Daytrip from Rome to other Italian cities-What is doable besides Naples and Florence?

stipmom

I am flying into Rome for three days before the cruise. I have been to Rome before but still feel there is alot for me to see. However, on one of those days I would like to go to another Italian City that can be done in a day trip.

On our day in Naples we will spend the time exploring the city as we have not done that yet. Our first trip there we hired a private guide and did Herculaneum(not sure if I spelled it right), Pompeii and Sorrento. On our second trip we went to Capri.

Okay, thanks, now I get it. Although I can't imagine giving up a moment of time in Rome, I do have a suggestion.

How about Orvieto? It's a lovely town, with a lot to see, and an easy one hour train trip from Rome. There are fairly frequent trains all day.

I will second Orvieto.

Tivoli is also a nice day trip from Rome; you can see Hadrian's villa as well as Villa d'Est. But it's a bit of a bear to get to on your own, the easiest is to take a tour.

If you enjoyed Pompeii, the ruins of Ostia Antica (Rome's original port) are very close by, easy to get to by train, and a good day trip.

A little further away, although still easy to reach (especially since there is now a Frecciargento fast train that gets there in an hour and fifteen minutes) is Caserta, one of my new favorite places in Italy. The palace and gardens there are amazing ... they rival Versailles.

Although it has been years since I have been to Rome,this is my third time there and I understand what you mean.We will have a day and a half in Rome before our cruise. This is the private excursion we are doing the day the cruise comes back into Rome. SHHHH! It's a birthday surprise for the DH!!

excursion to the Chianti Countryside:

This excursion is taylored for a visit crossing the rolling hills of Tuscan Countryside to Montepulciano, very well preserved medieval town

in Italy, Pienza & Montalcino.

Your driver-guide or I will be pleased to meet you to the pier of your cruise shio at Civitavecchia to start your excursion.

Enjoy a leisurely 1.5 hours drive via modern highway through the rolling hills of Tuscany to Montepulciano famous for its "vino Nobile".

Upon reaching the town you have time for wine tasting in a vinery and the cellar where wine is aged in the oak barrel. After Montepulciano continue to Pienza, a quick visit to the town of the Pecorino cheese. Time at your leisure for shopping in the little store, artisan shops and for optional lunch and in the first afternoon continue to Montalcino famous for the Brunello

red wine. If interested you will visit some of the vineyard ( october is harvest time!!!)along the hills full of grapes and olive trees!

The excursion ends with a transfer to the Hotel in Rome.

Archived