing. I found the film crew onboard to be very good and the shows on the television were great color and clarity as well as the ships cam.

At the time of my sailing cordless phones and slippers were also not available. I did have a regular phone that lit the room in the dark, There is a little lightbulb button that you have to press to make it turn off at night. Also, if any annoying little lights bother you at night, let your butler or cabin steward know and they will take care of it for you. I also found that at night you would need to close the bathroom door as well as the curtain, since it is a sensor light and will go on in the middle of the night if you roll over in bed.

I found the table in the cabin for in cabin dining was very tiny and was told they would bring a large one in if I requested any meals. I did have one meal in my cabin delivered from the Epic club, since I dined alone I left the small table. I found it not to be most comfortable, but managed.

Entertainment

I did get to quite a few shows and found Cirque Dreams and BMG to be my favorites. I also enjoyed sitting in Fat Cats and listening to Jazz and Blues music.

Dining

I always enjoy the restaurants onboard and this time got to eat at Moderno Churrascaria . I enjoyed the ambiance of this restaurant as well as the buffet they offered and the assortment of meats that was brought to the table by the Gauchos that served them straight off the skewer.

There were always plenty of seating up in the Garden Cafe. The buffet never seemed to get full. I loved sitting all the way forward in the buffet area and looking out on the water. Wonderful windows, with great views. Chicken curry at the buffet is always a favorite on NCL.

The Manhattan Room became a bit scary to enter at times, as someone greeted you and another scanned your clothes, to see if you were wearing the proper clothing. Many were turned away due to not having a collar on their shirts or wearing the wrong kind of shoes. Other than the strict dress code and feeling like we were being inspected head to toe, we really did enjoy dining there.

Crew

The crew was wonderful. Even though you knew they were extremely exhausted they were friendly and caring. They were excited to welcome us upon the Epic.

Final thoughts...

I really enjoyed this cruise. It was NCL yet it was very different from my typical NCL cruises. It was a fun experience. I would like to cruise on the Epic again in the future.

I have to say this is the very first time I have taken a cruise where I have not seen teens or kids sitting and hanging out in the stairwells. They seemed to have spots for all ages around the ship and enforced their curfew for children and young adults.

Next time I would love to try out a Studio cabin as they remind me of a small apartment decorated by Ikea, with a clubhouse atmosphere in the living room.

I have mentioned this before in previous posts, but I feel the people you sail with and meet on the cruise make the cruise very special. I have always met wonderful people, thanks to Cruise Critic and the roll call threads they have set up for us. Go to your meets and get to know the others sailing with you.

Any questions I will happy to try and answer them.

Thanks for letting me post my Epic experience.

Yes I have dailies, but have no idea how to post them. sorry.

Dawn

DSCF2360.jpg.d03b3fe90cc3ec4e8b34cb1cb1dd00f7.jpg

DSCF2353.jpg.5bf5f92c9abab9417fb22765f1bd3fd2.jpg

DSCF2363.jpg.39f65c5dc50069233eafe3b639e1e834.jpg

DSCF2342.jpg.270bcb742acc913c3b4979608d7a71c7.jpg

DSCF2357.jpg.6cd7acea7d989639c9153ddac561b753.jpg

"The Manhattan Room became a bit scary to enter at times, as someone greeted you and another scanned your clothes, to see if you were wearing the proper clothing. Many were turned away due to not having a collar on their shirts or wearing the wrong kind of shoes. Other than the strict dress code and feeling like we were being inspected head to toe, we really did enjoy dining there."

That really doesn't sound like NCL. What gives?

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Did you go to the Ice Bar? Bliss Lounge? How was the All Adult pool area? Was it really adults only? Thanks again.

Bliss lounge was very nice and different. A lot to look at. Interesting decor, sparkly floor. They had a fog machine when you entered that had a video of the people dancing on the dance floor. You had to walk through this fog to get into Bliss.

I did pass by the Ice bar, but never went it. Wear socks!

DSCF2405.jpg.65d136f67f0dc64fcab77fe397c31e94.jpg

Did not get to the pool area too much, since this was the only very crowded area on the ship. I am not sure if they kept the kids out. Alert... my 13 year old just said she saw all the kids going in the adult pool even though it was for adults only.

In between the pool area and Great outdoors is where they did Nickelodeon slime time. I did not see one "Nick" character anywhere onboard.

Hi, Dawn,

Could you take a moment to explain the dress code in the Manhattan Dining Room for me?

Thanks for posting....

:)

They basically would not allow shorts, t'shirts or shirts without a collar, and definitely no flip flops or anything that remotely appeared to look like them. So leave the $100.00 shape up sandal flip flops at home, or at least in the cabin when dining here.

"The Manhattan Room became a bit scary to enter at times, as someone greeted you and another scanned your clothes, to see if you were wearing the proper clothing. Many were turned away due to not having a collar on their shirts or wearing the wrong kind of shoes. Other than the strict dress code and feeling like we were being inspected head to toe, we really did enjoy dining there."

NCL always has one main dining venue that does not allow "casual" clothing. Recently, they started allowing jeans. I guess they are afraid some will take it too far otherwise.

Thanks Dawn. This is good information.

One more question: What is in "The Marketplace" between the rock climbing wall and Spice H2O on deck 15. I was guessing there are a lot of souvenir shops, but this looks like an open space, open to the elements like rain and wind.

I was wondering some on the casual dress code in the Manhatten as well.

What do you mean by "wearing the wrong kind of shoes."

What type of shoes are required?

I wore my $7.00 Old Navy gold wrap flip flops and had no problem. They are braided and have a back. They don't look like the typical flip flops and I had no problem.

I did see someone in the expensive shape ups get the boot. I think anyone wearing anything that looks like the typical beach flip flop will be told to change their shoes.

My thought on this is, it all depends on who is doing the inspecting.

I wore my $7.00 Old Navy gold wrap flip flops and had no problem. They are braided and have a back. They don't look like the typical flip flops and I had no problem.

I did see someone in the expensive shape ups get the boot. I think anyone wearing anything that looks like the typical beach flip flop will be told to change their shoes.

My thought on this is, it all depends on who is doing the inspecting.

I have some heels that I will be wearing, however, I was wondering for guys. Is it required for them to wear dress shoes? Or can they wear tennis shoes (like the kind that are black and don't look like tennis shoes).

What gives is in only 3 places NCL is sticking to its published resort casual dress code after 5:00 - no shorts, t-shirts, flip flops. That is the case in the Manhattan Room, Cagney's, and the Bistro. Feel free to enjoy the same menu as the Manhattan Room in Taste with your shorts, t-shirt etc.

Hi Dawn: Did you and your daughter share the bed or were they able to bring a roll-away bed. I have the same room and need two different beds for sleeping. Thanks:

We shared the bed it was pretty big. We also slept with eight pillows. Plenty of room! I think the suites only hold two, but I can be mistaken. There were studios right across the hall, you may want to check into that for a second cabin or a adjoining cabin.

I know the regular balcony cabins had a sofa (very hard one) that turns into a bed. Ask for a egg crate mattress topper if you decide to go that way.

One more question: What is in "The Marketplace" between the rock climbing wall and Spice H2O on deck 15. I was guessing there are a lot of souvenir shops, but this looks like an open space, open to the elements like rain and wind.

I saw nice lounge chairs and ping pong tables. It was a covered area, only open on ends so wind can blow through. They did set up clothing and souvenirs for sale one day. I didn't see any shops, but I would have had to stay another week to see everything on this ship.

The elevators and "entourage" (teen club) was right on the one side of that area behind the glass doors going inside.

I have some heels that I will be wearing, however, I was wondering for guys. Is it required for them to wear dress shoes? Or can they wear tennis shoes (like the kind that are black and don't look like tennis shoes).

It says in the Daily, Shorts are permitted in all outlets except The Manhattan room, Cagneys, and The Le Bistro after 5:00 p.m. Shoes and shirt must be worn, no tank tops, flip flops or baseball caps!

I would bring at least one pair of shoes just in case. If it is dark enough they may think those sneakers are shoes.

At times they sold things: gold by the inch, t-shirts, swim trunks for men, etc. Deck 7 had all the shops: shirts, jewelry, make-up, etc.

you mean you can't wear sneakers either in the Manhattan or Taste dining rooms? I wear them just because they keep my balance; I have bad knees and when the ship sways, they are better suited for me.

you mean you can't wear sneakers either in the Manhattan or Taste dining rooms? I wear them just because they keep my balance; I have bad knees and when the ship sways, they are better suited for me.

We were talking about Manhattan, not taste. At taste I'm understanding you can wear anything including shorts and sneakers.

I believe it they are fine to wear in "Taste". All you can do is try in The Manhattan room.

Now, when they say "shoes", some can take it as "not barefoot". ?

Thank you for the informative and balanced review. Dress code police seems to fly in the face of freestyle but I can understand and agree with the need in a few venues.

Thank you, you are very kind.

However, I did see a young boy (9 or 10) come into the "Epic club" in only swim trunks dripping all the way through the club and sitting at a table waiting to be served. A few minutes later I saw waitresses rushing over to help him get a shirt on and putting dry towels towels under him and under the table. He was not turned away or embarrassed in any way.

Archived